cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Full Hookup Sites on Lake Michigan

bjkb1f
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a recommendation for a place to camp for a week on Lake Michigan. Would like it to be on the beach or walking distance to the beach and have full hookups. Holland state park is out due to no alcohol policy. The other state parks would work location wise, but only offer electric, which won't work for our group.

Thanks all!
21 REPLIES 21

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
ericosmith wrote:

Algonac is at least better than a parking lot. In fact the wagon wheel section is wooded with lots of shade. If you want the best view of the freighters though, you'd better have your finger on the reserve button 6 months in advance. The view is across the highway but still great.

I had my finger on it and scored one of those along the front road sites for 4 nights in September of 2016 for an extended weekend, and was happy as all get out. 2 weeks prior to heading up there work stepped in a boogered up those plans, maybe someday. Had the same scenario happen a few years before.

I had never noticed the wagon wheel section.

ericosmith
Explorer
Explorer
"Good info. Personally having lived right on a real beach for a number of years, the beach is not my cup of tea unless it's from a fishing standpoint. I'll take woods and mountains. Alconac has always been on the bucket list. I can live with a parking lot and no shade for a few days to watch the freighters."

Algonac is at least better than a parking lot. In fact the wagon wheel section is wooded with lots of shade. If you want the best view of the freighters though, you'd better have your finger on the reserve button 6 months in advance. The view is across the highway but still great.

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
I liked Indiana Dunes.

bjkb1f wrote:
Holland state park is out due to no alcohol policy.
How can they possibly enforce that?

They glass the park/beach and automatically eject any violators. Works very well.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
zcookiemonstar wrote:
Lake Michigan water level is really high. If we continue with the rains we had last year I am not sure there will be much beach to go to. If the camp ground is to close to the lake they may have sections closed too.

You could be correct if the Army Corps know what they're talking about. If the OP comes back to the thread I think he should start looking at making other plans. Holy cow, that's almost 4' higher than the long term average come July. Better take an innertube to sit in on the beach.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
GDS-3950BH wrote:
According to what can be easily found on Allstays and your MI DNR website as I was not going to waste much time looking.

Holland Sp has 31 FHU sites. Orchard Beach SP has 11. Wilderness SP has 18.

On Erie Sterling SP has some, as does Hartwick Pines SP and South Higgins SP inland, although I might add your DNR reservation site leaves a little to be desired trying to search out what's available.

None of these are actually lakefront. The FHU sites at Holland are 600 to 1000+ feet from the waters edge, with a large dune in the way. Orchard Beach is on a high bluff above the lake, the stairs to what used to be the beach are closed due to erosion. The FHU loop at Wilderness is 250 feet from the water, with trees in between.

South Higgins is on a large inland lake with a great beach, great fishing, and deep, crystal clear water. Hartwick Pines has no lake access, but does have a large stand of virgin timber.

If you manage to hit Sterling in between the spring mayfly hatch and the summer algae bloom, and don't mind the view of the nuke plant and total lack of trees, it's OK.

Good info. Personally having lived right on a real beach for a number of years, the beach is not my cup of tea unless it's from a fishing standpoint. I'll take woods and mountains. Alconac has always been on the bucket list. I can live with a parking lot and no shade for a few days to watch the freighters.

Anyhow Sterling is interesting, what a view LOL.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
GDS-3950BH wrote:
According to what can be easily found on Allstays and your MI DNR website as I was not going to waste much time looking.

On Erie Sterling SP has some, as does Hartwick Pines SP and South Higgins SP inland, although I might add your DNR reservation site leaves a little to be desired trying to search out what's available.

None of these are actually lakefront. The FHU sites at Holland are 600 to 1000+ feet from the waters edge, with a large dune in the way. Orchard Beach is on a high bluff above the lake, the stairs to what used to be the beach are closed due to erosion. The FHU loop at Wilderness is 250 feet from the water, with trees in between.

South Higgins is on a large inland lake with a great beach, great fishing, and deep, crystal clear water. Hartwick Pines has no lake access, but does have a large stand of virgin timber.

If you manage to hit Sterling in between the spring mayfly hatch and the summer algae bloom, and don't mind the view of the nuke plant and total lack of trees, it's OK.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
ericosmith wrote:
If there's a full hookup campground actually on Lake Michigan, I've never heard of it and I live here.

There is at least two that I am aware of and there maybe more. One is Wilderness state park, they have full hookup loop they added a few years ago and about 8 lots are on Lake Michigan. They may or may not have the best views of the lake with the vegetation in between but they are directly on the lake. Another is Manistique Lakeshore Campground. We are staying here this upcoming summer in fact. This one is also new within the last few years. Google pic

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
Lake Michigan water level is really high. If we continue with the rains we had last year I am not sure there will be much beach to go to. If the camp ground is to close to the lake they may have sections closed too.

GaryS1953
Explorer
Explorer
Holland State Park, on that beach parking lot campground, DOES have a few sites with water, not sure about sewer. All their sites have electric. That's the only park I know of on Lake Michigan that has both Electric and water.
Gary in Michigan
2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 Double Cab 5.3 Liter V8
1996 Coachmen Catalina RB210 21' Fifth Wheel
495 Watts Solar, 40 AMP Renogy Tracer MPPT Controller,2 GC2 6V Batts.

ericosmith
Explorer
Explorer
If there's a full hookup campground actually on Lake Michigan, I've never heard of it and I live here.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
..donโ€™t drink out of cans or bottles. They wonโ€™t even know. The policy is to keep out the loud obnoxious drunks!
Yep. Stay inside. Don't go walking around drinking and yelling at your neighbors.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
Holland SP is very strict on the alcohol rule. The beach is huge and open to day users, who line up down the highway to get in on weekends. Go to town Saturday afternoon, and it takes an hour to get back in the park.

It has two campgrounds, the beach campground which is a concrete parking lot in the sand, with no trees, no grass, and no firepits. Your neighbor is right next to your awning. The other campground is normal camping, with grass, dirt, trees, etc, a short walk from the Lake Michigan beach, with an inland lake across the road.

Perhaps the OP has already qualified himself out of his requirements, with his FHU requirements, without even going into the booze deal? It's been 4 or 5 years since we've been to MI, but don't your MI state parks only have FHU's in 5 or 6 parks, and of those a very limited number of them?

We stayed for 4 nights at the Holland Parking lot in 2013 in July when it was jam packed. Had a heck of a time even getting the reservation to begin with, sat with finger on the button when the window opened, and frankly it sucked.

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
I liked Indiana Dunes.

bjkb1f wrote:
Holland state park is out due to no alcohol policy.
How can they possibly enforce that?

We camp there, it's not like they do a inspection of your rig when you check in. Keep it discreet and don't get drunk and they won't give you any problems.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel