Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Northeast Ohio to Yellowstone with Kids!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Northeast Ohio to Yellowstone with Kids!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
mrdarcy2525

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the best route and stops to make from Akron/Canton area to Yellowstone and back. We have a 41' Fifth wheel. Would prefer not to return the same way we came and would take 12-14 days. Any tips are appreciated!

bid_time

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I-194 on the way out, I-90 on the way back.

Busskipper

Arnold,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mrdarcy2525 wrote:

What is the best route and stops to make from Akron/Canton area to Yellowstone and back. We have a 41' Fifth wheel. Would prefer not to return the same way we came and would take 12-14 days. Any tips are appreciated!

You have looked at the Map - with the few stops along the way it close to 2000 miles in each direction likely 40 hours of Driving. just to get there - last time I was in Yellowstone we drove over 600 miles just in the Park, so miles of driving, possible but not without the drivers paying a price.

Possible to get that third weekend and make this 16.5 days then maybe you will only spend half the time driving.

If you only have 12 to 14 days check in with Southwest or ...... for airfare, Seriously.!

Look at the MAP

Get more time,

* This post was edited 01/13/20 02:27pm by Busskipper *

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
MDX-FMCA--M&G Brake
States traveled in this Coach

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 long trip ,not enough time.. frontier airlines is my best advice.

bid_time

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Busskipper wrote:

mrdarcy2525 wrote:

You have looked at the Map - with the few stops along the way it close to 2000 miles in each direction likely 40 hours of Driving. just to get there - last time I was in Yellowstone we drove over 600 miles just in the Park, so miles of driving, possible but not without the drivers paying a price.

Possible to get that third weekend and make this 16.5 days then maybe you will only spend have the time driving.

If you only have 12 to 14 days check in with Southwest or ...... for airfare, Seriously.!

Look at the MAP

Get more time,
I did it from SE Michigan with 2 weeks vacation. 3 days driving out there, 10 days in the park, 3 days driving back. Nearly 1800± miles one way, 600± miles per day, longest day was 13 hrs (698.7 mi.), shortest was 10-1/2 hrs (618.2 mi.).

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

600 mile days with 2 kids is no vacation. It can be done but no one will enjoy the trip.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/20 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have taken trips like that and enjoyed them. However, if you could add even one day on each end it would make it more driver friendly. We frequently put on 600 +/- in a day and it does not bother me. When we get fuel, my wife puts together some food in the TT and we eat while driving. Our gas stops include restroom break, wife gets food ready while I fill the tank and check out the TT & truck and we are gone again. My daughters grew up thinking this was normal travel.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

yr2017

Montana/Panama

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mrdarcy2525 wrote:

Two weeks is the minimum amount of time. Driving days are long but doable if you have a second driver. If not, do a fly/drive

Big AL -
1977 Skookum 53, DD453, slps 6, 2 heads in Panama - cruising the Pearl Islands

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tyler0215 wrote:

600 mile days with 2 kids is no vacation. It can be done but no one will enjoy the trip.
We do 600 mile days trips pretty frequently. Not only is it doable, it can also be no less enjoyable as any other trip. You must have Debbie Downer along in your ride

I'd rather do 3- 12 hr days then 4 - 9 hr days, and have 2 more days of vacation. But that's just me, YOMV.

* This post was edited 01/13/20 06:12pm by wing_zealot *

Busskipper

Arnold,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK - OK Can you do it? Sure ...........Is it FUN.......?

A long time ago while I was in my late 20's took the DW Coast to Coast, her/our first of many trips through the years. Saw too many parks to mentions, but will try - all the major ones - Had the truck Mirror in Most of the Pictures but we did take pictures with film - saw it But Did not Touch it - so can you drive 4-5-6-7-8-9 hundred miles a Day and Enjoy it - I did, BUT would never recommend that to anyone with Kids. (Oh, this may explain it, did I mention I'm just a little Crazy)

I love to Drive (Have somewhere between 3-4 million miles behind the wheel) and on that particular trip I think I had 4 days of 900+ miles - lot of driving - Did Annapolis to Mt Rushmore in two Days - got there in time to see the sunset ceremony - Next day/night in Old Faithful Lodge, Saw Old Faithful, drove through most of the park down to the Tetons and out to Glacier for the next night in Glacier NP Had to go into Canada 1/2 day then some sleep before another long day to Redwood National Park on the Coast - PCH to San Francisco then over to Reno/Tahoe, that was the first 8 days. - maybe 9 let’s see.

Now from there, a couple National Parks - Yosemite and Sequoia before Disneyland then over to Vegas, saw a show. Another 8 days.

Now on to Sedona and the Grand Canyon before heading to Monument Valley then Mesa Verde – Dunton Springs/Lizard Head Pass (Didn't know it was a Pass) all of this is just what I call Drive trough’s.
Through Buena Vista to Some Big Hotel outside of Colorado Springs - (called the Broadmoor - Parents said I had to go) then up to Estes and to I-70 East – In two days we arrived in Rehoboth Beach for two nights before I had to be a Work - Teaching and Coaching..... Those were the Days, 23 days of Pure FUN - Bought Gas in Denver for 24.9 cents a gallon (1971) Brought back Coors and Olympia Beer - by the time we drank it, it was skunked, but trust me back then few friends had even heard of them, so they all Loved it.

Map of 21 day trip Coast to Coast and Back

So Yes if you are slightly crazy - have a partner who is willing to sleep while you drive - DW has less than a 1,000 miles driving with me in the Vehicle in over 50 years - I Drive she Navigates always.

So can you do it – Sure Go for it – BUT – If more Time is available grab it.

That’s my Story and I’m Sticking to IT.

[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Northeast Ohio to Yellowstone with Kids!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.