Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Battery Replacement Assistance
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Battery Replacement Assistance

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
jawsthemeswimming428

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am ready to replace my travel trailers factory installed group 24 rv/marine battery. I briefly searched the forum/internet and found a lot of good info but still wanted to post the question with my exact circumstances here. We have a 2016 Forrest River Flagstaff 23LB travel trailer. Most of the time, we camp with shore power. However, there is at least 1 time a year that we camp dry. With the factory group 24 we haven’t been satisfied. Mostly, the 1 time a year we camp dry is in the early fall. We want the ability to use the lights at night (sparingly), the on demand water pump for dishes and showering, and the fridge for a 3 day camping trip. Our fridge will run on propane but from what I’ve read the control board still needs 12v for power.
Would a true 12v deep cycle battery accommodate this? If so, what brand/model do people recommend? If not, what other recommendations are there? I know of the 2 x 6v golf cart battery setup but would that be overkill for once a year? I appreciate any help!

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Short answer is no. You won't find a 12 volt battery that will do what you're asking for one time a year.

You have a few options. two 6 volts. I agree though that would be overkill for your situation. Is there enough room to mount two batteries?

Two 12 volts. Probably still overkill for one weekend a year. Is there enough room to mount two batteries?

Or bring a spare battery once a year and put it on the ground by the trailer tongue. Then use some jumper cables to hook the batteries together.

Solar might help. but for once a year it's probably not the best option.

2 six volt or two 12 volt batteries is basically the same price. But at that price range the 2 six volts store more usable power.

Another option, have you ever considered a small generator? This would probably only be cost effective if you have a need for the same generator at home when not camping.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/20 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My opinion, not that it's worth much, for a coupon and less than $100 you can get a 900 watt generator at Harbor Freight. That and a cheap battery charger hooked up for an hour or 2 during the daylight hours should carry you through the night. Of course that is dependent on the tolerated noise levels for a generator during the day where you are dry camping.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ Or as Schlep1967 says above for Harbor Freight.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/20 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What you want to do will require a small generator, or solar power with a battery bank. For once a year, best option, you could rent a small generator, or better yet, borrow one from a friend or relative.

Depending where you dry camp, in early Fall, you may need to run the furnace, which takes up a lot of battery.

Jerry

jawsthemeswimming428

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do have room for 2 batteries. There is currently one battery box for my group 24 but there is an empty spot on the rack next to it that looks like it accomodates another similar battery. How much would a 2 x 6v or 2 x 12v setup cost (ball park)? I'd rather not do a generator since I don't like when other people use them either (don't need the noise camping in the woods). I don't really have a spare battery that I'd want to bring to do that with the jumper cables. My trailer says it's solar ready but I think when I've looked before that is only 1/3 the battle. There are still a lot more costs. Appreciate all the suggestions.

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We run twin group 27 when dry camping. We run TV and video every night and furnace including all you mentioned. We are good for three nights max.

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife & 4 Really Fun kids
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L 24 valve V-6
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS">

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jawsthemeswimming428 wrote:

Would a true 12v deep cycle battery accommodate this? If so, what brand/model do people recommend? If not, what other recommendations are there? I know of the 2 x 6v golf cart battery setup but would that be overkill for once a year? I appreciate any help!

At Costco:

One 12V Interstate deep cycle (150ah) - $239
Two 6V Interstate deep cycle (210ah) - $198

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/20 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jawsthemeswimming428 wrote:

I am ready to replace my travel trailers factory installed group 24 rv/marine battery. I briefly searched the forum/internet and found a lot of good info but still wanted to post the question with my exact circumstances here. We have a 2016 Forrest River Flagstaff 23LB travel trailer. Most of the time, we camp with shore power. However, there is at least 1 time a year that we camp dry. With the factory group 24 we haven’t been satisfied. Mostly, the 1 time a year we camp dry is in the early fall. We want the ability to use the lights at night (sparingly), the on demand water pump for dishes and showering, and the fridge for a 3 day camping trip. Our fridge will run on propane but from what I’ve read the control board still needs 12v for power.
2x 6v is not overkill and is for many a basic minimum for off-grid camping. Possibly get 2x G27 from Costco/Walmart but you will not save much or anything.

Next issue is your charging system. Many trailers have a converter that just does a trickle charge and you lose capacity from chronic undercharging. Post your converter model for best answers.

Or the battery is often left to discharge in storage between trips giving permanent capacity loss.

Factory stuff generally is not really up to snuff for operating off-grid for more than 18 hours.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1x a year for 3 days, cheapest option is hook up the rv battery to the tow vehicle battery with a good set of jumper cables and let it charge for a few hours with the truck running (if it's a gasser, it will be quieter than pretty much any generator).

Otherwise, you have to buy power somehow. More battery(s), solar, generator with charger, something.

Edit: You did say there were other people around. Mooch some battery charging of your neighbor with the "noisy" generator you don't like?
Only cost a few beers and maybe you'll make a friend and get used to generators.
Or swap your half dead battery for the neighbor's with the generator, under the cover of darkness....riskier than mooching power for beer though.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Battery Replacement Assistance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.