Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Battery Replacement Assistance
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Battery Replacement Assistance

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
rrupert

NW PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can conserve battery power by switching to LED interior lighting if you haven't done it already. The old bulbs can eat a lot of power.

Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU

mbopp

Henrietta, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/20 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got 2 Duracell 6V batteries and cases at Batteries Plus. 10% off if you order on-line & pickup in the store.
I converted our old trailer to LED lighting, the new one already had it. The only incandescent bulb I replaced was the stove hood light.
Another 12V draw is the defroster strip around the fridge door. On my Dometic I could turn it off, not so on the Norcold.

2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

jawsthemeswimming428

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tvov wrote:

So how are you not satisfied with your existing battery setup? Does the battery die before the 3 days are up?

We routinely camp in non-electric campsites, and with careful use of power (similar to what you posted - lights used sparingly, refrig on propane, and using water pump), we easily last 3-4 days camping, with battery power left over.

Are you sure something else isn't draining your battery? or... as happened to us early in our "camping career", daughter was playing the CD stereo in the camper all day while we were gone... lol!

Otherwise, sounds like the 6v batteries are the way to go.

We are actually thinking of getting a small generator this year. We find ourselves going to non-electric campgrounds / parks more and more as time goes on.

Our current setup lasts less than 24 hours with the fridge, on demand water pump, and minimal lights. I think we were given a bum battery by the dealer when we originally purchased. It tested fine but we’ve had nothing but issues.
Maybe it is parasitic draw? Or something else? I’m not too handy with electrical. Is there an easy way to troubleshoot this?

jawsthemeswimming428

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

prichardson wrote:

My recommendation is the 2 6V set up as it gives you the most flexability. However, if your TT is a newer one that has LED lighting and you do not need the furnace 3 nights is not a problem if you use a Group 31 deep cycle battery.

The 2 x 6v setup sounds nice, but we only use it once a year. My TT is a 2016 and does have LED lights. We definitely don’t need the furnace on battery. Do you have a recommendation on a good Group 31?

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jawsthemeswimming428 wrote:

If I went with the 2 6v is there anything else that needs to be done to accommodate other than wiring them in tandem?

You need one additional wire to hook the 6 volts in series. Icing on the cake but not required are 2 new 6 volt battery boxes and POSSIBLY a new charger.
Link to 6 volt battery box
Link to a battery cable
And a strap to make adding and removing the 6 volts a heck of a lot easier.
Link

Our current setup lasts less than 24 hours with the fridge, on demand water pump, and minimal lights. I think we were given a bum battery by the dealer when we originally purchased. It tested fine but we’ve had nothing but issues.
Maybe it is parasitic draw? Or something else? I’m not too handy with electrical. Is there an easy way to troubleshoot this?

You mentioned the fridge, water pump and lights. If that is all the power draw that you are aware of then yes the battery should last a few days and you have something else drawing down the power. If however you are also running the furnace then that is your big draw. Typically people figure one night of furnace for one battery. So if you have two batteries you should get two nights of furnace. Of course the real determining factor in battery longevity is how warm you set the furnace at night. If it's set for 73 degrees your going to drain the battery a lot faster than if it was set to 63 degrees.

The 2 x 6v setup sounds nice, but we only use it once a year. My TT is a 2016 and does have LED lights. We definitely don’t need the furnace on battery.

If your trailer is a 2016 there's a decent chance you already have a 3 stage charger. Did you get any paperwork with the trailer, maybe an owners manual for the power center with all the fuses and circuit breakers in it? that will probably give at least a model number that we can look up to help you out.

As far as troubleshooting your battery draw. The easiest way is with a digital multimeter. Even a cheap one $7.99 from harbor Freight (free with the right coupon) will help. If you have or can borrow a meter we can help you use it.

And here's a link to a recent battery discussion which has diagrams for hooking up 6 and 12 volt batteries. Link

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

jawsthemeswimming428

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

If I went with the 2 6v is there anything else that needs to be done to accommodate other than wiring them in tandem?

You need one additional wire to hook the 6 volts in series. Icing on the cake but not required are 2 new 6 volt battery boxes and POSSIBLY a new charger.
Link to 6 volt battery box
Link to a battery cable
And a strap to make adding and removing the 6 volts a heck of a lot easier.
Link

You mentioned the fridge, water pump and lights. If that is all the power draw that you are aware of then yes the battery should last a few days and you have something else drawing down the power. If however you are also running the furnace then that is your big draw. Typically people figure one night of furnace for one battery. So if you have two batteries you should get two nights of furnace. Of course the real determining factor in battery longevity is how warm you set the furnace at night. If it's set for 73 degrees your going to drain the battery a lot faster than if it was set to 63 degrees.

The 2 x 6v setup sounds nice, but we only use it once a year. My TT is a 2016 and does have LED lights. We definitely don’t need the furnace on battery.

If your trailer is a 2016 there's a decent chance you already have a 3 stage charger. Did you get any paperwork with the trailer, maybe an owners manual for the power center with all the fuses and circuit breakers in it? that will probably give at least a model number that we can look up to help you out.

As far as troubleshooting your battery draw. The easiest way is with a digital multimeter. Even a cheap one $7.99 from harbor Freight (free with the right coupon) will help. If you have or can borrow a meter we can help you use it.

And here's a link to a recent battery discussion which has diagrams for hooking up 6 and 12 volt batteries. Link

Thanks for the links, I’ll check them out.
Correct, there will be no furnace use on battery power.
I’ll check when I get home later on the paper work for the power center. If not, where would I find the charger? I’m not sure what/where they are usually located? I’d like to put eyes on it to verify the model number if that’s possible.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 09:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It might be built into the back of the fuse panel. On mine I can remove the drawer right above the fuses and look down inside the cabinet. There might even be a model number on the front under the fuses.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're not running the furnace then something is definitely dragging your battery down prematurely. Check if there is an antenna booster button behind the TV. make sure it is turned off when not in use.

See if you can also get a make and model off the refrigerator, there might be a label inside the door. Some refrigerators have a heated strip on the door that pulls a lot of power.

Maybe visit the trailer while it's dark outside and open all the compartments both outside and in. See if there is a light that got left on that is drawing power.
If you have an inverter make sure it is turned off when not in use.

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your frame will handle two 6v batteries end to end, here is the battery box you would use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QJ2........yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Charles

jdc1

Riverside, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 09:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oasisbob wrote:

We run twin group 27 when dry camping. We run TV and video every night and furnace including all you mentioned. We are good for three nights max.

Costco group 27's are about $80 each

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Battery Replacement Assistance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.