cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Two Weeks in Canada

happycamper46
Explorer
Explorer
Hello...I'm new to this forum and would like to ask for some expert advice. My family (4 total w/two kids ages 9 & 12) will be in Washington visiting the sites and national parks, then will have another two weeks to explore Canada in July.

We will be coming from North Cascades NP and would like to drive into Canada, then home to Colorado at the end of the two weeks. (We'll be on the road for a total of one month, spending two weeks in WA and two weeks in Canada.)

I'm overwhelmed by everything to see and do in Canada in that timeframe. Where would be the top places we should visit, see, do, and camp? We'll be pulling a 35 ft. trailer.

We are an active family and like to hike and explore. Thank you!!
15 REPLIES 15

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Also there is another Hot Springs ( Ainsworth Hot Springs ) about 10 or 12 miles south east of Kaslo on Hwy 31. They have a cave you can swim through. Back when we were kids there were no lights in the cave. Another 15 minutes south east of Ainsworth Hot Springs is another ferry ( Kootenay Lake Ferry) this ferry is the longest free ferry ride in the world. Even if you donโ€™t continue on Hwy 3-A towards Creston BC. A back and forth trip on the ferry is well worth the views. You can also do Day Hikes up Kokanee Glacier. Easiest access is from the Nelson side off Hwy 3-A. You donโ€™t want to take your trailer up to the parking lot as the road is gravel and parking space is limited. There is also a zip line up that road, however I havenโ€™t done that, but have lots of friends that have. Also look up Cody Caves, I think they are open again during the summer, but you will have to heck thatโ€™s out yourself.
Tons more stuff to keep the kids and mom and dad busy.
Soup
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

thomasgunnar
Explorer
Explorer
happycamper46 wrote:
Thank you for the tips! I did book sites last night. I got the very last spots available (for my size) in those areas, and the sites are less than desirable. But, I'll make it work. I thought I was giving myself enough time to book (7 months out). In Jasper, I could only get the overflow camping area (basically a parking lot with no services). I called KOA in Jasper this morning and luckily got a spot...not perfect, but at least I'll have some hook-ups. I will book earlier next time I plan a trip to Canada. It will be super busy, but have to do these trips in the summer when my kids are out of school. Some day, hope to have the flexibility to go anytime of the year. Thank you everybody!!

The Jasper KOA is pretty much a parking lot but has everything you need and staff has always been pleasant with us. Playground, full hookups etc. If you like baked lasagna or pizza Gus' Pizza in Hinton is a must.
Chris
2003 F350 CC,4x4,6.0,Zoodad, 3 Pod Pillar Gauges, Sinister Coolant Filter, Scangauge II, Blue Spring Kit
2006 Jayco Eagle 301RLS 33'

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Donโ€™t have anything particular to add except that it sounds like a great trip. Have fun!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

trigley
Explorer
Explorer
The problem in Jasper is that Whistlers, by far their largest campground, is being totally rebuilt and will remain closed until 2021. The KOA you mention will be at Hinton, about 15 minutes outside the Park Gate, an hours travelling time from Jasper Townsite and a bit more to most of the attractions you will want to see. I just wanted to be sure you are aware of this.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
The Soup-man knows that area like the back of his hand. :B
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
happycamper46 wrote:
Wow, Soup! Thanks so much! Great info. I will research all this now. Very helpful!

If you need anymore info just drop me a line.
Soup.
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs

happycamper46
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, Soup! Thanks so much! Great info. I will research all this now. Very helpful!

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
happycamper46 wrote:
Thank you for the tips! I did book sites last night. I got the very last spots available (for my size) in those areas, and the sites are less than desirable. But, I'll make it work. I thought I was giving myself enough time to book (7 months out). In Jasper, I could only get the overflow camping area (basically a parking lot with no services). I called KOA in Jasper this morning and luckily got a spot...not perfect, but at least I'll have some hook-ups. I will book earlier next time I plan a trip to Canada. It will be super busy, but have to do these trips in the summer when my kids are out of school. Some day, hope to have the flexibility to go anytime of the year. Thank you everybody!!

Also look at taking Hwy 6 from Vernon BC over to the Needles Ferry ( free ferry ) and then North up towards Nakusp, from Nakusp and across the Shelter Bay ferry on Hwy 23 to Revelstoke.

Two campgrounds to look at are at Burton BC
Burton Campgound.
And the Nakusp Hot Springs campgroundNakusp Hot Springs..

The campground at Burton is a nice small community campground with clean shower ( buddy built them) and some spots with hook up. This campground is located on the shores of the Arrow Lakes ( Columbia River)
The Nakusp Hot Springs campground is on the edge of Kuskanax Creek. The Hot springs are about 150 ft across the hot springs parking lot/ rod. The hve watwr Nd some with power.

There is so McDonald Cr. provincial park ( BC Parks ) campground again on the shores of the Arrow Lakes. This campground is very busy and hard to get a โ€œ good siteโ€. Itโ€™s between Burton and Nakusp on Hwy 6.

Also if time permits leave you rig in the campground and drive to New Denver still on Hwy 6.
10 minutes outside of Nakusp headed towards New Denver there the two campgrounds on the shores of a mountain lake called Summit Lake one campground is called Summit Lake Provincal Park campground.
The other is Three Islands Resort. We stay at Three Islands al lot during the camping season. They have nice clean washrooms with hot showers, laundry, full hook ups 15 and 30 amp. Row boat rentals peddle boat rentals and firewood.
summit lake is great place to fish and the best fishing is right in front of Three Islands.
Three Islands

New Denver is on the shores of Slocan Lake. New Denver has a campground which is on the shore on Slocan Lake but this campground will require a reservation if you desire to stay here.
My kids were on the phone for this campground the morning the reservations opened to book a long weekend in the summer, and they got the site they wanted but the system crashed shortly after that.
New Denver Camping

Once in New Denver if you follow Hwy 31-A over the hump driving past a couple small mountain lakes ( good ice fishing there) to Kaslo.
In Kaslo you can tour the dry docked paddle wheeler built in 1898 the Moyie. Kaslo is on the shores of one of the biggest Lakes in the Kootenay region. This lake is called Kootenay Lake the other big lake is the Arrow Lakes.

If hiking is to your liking Idaho Peak is for you guys, which is about 10 minutes up Hwy 31-A and then off to the right up a gravel road past the Ghost town of Sandon. ( YouTube Idaho Peak BC) there is a guy that will for a price drive you up to the parking lot up the mountain.
Idaho Peak Shuttle
Hopefully the road will be open when you get there as snow usually lasts. until the first week of July. Itโ€™s not a hard hike, and the views are spectacular.

From Nakusp take Hwy 23 north to Revelstoke and Hwy 1, again you will be crossing the Arrow Lakes, again a free ferry ride, this time the Galena Bay / Shelter Bay ferry. All inland ferries in BC are free.
From the ferry crossing at the Needles ferry through Nakusp all the way to Revelstoke, you will be following the shore line of the Arrow Lakes. However after the Shelter Bay / Galena Bay ferry you see less and less of the Arrow Lake ( Columbia River) as you start to climb and get farther away from the shoreline.
I live in this area south of the Needles Ferry by about 40 miles on the Columbia River. Before the camper we have now, I pulled my three 5th wheels all around the areas I talked bout. My last two 5th wheel were 32, and 35 ft long, and I got on and off the ferries no issues.

Google the places I talked about above, there is a lot of stuff for kids to do here.
Which ever way you decide to go, have fun.
Soup.

happycamper46
Explorer
Explorer

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Have you booked places to stay in the Banff / Jasper area. If not you better start looking and booking campsites ASAP. All BC provincial ( BC Parks) and Canadian National parks do not permit anyone to camp or stop over night except in their campgrounds. The Okanogan Valley ( Osoyoos, Kelowna, Vernon area) are really busy in the summer as are Banff and Jasper, sites will be difficult find when just driving up.
Good luck on your trip.
Soup.

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
When we were inquiring about heading to Canada a couple years ago, the most reply was make reservations early because everyone in Canada camps. We entered Canada on a Sunday in late May when all the campers were going home from the weekend. That is no lie...there were hundreds of campers on the road. Heading into Banff it was unreal all the campers leaving. So my one main advice is make reservations
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

happycamper46
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the help. We got everything booked for Canada. We decided to go through Oroville and spend some time around Kelowna, then head over to the Banff area and explore the surrounding parks, then up to Jasper, then home to Colorado. Hope to plan another trip to Canada in the future to explore more of the BC area. Lots to see and do!

Flyboy320
Explorer
Explorer
Contact BC Tourism and get them to send you ALL of their info so you can find what best suits your family.

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
There's plenty in BC, so rather than drive beyond and lose time, I would also focus around Penticton, Kelowna and the valley. Or stay west and certainly there's a lot around Vancouver. If you wanted to drive and still stay in BC's more remote areas, go north. So it really depends on what your priorities are - we found active spaces 4 hour pre teens all over, but since we like to have teachable themes, we chose fruit production, logging, and roadways because of the highway thru hell TV series they watch.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.