Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Installing After-market Rear View Camera Issue
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Installing After-market Rear View Camera Issue

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Hoerschel

Colorado Springs

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/20 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently bought a Four Winds 28A from Cruise America and attempting to install a highly rated wireless rear view camera. Upon drilling into the back wall I discovered a layer of sheet metal that apparently is interfering with the wireless signal from the camera to the monitor in the cab. The manufacturer of the camera has offered to send me a booster antenna with 13' cable to install on top of the rig and closer to the monitor. However, I'm still concerned the metal layer is going to interfere. Has anyone had this experience and any recommendations? I'm trying to avoid installing a wired unit due to the extra level of work involved.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was always told that metals do interfere with a wireless camera signal. Sometimes mounting the camera off to the side will work but you have to try that without drilling more holes.
I found wireless things to be a PIA in general and prefer wired products.

Lwiddis

Monterey, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/20 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use heavy duty tape to temporarily mount the camera while you check the signal but I too believe wired is better.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

pushtoy 2

texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/20 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my wireless works great so far[emoticon]

DREAMER ">

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 12:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A tech was talking to me about the ABC's of backup cams and I didn't absorb what he was saying because I honestly didn't care.
But for this post that info might be worth looking into for someone buying or installing a system . Here is a link for the info. It might be the reason some systems work better than others.
CMOS chip vs CCD sensor .

https://camera-source.com/blog/cmos-or-ccd

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/20 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pushtoy 2 wrote:

my wireless works great so far[emoticon]
Mine too.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

Hoerschel

Colorado Springs

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/20 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While troubleshooting this problem further today, I ran a test by connecting my camera directly to the coach 12 volt battery in the rear. The camera was attached to the intended mounting bracket up top and, voila, it came to life. Better yet, I had four bars on the monitor in the cab, 30 feet away. So my problem is not due to interference with the metal sheet panel embedded in the back wall. It appears to be a polarity problem with the 12 volt wiring I tapped off from the upper marker light. A volt meter, in fact, reflected -11.7 volts when I put the negative probe on the sleeve and the positive probe on the center pin of the camera's power cable. Am in process of reversing the wires that feed the camera. Admittedly, I'm a bit confused that the LED marker lights seem to work wired the opposite way. While doing a bit more research it appears that some manufacturers make LEDs that are not polarity sensitive. So, I guess I must have those, too. It's dark now and I will have to wait until tomorrow to run the penultimate test. Stay tuned.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 04:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good find, thank you for the follow-up.

Hoerschel

Colorado Springs

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/20 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aha moment finally arrived. Wisdom received = Polarity is NOT reversed. RV lights are wired correctly. The color coding, however, is different than what I was used to: RVs white / red goes to ground; black / green goes to power. Camera powers right up. Four bars of signal strength received in the cab monitor. Works great. Still enrolled in The School of Hard Knocks where there are no graduates and no degrees because the learning never ends.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 09:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad you got it to work well.

In case I need to install one someday, I have to write it all down otherwise I will forget what the colors mean. [emoticon]

Someone once said to me "I have to use memory foam insoles so I can remember why I walked into the kitchen".

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Installing After-market Rear View Camera Issue
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.