cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Warranty coverage

keh3491
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I are looking at 5th wheels and plan to go full time soon. We are so confused on the coverage options out there. We have only been looking at campers that have a manufacturers warranty for full time use. We saw that good Sam had an extended warranty, what is the point? Can we get a camper not covered for full time use and just add coverage to it?
11 REPLIES 11

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
The first thing about warranties to learn/ remember is that RV warranties are like a home warranty when buying a new home, nothing like an automobile warranty.

The builder has nothing to do with the warranty for appliances in the kitchen, the AC, the furnace, heck, even the sprinkler system in our last home.

The RV dealer will diagnose and repair, or install parts, or new units, but there can be a delay in getting the warranty repair approved. It took 42 days for the replacement of a thermostat to be approved by Suburban and the replacement to be shipped to the dealer for our first trailer. Diagnosis was done in fifteen minutes as I dropped the rig off, and installation and testing was less than an hour.

Over six years full timing, we've replaced a water heater, a fresh water pump, a blower and control board for the furnace, the electric heating element and control board for the Dometic fridge. All covered by an extended warranty which was outside the mfr warranty. But we had to pay parts shipping in each case. All done by mobile techs.

We also had to replace both axles after faulty welds broke for the mounting brackets which was done by Dexter. Extended warranty covered that also. Took 31 days for Dexter to get the replacements shipped to the dealer. Luck we were near my daughter's home when the failure occurred and we did not have to stay in a motel for a month.

We paid less than $1,500 for the ExtraRide Warranty. But we have a low end TT.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
We put 10% of the purchase price into a maintenance/repair fund and add to it each month. Have been doing that for 14 years and the fund is always in the black. When something needs to be serviced or fixed/replaced, we do it. And if we identify something worn that could be a problem, we replace THEN, not wait for it to break so it will be covered. This fund also covers batteries/tires, which need to be replaced every few years.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
The best response I ever heard was by a poster here last year. It was like:
"send me the money and then call me anytime and i'll tell you why your claim isn't covered under the warranty".
Yep, that's the way rv warranties work. (and if you are the poster I am quoting, please claim the credit- I still chuckle about that post)

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Most warranties do NOT cover the appliances (refrigerator, furnace, A/C, etc) because they are covered by the manufacturer.

You also want to know if there is any reimbursement for hotels if it take days to repair.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I think I wouldn't count on a warranty leading to no worry. How good will the factory warranty be? Well, it could take them weeks to do the work or you may not be near someone authorized to do the work. Or they might say the item isn't covered. I never buy an extended warranty for any product. You're better off saving up some repair cash. If a warranty is reasonable then it's not going to cover much and vice-versa. RVs are expensive; new or used.
Jayco-noslide

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
I have always agreed that extended warranties are a rip off. However, 5 yrs. into our 7 yr. warranty we have had 3 very expensive repairs done which include the refrigerator, our awning motor and electric heater. It saved us hundreds of dollars. We used a mobile RV tech.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
start looking at used for sale by owner rv,s then you can buy a warranty for it. you,ll save thousands.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
If you buy new, plan to spend the first 6 months local to the dealership and use everything trying to find issues.

Once you are no longer local, expect dealers to not want to deal with you and if they do, there is normally no time frame for getting the repairs done.

Even at the dealer you bought from, don't expect prompt convenient service. They will take a guy paying full shop rates over discounted warranty work in a heartbeat.

Save the extended warranty money in a maintenance fund...9 times out of 10 you will be far ahead doing so.

PS: Buying new is far from trouble free. Friends buying new have more complaints about repairs than we've had buying used.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
warranties cost thousands and just arn,t worth it.they,re the bigest rip off out there. use the one year warranty that comes with the rv then if something breaks call a mobil tech ,he comes to you quick service ,you wont have to let your rv sit at the dealers lot for months for a simple repair.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Warranties are not as comprehensive with the RV industry as they are in automotive. Many dealers only service units they sold, even though technically they can work on others. Brands have varying levels of coverage, and varying degrees of desire to cover their products.
A few do seem to have more favorable customer opinions than others. Grand Design owners seem most happy and in varying degrees Winnebago, K-Z, Jayco, and then it falls to the others,
Warranty coverage as far as duration can be seen as something of an indicator by some, and in general Jayco, K-Z, some Keystones, Palomino, a few others offer warranty periods longer than one year.
Remember, the warranty from the manufacturer is for what they build, appliances, frames, axles, etc are warranted separately by the companies that provided them.
Your best chance at a unit with few problems is to do a very thorough walk through BEFORE delivery, and have everything addressed prior to taking possession, when you are in the position of power.

Hope this helps.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Line up your extended coverage before you buy IMO. Read carefully the insurance contract. Then read it again..both of you. Note any annual inspection and the cost of the inspection. Miss an inspection and you are SOL.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad