cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SoCal to East Coast Fall Colors

dennydecuir
Explorer
Explorer
As the subject title suggests, we're planning a trip to the East Coast later this year to view the Fall Colors. I'm sure plenty of you folks have done similar cruises, so I thought I'd pick your brains about routes and destinations, best months, must sees, etc. We're pulling a fifth wheel.

Thanks in advance.
8 REPLIES 8

_tiredTeacher
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to a warming climate, sources that rely on historical data are becoming less accurate. I found that making phone calls to park rangers and campground owners get you the best info for timing your visit to any particular location.

Teach
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."

fidhleir
Explorer
Explorer
I'm considering this same trip. For those who've made the run from California, I'm interested in routes across the country. The only fixed point for us is Denver as we have grandkids there. I don't like to be on the road more than two consecutive days without stopping somewhere for at least 4-5 days so I'm thinking we'll leave SoCal early August. Any recommendations across the country for places to see would be appreciated. Given the seasons, I'd expect northern route eastbound and Southern coming back with maybe boundary waters, Nashville, Ozarks. I'm sure there's alot to see and an earlier departure is certainly an option.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
In Vermont, peak leaf peeping is definitely Columbus Day weekend. That does not necessarily correspond with peak color, but it is when the influx of tourists peaks and when accommodations are the hardest to find. Probably a hair earlier is most commonly when the colors are peaking, with some variation depending where you are in the state.

Many campgrounds close for the season shortly--sometimes very shortly--after Columbus day weekend.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
In the NY Adirondacks peak color is Columbus Day weekend or the week before.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
Your challenge will be one of timing. Depending on weather the peak times for fall colors can vary greatly.

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Actually you wouldn't need to go as far as the east coast. Mn. Wi Mi and northwestern Ontario all boast great fall colors

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Before we made that tour we found several web sites that provided information on where to see the best colors. We subscribed to newsletters that kept us updated on the best time to see the best colors. We made reservations accordingly and changed as needed. It was a great trip.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Best months are September and October. The earlier in the year the farther north you will have to go. On average the colors start about mid-September in the north country and gradually work their way down for the next 6-8 weeks. There are so many variables it's impossible to know timing more than a few weeks out. I will say you should make reservations as soon as you know your schedule. Leaf peepers take up a lot of space. Kids are back in school by Labor Day but weekends get crazy.

It's also fair season up here that time of year. There are too many to list so I'd get on the tourism websites of the states you want to visit. That also adds to the craziness as fairs like the one at Eastern States Expo in Springfield, MA, can take more than one day to fully appreciate. The list of "must sees" can also be endless so if you give more specifics about what you like to do, whether or not there will be kids with you, etc., that would help. Not only is the foliage beautiful in New England but the Great Smoky Mountains and other more southern areas can be spectacular.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]