cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodyear Endurance tires?

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer
My double axle travel trailer has a GVWR of 9597 pounds. The tires are ST225/75/15, load range D. They are Constancy LY188 with a max load of 2540 pounds each and speed rating of 75mph. The max pressure is 65psi cold.

I'd like to replace them with the same size Goodyear Endurance trailer tires. They have a max load of 2830 pounds each and max pressure of 80psi.

Would these be a good replacement? Are there any other factors I need to consider? Thanks.
28 REPLIES 28

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
deltabravo wrote:
opnspaces wrote:
ScottG wrote:
They suffer badly from rock mining. I've never seen a tire that is this bad but at least my tires rarely, if ever see rain or moisture that could cause internal corrosion and failure.
I discovered this when I removed them for balancing.

What do you mean by rock mining? Are you referring to rocks on the trail gouging out chunks of tread?

I'm wondering the same thing. I've never heard of "rock mining" in regards to a tire, or "internal corrosion and failure" from being used in rain / moisture.

While I can't help what you have or have not heard of, I'm sure there are lots of various industry specific technical details that most of us have never heard of. In this case, I have a friend in that industry that has seen it happen and warned me about it.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
plasticmaster wrote:
The back side of the rims say 2830 pounds. Does this correspond with being able to handle the 80psi of the Goodyear Endurance tire?
YES! Good to go.

Except they most likely will be bent and may not hold air at all when he's done mounting them himself, which is the subject of another thread lol :B

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
BC4277 wrote:
I've had the GY Endurance tires on my TT for the past two years. They've worked great and haven't lost a pound of air pressure over that time.

I'm going catch a lot of flack for this next comment, but unless you increase the weight of your TT, I wouldn't run the tires at 80 psi. All you will do is wear out the center of the tire sooner. In my experience, my TT feels more stable when the weight is spread out equally across the entire tread width rather the center 1/3rd. Now, some will say OMG you'll have heat build up by running less than maximum air pressure. I bought a heat gun from Harbor Freight and check the TT and TV tire temperatures every time I stop, and have never a problem. Your TT was designed to run with tires inflated at 65psi and that is what I would run.
Modern steel radials actually hold the tread flat on the road for a wide range of pressures. Besides that most trailer tires age out long before you have wear issues. OK to run at 65 however I would be at 70/75 maybe 80 with no worry.

agree. bias ply tires were very load sensitive vs. tire pressure for even tire wear. Radial ply are very load INsensitive vs. tire pressure for even tire wear. The extra 20lbs is not likely to cause any wear issues.

As for the endurance, I replaced my Maxxis with Goodyear endurance when the Maxxis wore out. Endurance from the spec's is IMHO a better tire and was actually less expensive than Maxxis. So far so good with the Endurance, but then I've gone through 5 sets of tires on my two trailers and never had a failure. Tires wore out not aged out.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
plasticmaster wrote:
The back side of the rims say 2830 pounds. Does this correspond with being able to handle the 80psi of the Goodyear Endurance tire?
YES! Good to go.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
Lets be safe and follow the wheel mfg limits.

Hard to do if there's no PSI spec stamped / marked on the wheel.

Read my reply above on load numbers = psi numbers for a guide....or contact the wheel mfg.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
JIMNLIN wrote:
Lets be safe and follow the wheel mfg limits.

Hard to do if there's no PSI spec stamped / marked on the wheel.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that road hazards do not care what your tires cost. I have found it prudent to buy road hazard insurance. However, some dealers will not insure ST tires.

ST tires are used on all types of trailers including construction site, utility, farm, horse and a host of others. So, the manufacturer does not know the end use or abuse.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I would not worry about the rims, the extra 15 psi will not cause an issue even if you can't find a PSI rating on the rim.

I see advise like this on rv websites quite a bit.
Having hauled for a living and being in the road 24/7 I've seen lots of split wheels and cracked valleys in the hauling industry caused by over pressure while carrying a load usually from mis reading or failure to look for the numbers.
Tires and wheels both have a load limit and pressure limit for safety reasons. Lets be safe and follow the wheel mfg limits.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Wishin
Explorer
Explorer
I've had my Goodyear Endurance tires for a couple of seasons now. They have been good so far. My trailer is just under 8,000 lbs and I have have the same size tires, 225/75R15 LRE on it now. When I bought it new, it only had on 205/75R15 LRC tires. I upgraded to 205/75R15 LRD fairly quickly when the original tires failed (2 in the first year). I then upgraded the 3500 lb axles to 5200 lb axles with new 6 bolt rims and the bigger tires. I only run them at 65 psi and I have plenty of reserve. If I were you, I'd run them at 80 psi, I aim for 30% reserve and have not had issues with that. I would not worry about the rims, the extra 15 psi will not cause an issue even if you can't find a PSI rating on the rim. If they are rated for 2830, I'd say they must be able to handle 80 psi or they couldn't handle the load. I don't think you can get a larger trailer tire on a 15" rim.
2014 Wildwood 26TBSS - Upgraded with 5200lb axles and larger Goodyear ST tires
2003 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 Suburban 8.1L 4.10's

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yes, and a metal valve stem is a good idea too, to match the higher rated tires.

Jerry

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Totally agre ewith TDZ.
Been doing this for 30+ years and my experience has been that this is the best practice. I've never had any treadwear problems or maybe I just haven't given them a chance to. I end up replacing them long before it's an issue but that was mostly because I ran Carlisles and they failed constantly.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
I highly recommend the Goodyear Endurance tires and I don't use any other ST tires on my rig.

I also recommend that you air them to 80 psi. Your trailer was designed to have the tires at 65 psi because it came with D rated tires and they max out at 65 psi. While there is nothing wrong with D rated tires if they'll carry the load, keeping heat to an absolute minimum in trailer tires is what I'd recommend. I believe you're going to get the same recommendation from Goodyear, but you may find conflict even within the same company's publications about this and they currently do publish a load/inflation chart for these tires, where I don't think they did in the past. It is my view that trailer tires should be inflated to their max psi regardless of loading. I do not do this or recommend that for regular car or truck tires, but I do it for trailer tires because I don't want them to have any chance of getting hot, and that concern far outweighs any wear or traction issues that would normally concern me enough to run lower pressures.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
BC4277 wrote:
I've had the GY Endurance tires on my TT for the past two years. They've worked great and haven't lost a pound of air pressure over that time.

I'm going catch a lot of flack for this next comment, but unless you increase the weight of your TT, I wouldn't run the tires at 80 psi. All you will do is wear out the center of the tire sooner. In my experience, my TT feels more stable when the weight is spread out equally across the entire tread width rather the center 1/3rd. Now, some will say OMG you'll have heat build up by running less than maximum air pressure. I bought a heat gun from Harbor Freight and check the TT and TV tire temperatures every time I stop, and have never a problem. Your TT was designed to run with tires inflated at 65psi and that is what I would run.
Modern steel radials actually hold the tread flat on the road for a wide range of pressures. Besides that most trailer tires age out long before you have wear issues. OK to run at 65 however I would be at 70/75 maybe 80 with no worry.