Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Goodyear Endurance tires?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Goodyear Endurance tires?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 05:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No....go to the wheel for that information. It can be a sticker or stamped on the outside or backside or some time in the wheels valley...which means the tire will have to come off the rim.

Rock mining...??
Those of us that travel gravel roads use that term. Some tread designs are bad about picking up gravel in the tread groves and depending on gravel type and size can work into the tire carcass. This creates a slow leak and will need fixing just like a leak from any small sharp object.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

CapriRacer

Somewhere in the US

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

plasticmaster wrote:

The sticker on the side of the camper says GAWR of front and rear are 4400 pounds each. It says the rims are 15x6.0JJ. Does any of this indicate whether or not my rims can handle 80psi?

No! It does NOT indicate that. Rims are not required to be marked with max load or max inflation. Some are, and some aren't.

- BUT -

It is my understanding that it isn't pressure that causes wheels to fail- it is load. So the wheel manufacturers figure out what the max possible loads would be for a given wheel (based on rim width!) and test to that.

That should also mean that the wheel can handle the max pressure provided the tire is properly sized for the wheel.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

BC4277

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/20 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had the GY Endurance tires on my TT for the past two years. They've worked great and haven't lost a pound of air pressure over that time.

I'm going catch a lot of flack for this next comment, but unless you increase the weight of your TT, I wouldn't run the tires at 80 psi. All you will do is wear out the center of the tire sooner. In my experience, my TT feels more stable when the weight is spread out equally across the entire tread width rather the center 1/3rd. Now, some will say OMG you'll have heat build up by running less than maximum air pressure. I bought a heat gun from Harbor Freight and check the TT and TV tire temperatures every time I stop, and have never a problem. Your TT was designed to run with tires inflated at 65psi and that is what I would run.

2017 Freedom Express 192RBS
Fastway E2 Trunion Hitch
2003 Tundra 4.7

Where ever I am,
is where I'm supposed to be

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/20 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Goodyear has a load inflation chart for the Endurance tires which can be observed on the internet. You won't need to pump them up to 80 psi. I like my Endurance tires after one season. The only thing that set me back was their 1/4" tread depth when new. No big deal as most ST tires age out rather than wear out. I think they would be a nice upgrade.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

ScottG wrote:

I have GY Endurance tires and they are great with one exception. They suffer badly from rock mining. I've never seen a tire that is this bad but at least my tires rarely, if ever see rain or moisture that could cause internal corrosion and failure.
I discovered this when I removed them for balancing.

What do you mean by rock mining? Are you referring to rocks on the trail gouging out chunks of tread?

No, rock mining is when you remove a small rock from the tire tread and can see metal underneath. When this happens water will get in and can corrode it to the point it fails. Probably wont happen but most tires are tougher in this regard.
For what otherwise seems to be a really good tire, this one aspect is a little dissapointing.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/20 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BC4277 wrote:

I've had the GY Endurance tires on my TT for the past two years. They've worked great and haven't lost a pound of air pressure over that time.

I'm going catch a lot of flack for this next comment, but unless you increase the weight of your TT, I wouldn't run the tires at 80 psi. All you will do is wear out the center of the tire sooner. In my experience, my TT feels more stable when the weight is spread out equally across the entire tread width rather the center 1/3rd. Now, some will say OMG you'll have heat build up by running less than maximum air pressure. I bought a heat gun from Harbor Freight and check the TT and TV tire temperatures every time I stop, and have never a problem. Your TT was designed to run with tires inflated at 65psi and that is what I would run.
Modern steel radials actually hold the tread flat on the road for a wide range of pressures. Besides that most trailer tires age out long before you have wear issues. OK to run at 65 however I would be at 70/75 maybe 80 with no worry.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I highly recommend the Goodyear Endurance tires and I don't use any other ST tires on my rig.

I also recommend that you air them to 80 psi. Your trailer was designed to have the tires at 65 psi because it came with D rated tires and they max out at 65 psi. While there is nothing wrong with D rated tires if they'll carry the load, keeping heat to an absolute minimum in trailer tires is what I'd recommend. I believe you're going to get the same recommendation from Goodyear, but you may find conflict even within the same company's publications about this and they currently do publish a load/inflation chart for these tires, where I don't think they did in the past. It is my view that trailer tires should be inflated to their max psi regardless of loading. I do not do this or recommend that for regular car or truck tires, but I do it for trailer tires because I don't want them to have any chance of getting hot, and that concern far outweighs any wear or traction issues that would normally concern me enough to run lower pressures.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Totally agre ewith TDZ.
Been doing this for 30+ years and my experience has been that this is the best practice. I've never had any treadwear problems or maybe I just haven't given them a chance to. I end up replacing them long before it's an issue but that was mostly because I ran Carlisles and they failed constantly.

plasticmaster

Home

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The back side of the rims say 2830 pounds. Does this correspond with being able to handle the 80psi of the Goodyear Endurance tire?

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/20 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, and a metal valve stem is a good idea too, to match the higher rated tires.

Jerry

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Goodyear Endurance tires?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.