Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Why are my batteries water overflowing during charging?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Why are my batteries water overflowing during charging?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/20 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two things not mentioned is when you over fill, the acid coming out causes corrosion on your terminals and tied down supports. It can eat threw the steel supports and corroded terminals reduce or stop amp flow. My 2 6v GC batteries are not on a slide, difficult to see the water level and I tended to over fill mine. The other issue is all that acid and stuff can accumulate over time, become slightly conductive and add to the self discharge of the batteries. When my old Shumacher charger died I bought the B&D 40 amp charger and really like how it charges and maintains the batteries (Equalizing and desulfating function). I ruined my first set of Trojans after 4 years by not understanding some basic things. my 2 6V CG Sams Club batteries now in their 13 year and still working fine with better maintenance.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

my 2 6V CG Sams Club batteries now in their 13 year and still working fine with better maintenance.
Dry camp much?

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/20 06:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Gjac wrote:

my 2 6V CG Sams Club batteries now in their 13 year and still working fine with better maintenance.
Dry camp much?
I dry camp 95% of the time. When travailing cross country Every 7 days I will stop at a FHU CG to recharge batteries fully and do laundry and fill water tanks. Locally in the NE I will dry camp for a week and recharge when I get home. In 7 days of dry camping batteries are at 50% SOC and I am out of water.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/20 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

I dry camp 95% of the time.
Congratulations. 13 years on a set dry camping is darn good...almost unheard of.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/20 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Gjac wrote:

I dry camp 95% of the time.
Congratulations. 13 years on a set dry camping is darn good...almost unheard of.
I think it all comes down to maintenance. I don't keep them plugged, just fully charge after camping and then unplug and let them sit until they reach 80% SOC, then recharge. I use a constant charger to do that.

landyacht318

Near a large body of salty water

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Constant what?

Constant current or constant voltage?

For How long do you employ this 'constant' charger when you employ it?

Number of total cycles accumulated in those 12 years, in your estimation?

Average State of discharge, when you do cycle them?

I got an estimated 1200+ deep cycles over a 6 year timespan with my most recent AGM, and easily a 100 of those were to 30% or below state of charge, but the average depth of discharge was in likely the 60 to 65% state of charge range. Prompt high amp recharges to full from their most depleted state, are what i credit to that impressive, in my opinion, lifespan.

If you've found a great formula/charging products for exceptional lifespan of Budget GC-2's, then please share how you did so.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's possible to have batteries last that long, but what's questionable is their capacity.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/20 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

landyacht318 wrote:

Constant what?

Constant current or constant voltage?

For How long do you employ this 'constant' charger when you employ it?

Number of total cycles accumulated in those 12 years, in your estimation?

Average State of discharge, when you do cycle them?

I got an estimated 1200+ deep cycles over a 6 year timespan with my most recent AGM, and easily a 100 of those were to 30% or below state of charge, but the average depth of discharge was in likely the 60 to 65% state of charge range. Prompt high amp recharges to full from their most depleted state, are what i credit to that impressive, in my opinion, lifespan.

If you've found a great formula/charging products for exceptional lifespan of Budget GC-2's, then please share how you did so.
Constant voltage overnight to 2 days, hard to guess on cycles, ave maybe 60-90 days a year only once below 50% SOC. I rarely camp more than 7 days in one spot(one or twice per year) which will bring the SOC down to 50%. Most trips are 1-3 days in one spot ave SOC before charge may be 70-80%. I have a 180 amp alternator that provides some charge while traveling between CG's. No solar. I maintain the 2 Sam's Club "Budget" batteries with a B&D 40 amp charger when it says ful I float the batteries with my 950 Magnatec converter/charger. I don't know why people call these battery boilers it never charged more that 13.6 v and now charges at 13.2 v. The "smart" charger to me does not fully charge the batteries the float after the charger says ful gives me two more days of dry camping, which to me is a more complete charge. I also equalize several times a year and run a desulfate cycle also. Finally I do not keep the MH plugged in when not in use just recharge when SOC reaches 80 %. Over the winter when I don't go south I fully charge and equalize and leave batteries alone until spring. I know most batteries die from sufation but leaving the MH plugged in all the time also sheds lead from the plates. There is probably a happy medium but I don't know how to check for it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Why are my batteries water overflowing during charging?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.