Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Why are my batteries water overflowing during charging?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Why are my batteries water overflowing during charging?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 05:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The answer is in your post. also a comment. First the comment
IT IS NOT WATER (H2O). it is sulfuric acid. More on that later (H2S04)

Now you told us what the problem is "ended up adding some distilled water to each, bring it to just under a 1/4" from the top."

The correct fill level is 1/4" from the BOTTOM of the filler tube or split ring.

You over filled by about 1" give or take a bit depending on the battery

Look into the battery see the tube that you pour the water into 1/8 to 1/4" BELOW the bottom of the tube is the proper. many say to the bottom but give it an additional quarter inch to be safe.

Now
Little Willie Was a Scientist
little Willie is no more
For what he thought was H20
Was H2S04

(I can't believe I remember that from more years ago than I care to admit).

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

mrad

Prineton, MN

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the responses. I did remove the excess liquid/acid to below the ring. Two of the three batteries had less than a six hour charge when I noticed the leaking. On had gone into sulfate mode.

All three were showing full charges this morning.

When an earliwer poster mentioned to bring them to a "Good Battery Shop", and not an auto shop, would "Batteries Plus" be considered good?

I will probably have to start another thread on help with a decent charger. Not sure I'm a big fan of the one I purchased, I am hoping when I get up to my fish house this weekend I find my old Vector 15-6-2 sitting it. I h not been able to find that all summer. That one showed me teh amps gong in and would show the amp level dropping as the battery took more of a charge. This new one justs shows percentage of the charge the battery has and/or says 15amp charging of maintenance/float charge.

I will be using the three batteries to power LED lights, satalite TV, and ceiling fan in the evenings and early morning when I don't want the generator running hoping not to spook fish.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are plenty of posts on measuring voltage after the batteries sit for hours or overnight to determine charge. Better is to buy a glass hydrometer and check each cell for charge and variation. Excessive variation indicates the need for better charging or cell deterioration.

You make good usage of your batteries. Recommend you buy a digital voltmeter so that you can accurately check the battery voltage at their terminals. $10, sometimes free at Harbor Freight. A ammeter would also be a good investment as you could then measure the amp draw/charge. There have been posts on inexpensive battery monitors that you could consider.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/20 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Schumacher is fine. Give it a chance.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've posted several times that I use and recommend the BatteryMinder sold at Northern Tools. I have several and keep on on my riding mower full time. After the battery reaches full charge, it goes into maintenance mode and begins pulsing the battery to break up any sulfate on the plates that kills batteries. I get over 5 years on the cheap 1 year batteries sold for riding lawnmowers stored in my unheated outside shed. I got 10 years out of my MH's chassis battery before it died. The latest model has temperature compensation circuitry built-in. Here's link to Northern Tools page where they are often on sale for under $30 (on sale for $21 right now): https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200332201_200332201
[image]

- Full-time battery monitoring automatically tests battery continually, supplying only the current needed to maintain battery at full charge.
- 8-stage unit charges and maintains from 1 to 4 batteries at a time (12V batteries parallel-connected or two 6V batteries series-connected. NOTE: Never connect 2 or more batteries together in parallel before fully charging each and checking their condition. Failure to fully charge each battery and check their condition can result in a serious safety hazard)
- Does not overcharge, regardless of time connected
- High-frequency pulses safely remove sulfate from battery's plates that prevent the batteries from holding a full charge
- No need to add water to maintenance-type batteries during long, non-use storage
Don Ford wrote:

I am not connected with Northern Tools or BatteryMinder in any way - just know a good thing when I see it.

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 11:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DFord wrote:

- No need to add water to maintenance-type batteries during long, non-use storage
Don Ford wrote:

I am not connected with Northern Tools or BatteryMinder in any way - just know a good thing when I see it.

Im surprised they can get away with claiming you wont need to add water.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 04:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do not know how good a battery shop Batteries Plus is. DEKA or Interstate or Trojan. are good but frankly I'm not sure how good the stores are.

Just using a turkey baster type device or a hydrometer (Best option) to transfer some liquid out and label it in a GLASS jar with non-reactive lid add it back when it's needed would be my best suggestion. Or dispose of it safely as the loss won't be that great.

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mrad wrote:

Yesterday I brought in my two deep cycle batteries from my boat and the one from my camper for winter storage. I check all of the water levels and had ended up adding some distilled water to each, bring it to just under a 1/4" from the top.

So far all three batteries have overflowed during charging. What else could be the cause of this?

I have never experienced this problem before.

Any Ideas?

When wet cell batteries charge, it is normal for the electrolyte and the other internal components (plates, separators, connectors, etc.) to heat up which causes them to expand. The electrolyte also will off gas. (hydrogen and oxygen) If you overfill the electrolyte, the additional gas has no place to go since you have blocked the vents. As the state of charge of the batteries increases, solid precipitate from the plates dissolves back into the electrolyte causing its volume to increase slightly also with no place to go but out the fill holes. Some charge cycles cause water to evaporate out the fill holes which can (not always) off set this. Someone else pointed out that the time to fully top off the water is AFTER you are done charging, as long as the plates are covered (about 1/8 to 1/4 inch) with electrolyte prior to charging. DO NOT CHARGE A WET CELL BATTERY IF ANY PORTION OF THE PLATES ARE DRY!

Chum lee

trail-explorer

NM

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

you over filled them. To the bottom of the ring with full charge

DITTO

Bob

landyacht318

Near a large body of salty water

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a schumacher sc2500A.

It often, without any discernable reason, will take the battery to and above 16.4 volts on the 12 or 25 amp setting, and hold it there for more than an hour with the battery burgling burping and smelling like burning rotten eggs.

This is extremely abusive to lead acid batteries, and if they are overfilled when undercharged then the charger takes them to 16.4v, they will bubble up a flood.

Most chargers will cause spillover when the battery is overfilled, but a charger taking them well above 14.7v will make the issue much much worse.

Check the voltage when charging, if you are finding it to climb well over 15 volts via a multimeter on battery terminals, as I suspect you will, then consider returning the charger, if you still can.

Also the % state of charge display on these garage chargers is so laughable as to be completely ignorable, and the voltage on mine was also considerably different than actual battery voltage.

Hers a schumacher video overcharging at 15.9v. These have no equalization feature. Not sure how Schumacher has been able to get away with products which can so seriously overcharge, when all other makers of consumer grade garage chargers err on the side of well undercharging and doing smoke and mirror marketing saying how great they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BF8FB__........8&list=UUoPqTkOluQsuu3RpGnxVwFw&index=41

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Why are my batteries water overflowing during charging?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.