cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Badlands

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
We want three nights as close to the Badlands as possible - already have a week in Custer. We want to be able to get up early and go for morning hikes. However the national Park campground is not available for our dates. What else is nearby?

We are pulling a 27' travel trailer so Save Creek is not an option.
17 REPLIES 17

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
rvshrinker wrote:
WE-C-USA wrote:
rvshrinker wrote:
Unfortunately the electric sites are sold out for our dates (there is an option of changing sites each night but that is not going to happen).

Imo, that's a better option than some of the other. Stay in the park & commute least.

Which is a better option?

Change sites inside the park. You stated that you wanted to hike early. Then you can return mid-day move then hike that afternoon. Check out is 11:00 am.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
When we have to move every day in order to stay in a given campground, we always ask the park operator where we can park for the day so that we can vacate our site for the next person. We have never had a problem. When we get back later in the day, we hook up at the storage spot and relocate. We have a 17' with no slides so it takes us just minutes. If you have a large TT or 5r, this may not work for you.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
There is boondocking campground just west of the park. If you don't mind quiet and solitude, not to mention free.

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
We'll be out exploring all day, changing sites means I have to drag my trailer with me in the morning if our new site isn't available.

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
why not change sites if all you have to do is unhook elec.

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

๐Ÿ˜›

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
WE-C-USA wrote:
rvshrinker wrote:
Unfortunately the electric sites are sold out for our dates (there is an option of changing sites each night but that is not going to happen).

Imo, that's a better option than some of the other. Stay in the park & commute least.

Which is a better option?

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
rvshrinker wrote:

Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
The campground in the park has electric sites and they have pay to use showers. They also take reservations. We stay there every time we go to the Badlands.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thinking about Sleepy Hollow, but would really prefer a more rural setting right in the NP.

What is the consensus about staying in the non electric sites for 3 nights, without a generator? We wouldn't be there but in the evening and night. How hot or cool is it likely to be at night? Is it humid? Basically will we we be able to sleep? We wouldn't even have a fan to run without electric but I suppose I could try to find a 12v.

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Yeah if that is the KOA in Scenic SD it is an excellent camp spot plus it is right outside the park entrance.

We stayed there last year, good enough to be close to the entrance. No cell signals, and there were a billion gnats when we were there (middle of September).
Proud father of a US Marine

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
So helpful!

dedmiston
Dick_B wrote:
When all is lost one might do a Google search for `Badlands campground' and see what comes up.

Thank you, Doctor Google. :R

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
When all is lost one might do a Google search for `Badlands campground' and see what comes up.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)