cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Substancial deposit required

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious if others have ran into this. When you go to make a Rez at a CG, have you ever been asked to pay either full or half at time of Rez and then bal upon arrival or just 1 nite? To the best of my knowledge, every place we've ever gone to is just 1 nite deposit and bal due upon arrival. For those CG that are requiring half/full payment, they are using your $$$ to collect interest IMO once they get it. Other's thoughts.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"
29 REPLIES 29

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
4runnerguy wrote:
We stay in NP's NF's, and a few SP's. They all require payment in full and will refund if you cancel (with a fee, usually around $8). So for our trip next summer, I've basically already paid for all our camping (except for those outside the six month window).

So my bill for the camping will come soon and the bill for all the other expenses (gas, food, etc) will come in July, August, etc. Kind of spreads the pain out a little.

As much as I don't like the idea of paying for a full "X" amount of time at a CG, I do like your rational.
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used to be in a somewhat similar business as a CG & no-shows were a huge problem until I started taking deposits, or at least credit card holds. People thought nothing of not showing up. No call. Nothing.

My business was a sightseeing/snorkeling by private charter. I did not make up groups. The charterer & his party had the boat to themselves. Custom trip. This was like booking the entire campground for a rally. You don't bail out without a sizable penalty.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
We stay in NP's NF's, and a few SP's. They all require payment in full and will refund if you cancel (with a fee, usually around $8). So for our trip next summer, I've basically already paid for all our camping (except for those outside the six month window).

So my bill for the camping will come soon and the bill for all the other expenses (gas, food, etc) will come in July, August, etc. Kind of spreads the pain out a little.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
Have run into multiple types of deposit situations. If I don't like it I just go elsewhere.

Same here, the policies are all over the map for private campgrounds. The latest private campground we booked said they collect payment when we check in. Some private's collect one night. Some charge all.

I can tell you ALL the California State Parks collect FULL payment when you reserve the site online through reservecalifornia.com, even if you're going 6 months from now.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
MI state parks require reservations to be paid in full at the time they are made. Cancellations receive a partial refund.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
Have run into multiple types of deposit situations. If I don't like it I just go elsewhere.

THIS!

There has been a couple of times when I have said "No thanks" and when asked for a reason I just explain I do not agree with their policies. They do not owe me an explanation.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
To everyone.....THANK YOU for all your replies!!!! All seem varied and all have valid points to which I never thought of.
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"Catin' in the Winter"

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
The CG owners need to protect their investment. If you make a no deposit reservation and don't show up, they loose money.
At the state parks in Wisconsin, if you make a reservation for multiple days for multiple days, you pay for the entire stay up front. If you cancel a long way out, you get charged a cancellation fee plus loose your reservation fee. It costs you about $20 in this case. If you cancel on short notice, you loose your reservation fee plus the first night. That amounts to about $30 to $50.
If you want a place to stay at the parks, you pay it.
We never cancel so we don't worry about it.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
With DW's parents both at 89 and all grades of medical catastrophes last year we can't reserve much until the last minute.
With the booming numbers of new rvers that doesn't leave much. We'll manage a short trip here or there and that's ok for now but no nonrefundable reservations.
I don't blame the CG owners, they have a business to run. No different than a restaurant that refuses reservations or spends the evening watching over a half empty place.
Puma 30RKSS

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have found, like others, that it varies. Texas state park I go to requires full payment at time of booking. Georgia state parks, I believe is one night (as pointed out). I always make sure I know the details before I commit, to include cancellation fee.

I don't think any campgrounds make a nickel off pre-payment, but even if they do, why should I care?

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
ACZL wrote:
For those CG that are requiring half/full payment, they are using your $$$ to collect interest IMO once they get it. Other's thoughts.
You are concerned about them making a few pennies of interest?

The business will just use the money immediately. Not going to open a CD and earn 1% until you arrive so they can use the money then.

My tenants pay a full month up front and believe me I make no interest. Same with the security deposit. Money collected is just used for current expenses in one big pool of money.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Deposit requirements at private RV parks are higher in the East (typically 1/2 or full down) than in the West (typically a 1 night or no deposit).

I haven't camped out west but your observation is probably accurate. Camping season can be very short so the campgrounds cannot afford lost revenue due to no shows. I think there's a different mindset up here as well-we aren't as laid back or as trustful as other areas.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Varies with location and dates. Some require full payment for holiday weekends.

Flying Flags in Buellton, CA required me to pay full several months in advance over a holiday weekend. When we arrived I was told we must pay another $100 because their rate changed since I booked. Tried to argue but was told take it or leave it. I have been back a few times since without such issue.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

RognBon
Explorer
Explorer
Our favorite park in Fort Bragg California requires one night deposit if reserving for seven days or less and two nights for reservations of more than seven days.
RognBon
1997 Monaco Dynasty 40'
Cummins 8.3 325 HP
2008 Ford Edge Toad