Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Substancial deposit required
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Substancial deposit required

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've encountered it from time to time.

I'd actually often prefer to pay the full fee with the reservation, rather than have to bother with two separate transactions. Regardless, it doesn't really bother me one way or the other.

Quite a few other businesses work in this basic way, too. If you book a round-trip flight, you have to pay for the whole thing up front, not just for the first leg.

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/20 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had one instance that we were unabe to make it to the campground to keep our reservation. They had a no refund policy that I was fully aware of so they issued a credit for future use. I was happy with that and used it on our return trip only a few weeks later.

When on the road and need an overnight we call ahead for availability. Some ask for a deposit which I decline and say I will take my chances that we arrive before you are full. Never been shut out...but then we like to be off the road by 5pm. Around 7pm I see a rush of people coming into the park where ever we stay.

Early in our beginning camping days I made reservations with deposit that I lost because of one reason or another not being able to make it to the CG. I learned. I will not make reservations unless it is a destination we are staying at for a week or more. Then I know the rules and their policy and if something goes wrong I talk with the owner nicely and usually come to a happy agreement on future use or if I miss the first night I eat the loss. That's the way it goes.

CarnationSailor

Carnation,WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/20 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just an observation that may our may not be accurate.

Deposit requirements at private RV parks are higher in the East (typically 1/2 or full down) than in the West (typically a 1 night or no deposit).

2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/20 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very common for most national state and COE parks to require entire payment up front. big reduction on the "reserve the weekend, then don't go" folks. Especially for non-refundables. I personally thing that weekend reservations should be non-refundable, threedays or more, and pay up front. For travelers, several days including a weekend is almost impossible. Have had to Walmart because of that many times, while CGs sit unused during the rest of the week.

Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and a grouchy, old, tiny dog

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/20 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Johno02 wrote:

I personally thing that weekend reservations should be non-refundable, threedays or more, and pay up front.

I have no problem with the non-refundable part, but the three days might be a stretch. Many a family comes out for the weekend on Friday and returns Sunday in order to be at work Monday. A three day minimum would be a significant hit to a large group of people. Around here, many private locations have three day minimums for holiday weekends (when people stay until Monday anyway), but allow for the regular two-night stay over the weekend. That policy makes sense to me.

Johno02 wrote:

For travelers, several days including a weekend is almost impossible. Have had to Walmart because of that many times, while CGs sit unused during the rest of the week.

This is precisely why I book our entire season by January of each year. I simply don't want to worry about whether or not a site will be reserved for me. In most cases, all I've risked is a $10-$15 cancellation fee if my plans change, which they rarely do. DW and I plan out our season in the fall and winter, then by January I've got everything lined up - including overnight stays on the road. Would be a bit harder for someone full-timing, but it's an increasing need in the growing demand that's out there right now.

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/20 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, a couple of the places that we really like require at least a 50%, if not a full payment at time of reservation. We have a lake we go to with a group that requires full payment. The place we go in Florida in the winter requires 50%. Places that have high demand can make those requirements, because they know that people will pay it. Both these campgrounds are worth the risk in my mind and I know that we are going unless there is a horrible weather event or personal tragedy. In those cases I'm sure I could get most of my deposit back.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

RognBon

Roseville, Calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/20 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our favorite park in Fort Bragg California requires one night deposit if reserving for seven days or less and two nights for reservations of more than seven days.

RognBon
1997 Monaco Dynasty 40'
Cummins 8.3 325 HP
2008 Ford Edge Toad

mileshuff

Phoenix, AZ.

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Varies with location and dates. Some require full payment for holiday weekends.

Flying Flags in Buellton, CA required me to pay full several months in advance over a holiday weekend. When we arrived I was told we must pay another $100 because their rate changed since I booked. Tried to argue but was told take it or leave it. I have been back a few times since without such issue.

2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/20 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deposit requirements at private RV parks are higher in the East (typically 1/2 or full down) than in the West (typically a 1 night or no deposit).

I haven't camped out west but your observation is probably accurate. Camping season can be very short so the campgrounds cannot afford lost revenue due to no shows. I think there's a different mindset up here as well-we aren't as laid back or as trustful as other areas.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/20 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ACZL wrote:

For those CG that are requiring half/full payment, they are using your $$$ to collect interest IMO once they get it. Other's thoughts.
You are concerned about them making a few pennies of interest?

The business will just use the money immediately. Not going to open a CD and earn 1% until you arrive so they can use the money then.

My tenants pay a full month up front and believe me I make no interest. Same with the security deposit. Money collected is just used for current expenses in one big pool of money.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Substancial deposit required
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.