Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Summer fuel at minus 42
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Summer fuel at minus 42

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have jelled at minus 40. It sucks and depending on where your at when it happens it can be life threatening. There are towns here this week that are completely cut off with roads closed for the second day. When bad things happen, sometimes, there is no help. Usually when they gel the filters wax up and you have to replace them. When getting fuel in bulk like that, the most common way here is to order an appropriate amount of Number 1 diesel. If your getting 1000 gallons, order 300 gallons of number 1. Most fuel wholesalers can give you the formula to get to the temp you want to be covered to. Some guys will treat to minus 20 so it will pump and then treat with Power Service by the tank when it is colder than that. This prevents having to burn high treat fuel in warmer weather which gives less power and number 1 is more expensive, at least here.

2006 GMC 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

K-9 HANDLER

Maryland's Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Joys of jelled, yes. But warmer then -40 in the old Ford LT9000.

Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Often when a driver says "fuel gelled" what is really happening is water in the fuel freezing.
My 1693, and my 12V71, I would, about Thanksgiving, leave them set overnight, then drain a few gallons out of each tank. My 3406E, when the temp was below zero, (and I had to work) I would shut the valves off on one tank. With half the volume, the return has a better chance to keep fuel warm.

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All of this talk reminds me of a few of my favorite shows, Highway Thru Hell, and Heavy Rescue.
You have to be pretty tuff to endure the winters up there.

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/20 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Knock on wood my '16 Freightliner Cascadia hasn't gelled, but that's on the company if it does. Carry either 9-1-1 or Melt Down if it does. However, Howes has come out w/ a product that's supposed to be better than 911 or Melt down in the even you gell up. IMO, looks darn good to me. Sadly, at time of this writing, I forgot the name of it.

As for pick ups, gelled up 2x w/ 2 different trucks. My '03 6.0 which we all know the filters were a PITA to change, but was surprised it did so anyways. 5 years ago, my '15 gelled up and being new to Ford's DEF system and all, I didn't know what was going on. Dealer couldn't get me in, but suggested their sister dealer (Lincoln) to have them look at it. Did so and they were the ones who told me it gelled up and wanted close to 400 bucks for diagnosing and new filters and all. Told them no way in H*** am I paying that. Was able to drive home and got my own filters for MUCH less. Anyways, root cause was about 5 gallons I bought day or 2 before from some gas station which I didn't add additive to, but filled up at regular stop before getting home and where I did add additive. Then temps dropped like a rock w/ temps below 0 and stayed there. So despite adding anti-gel, wasn't enough to counter the 5 gallons surpringly. So now at around late Nov or so, I start adding anti-gel and fuel at same stop all them time.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About the only good thing of driving in -20 (f) or colder is how tacky the snow/ice that might be on the highways gets.

At sustained cold, both highway and in-town road snow and ice tends to slowly sublimate away, but until then, the highway gets tacky while in town the intersections just get polished....[emoticon]

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ACZL wrote:

Knock on wood my '16 Freightliner Cascadia hasn't gelled, but that's on the company if it does.

Newer Class 7-8 engines come with a fuel heater on the primary and/or secondary fuel filters so the likely hood of it happening on a new truck is much lower than an older truck like the OP's.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/20 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4lord, Yes we have! Our first diesel truck (1993) fuel bought 3rd week of November, from a truck-stop in Wyoming. We “assumed” it would be blended fuel. We were boondocking while hunting, and discovered our fuel was gelled at only a -20 F. This was just part of the problems we had on that trip. memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Summer fuel at minus 42
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.