cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interstate 91 to NH White Mountains

twitherite
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, We're taking a trip this July to the New Hampshire White Mountains. We live in Central PA. Has anyone traveled Interstate 91 through Massachusetts and Vermont? We have a 40 foot fifth wheel. Wondering how interstate 91 is....road condition?....steep elevations?....rest and fuel stops?....low bridges? Any advice would be appreciated!! Our plan is to stay at the Twin Mountains KOA off of US 302.

Thank you!!
10 REPLIES 10

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
lmpres wrote:
When going north/south, no problem. But you will find going east/west in VT/NH there's no great routes.

Have to disagree with you. No problems whatsoever with 4, 2, or even 11/103 or something else. It just takes longer and you can't be skeered of 2 lane roads and some hills. Every little town you go through looks like it's supposed to be on a Christmas card, especially in the winter.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Consider as well getting both "Next Exit" & book that lists all roads/exits/fuel stops (forgot exact name of it). Going thru Troy can be a lil PITA, but once out of it, very nice drive as stated before.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

lmpres
Explorer
Explorer
When going north/south, no problem. But you will find going east/west in VT/NH there's no great routes.

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
twitherite wrote:
Hello all, We're taking a trip this July to the New Hampshire White Mountains. We live in Central PA. Has anyone traveled Interstate 91 through Massachusetts and Vermont? We have a 40 foot fifth wheel. Wondering how interstate 91 is....road condition?....steep elevations?....rest and fuel stops?....low bridges? Any advice would be appreciated!! Our plan is to stay at the Twin Mountains KOA off of US 302.

Thank you!!

While in NH,if you go toward Conway,go over the Kangusmagos Hwy....beautiful view...we went over with this 45 ft motorhome ,towing...
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

twitherite
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
It's an Interstate; you won't have any more steep grades or low bridges than on any other Interstate (and less than some). Generally a nice enough road, a little irksome going through Springfield, MA due to traffic and such but not too bad. Beyond there traffic is generally not an issue in the least bit. The scenery is pleasant, and indeed quite pretty in some areas. Around I-89 there are a couple of miles where reasonably strong cross-winds are not uncommon; nothing at all unmanageable, but something to be alert for.

Rest areas, with facilities, I think there's just the Vermont Welcome Center (which is very nice) and one at Bradford not far from US302 when going northbound, and a rest area just south of I-89 southbound. Fuel is reasonably available, although there's not a station at every exit that would easily accommodate a large fifth wheel. It's not as though the entire route is all that long anyhow; you likely could get all the way from the southern MA border on a single tank.

Thank you for the detailed information! Very helpful!

twitherite
Explorer
Explorer
GDS-3950BH wrote:
Coming from Central PA, I would go up to Troy and catch 7 through Bennington and up to Rutland, then 4 through Killington picking 91 up in Hartford VT. Maybe even cut across 30/11 through Londonderry. A few 2 lane highways and a few grades but no big deal. The scenery can not be described, and there are some awesome out of the way campgrounds for an overnight not far off the path if you search for them.

Thank you the advice! We definitely prefer scenic to a boring interstate! I appreciate your help.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Coming from Central PA, I would go up to Troy and catch 7 through Bennington and up to Rutland, then 4 through Killington picking 91 up in Hartford VT. Maybe even cut across 30/11 through Londonderry. A few 2 lane highways and a few grades but no big deal. The scenery can not be described, and there are some awesome out of the way campgrounds for an overnight not far off the path if you search for them.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
It's an Interstate; you won't have any more steep grades or low bridges than on any other Interstate (and less than some). Generally a nice enough road, a little irksome going through Springfield, MA due to traffic and such but not too bad. Beyond there traffic is generally not an issue in the least bit. The scenery is pleasant, and indeed quite pretty in some areas. Around I-89 there are a couple of miles where reasonably strong cross-winds are not uncommon; nothing at all unmanageable, but something to be alert for.

Rest areas, with facilities, I think there's just the Vermont Welcome Center (which is very nice) and one at Bradford not far from US302 when going northbound, and a rest area just south of I-89 southbound. Fuel is reasonably available, although there's not a station at every exit that would easily accommodate a large fifth wheel. It's not as though the entire route is all that long anyhow; you likely could get all the way from the southern MA border on a single tank.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Roads and Routes forum from 5th Wheels.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Clear and relatively flat. Going from 91 to the KOA you’ll get into some hills, but nothing rough.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73