cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for help on battery charger for 2-3 bank system

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am looking for suggestion on a battery charger I can use for my 2-3 battery bank system thatI will be using 5-6 weekends a year in my fish house. last year I was running a two bank system and could get 7-8 hours of use before the batteries fell to 50% charge. I am usually running a 38" and 32 " led TV. A satalite TV system, and 2 or 3, 18 watt LED bulbs. as well as a ceiling fan. I try to run on battery power from 4-10pm and 5-9:00am to limit noise and not spook fish.
I am currently using this power converter

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G36Z2TH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last year I was using a vector smart charger (12/6/2. I have been unable to locate it this year after some house cleaning and am hoping I left it in the fish house.

Any suggestions on an smart charger that wont break the bank?

I did purchase this charger last weekend but am not sure I care for it. It does not show the amps going into the battery as it gains charge. Instead it only shows the percentage the battery is charged.

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SC1280-Charger-Automotive-Batteries/dp/B0797KK3N2/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_...
8 REPLIES 8

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some rules for converters.

If running a bank of batteries (not multiple banks) total the Amp Hours (remember if you are putting pairs of 6 volts you add voltage when you put 'em in series not amp hours so 2 6V 220 amp hour batteries in series is one 12V 220 amp hours.

But add up all the 12's multiply by 0.30 (30%) and that's your converter size.

Progressive Dynamics 92xx is my choice.

Now if you are using multiple banks of batteries or swapping them out you need to read about something the name of which I can not recall the spelling of.

But a link to it I can find... The moral of the article is that if one battery runs you 2 hours. and you put two in parallel instead of 4 you get more.

https://www.engineersedge.com/battery/discharge_rate_temperature_effects_battery.htm
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
mrad wrote:

It means I will be suing 2 or 3 batteries12 volt batteries wired in parallel. Sorry for the confusion. I did purchase a digital multi meter last year, so I am set there.

The UNI-T UT210E is an "amp clamp" meter. place the clamp around a single wire and you can read currentr (amps) flow. VERY handy feature !

I owned 2 other DMM and I still went out and bought one of these.

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
I still have no idea what a "2-3 battery bank system" is !

EVERY RVer should have a digital multi meter with a built in amp clamp like UNI-T UT210E

It means I will be suing 2 or 3 batteries12 volt batteries wired in parallel. Sorry for the confusion. I did purchase a digital multi meter last year, so I am set there.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I still have no idea what a "2-3 battery bank system" is !

EVERY RVer should have a digital multi meter with a built in amp clamp like UNI-T UT210E

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Considered solar?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
IMO use the charger you have if you can't find the Vector.

You don't need an ammeter since you have wet cell batts that are not sealed. It is nice to see the amps tapering. Just not vital to see that with your batts. You can use a $5.00 hydrometer to see their state of charge. Get the glass tube kind with the bobber that shows red, white, and green.

Keep charging until you are well into the green or as far along as it gets when you want to stop the generator. (Usually not worth the gen gas to keep charging the batts all the way to the top--do that on shore power at home)

I would not trust the percentage charge reading on the charger, only the hydrometer.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
mrad wrote:
I am looking for suggestion on a battery charger I can use for my 2-3 battery bank system that I will be using 5-6 weekends a year in my fish house. last year I was running a two bank system and could get 7-8 hours of use before the batteries fell to 50% charge.

I do not understand what you mean by a "2-3 battery bank system". We need more specifics on how this is actually wired and EXACTLY what kind of batteries you are using.

Last year I used 2 deep cycle wet cell batteries (group 27)from my boats trolling motor. This year I upgraded my RV battery from a group 24to 27 and plan to add that to the bank to have three batteries total

mrad wrote:

That is an INVERTER not a converter.

My bad, I meant INVERTER

mrad wrote:
I did purchase this charger last weekend but am not sure I care for it. It does not show the amps going into the battery as it gains charge. Instead it only shows the percentage the battery is charged.

Buy a digital multi meter with a built in amp clamp like UNI-T UT210E

Two 6V golf carts batteries, wired in series to make 12V, would probably be the best solution.

I know that would be the best option, but this allows me to use the batteries I already have without getting into another investment. When these fail, I will probably look into the 6V batteries.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
mrad wrote:
I am looking for suggestion on a battery charger I can use for my 2-3 battery bank system that I will be using 5-6 weekends a year in my fish house. last year I was running a two bank system and could get 7-8 hours of use before the batteries fell to 50% charge.

I do not understand what you mean by a "2-3 battery bank system". We need more specifics on how this is actually wired and EXACTLY what kind of batteries you are using.

mrad wrote:

That is an INVERTER not a converter.

mrad wrote:

Buy a digital multi meter with a built in amp clamp like UNI-T UT210E

Two 6V golf carts batteries, wired in series to make 12V, would probably be the best solution.