Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Full Hook-ups or no?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Full Hook-ups or no?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just curious. Some RVers won't consider sites without FHUs, some prefer the flexability of staying in wilder places without worrying about hook-ups and some are in between, wanting at least electricity. We started around 1970 with a pop-up and didn't even think about the issue and never had hook-ups. Then with an RV for many years we sought out campgrounds often without hook-ups. But now, we really prefer electric but will use a national park campground without. We've never felt sewer to be too important. Even this winter we will be at a national forest site without so we will just drive to the dump once a week. Water hook-up is preferred but no mandatory. I feel that absolutely requiring FHUs causes one to miss out on many beautiful campgrounds.

Jayco-noslide

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my idea of camping is not in a rv park where the guy next door can smell my steak .no hookups out in the woods for me.

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/20 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those of us with larger rigs find it inconvenient to un-hook and pull to the dump station and then put up with some people who take 30 to 45 minutes there to dump their tanks and then come back to the same site to set up all over again. If we are only staying somewhere a short time, 3 days or less, I will forgo the sewer hook up and wait until the next place with a full hook-up to dump at my leisure. Some people like to rough it, some people like glamping, I prefer having a level of comfort when I travel and that involves full hook-up. To each his own.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It realy depends. We like forest service, blm, corp of engineers and gravel pit type locations. We use commercial rv parks to service rig like dump and flush tanks take on water, do laundry and the like.
We like the quiet and scenery over noise of commercial locations.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/20 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my off-road POPUP setup I get by just fine doing the day/night camping run off my built up battery. The time from 5-11PM is the worse draw on the batteries.

The next morning if my batteries are down to the 12.0VDC level I will hookup to my 2KW portable generator and do a three hour battery charge running off the generator. usually do this during breakfast.

Then I am good again for the next Day/Night run off the batteries...

Roy Ken
[image]

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hook ups or not is the very last thing on our decision list for a CG.

Even available water is low on the list.

We seldom end up at a CG with full hookups, more often water/electric. But at many CG we like the spots we want have no hookups and that's fine with us.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/20 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sitting here trying to remember the last time we had ANY hookups. And can't come up with it without checking my logs, so suffice to say we rarely use them. Putting solar on the rig has made it easier to avoid running the gen, and now it actually feels like we are self-sufficient, at least for a couple weeks.

The biggest part of it is that we make it a point to not camp where A/C would be necessary.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

C.B.

APPLETON WI USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/20 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go by the site. If the site I want has fhu so be it.
Doesn't bother me to go to dump station.

C.B.

CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We do all the types of RVing imaginable, but certainly prefer boondocking and drycamping for the extra space. We always search an area we plan to visit for our preferred method, alas there are times a crowded and cramped private park is the only feasible choice, still preferable to a hotel.

Being 100% self contained allows us to use our rig and all it's amenities without shore power, with over 100 gallons of freshwater onboard our only constriction is our black/gray tanks that require dumping after a week or so. By then we are ready to move on anyway to our next adventure.

We are pretty lucky to live in the mountain west/four corners region where a few minutes off any highway or byway leads to boondocking paradise. State and COE parks are pretty roomy and have found a few private parks with very large sites, some an acre each. Whether to enjoy nature or attend a concert or other public function in a large city, we love utilizing our RV.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boondocking all the time.
USFS campgrounds in the quiet season.
RV parks when I need to empty and refill tanks and wash clothes and take a shower.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Full Hook-ups or no?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.