Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Full Hook-ups or no?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Full Hook-ups or no?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco-noslide wrote:

I feel that absolutely requiring FHUs causes one to miss out on many beautiful campgrounds.

The first thing my brother asks when I propose we travel with our trailers together to a campground is, "are there hookups"? He seems to require one. I prefer not. Generally, I find that campgrounds with hookups are more crowded, built with site after site in a row, and more developed for families with kids. Of course, that is a generalization. He has his favorite spots and so do I. My favorite spots are less developed with no hookups and less crowded.

I do find myself struggling to find a dump station in the locations I like however. That is a pain. I've had some luck pulling into a campground and paying for the right to dump in an open spot and then moving on, but more and more this is difficult.

The capacities in my trailer are perfect for a 3-4 day weekend, and stretched for a week long trip.

There is something special about camping in an RV.

bid_time

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best thing about camping in America, everyone gets to do it there own way. I don't worry about how everyone else is doing it, I do it my way.

pasusan

Northernmost PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We don't need FHU, but definitely electric. Never - ever want to be anywhere near someone with a generator. It happened a few times and now we are particular.

We mostly go to state or federal parks so almost never FHU.

When the kids were with us we had the perfect camper - a 1974 Scotty. It had an interior propane light. Didn't even need a battery. But - those were the days when everybody didn't need electric and therefore a generator.

Guess you can tell we don't like generators... [emoticon]

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben
2004 Roadtrek 170 for quick getaways
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub for longer trips
Trip Pics

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/20 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

in the beginning...1986. a couple if newbees starting out in a year old 25' class A. no clue on what to expect but how hard could it be? what could possibly go wrong? lots, actually..lol. there was lots of no-hookup camping and some W/E or electric-only camping mostly in state/local/national parks and forests. did that for many, many years and had a blast.

over the past 36-seasons we have transitioned from campers to travelers. our MH is our hotel room. i can't recall the last time we were without hookups. "but the parks are so crowded, everyone is so close and you usually need reservations". same thing applies to condos and hotels. camping or traveling by RV....it's all good.

and that's ok, we make no apologies. whatever works for you.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Mike134

Elgin

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We typically boon-dock for 3 days then one night at a water and electric site to refill and dump when we leave. repeat.

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm with rk911, we are travelers, not "campers". We use our 5th wheel to haul our motorcycles and as a base of operations while traveling. We try to have full hookups because we desire to be comfortable. We have the capability to "boondock" but we never have. It works for us and we like it, and that's all that matters. IMO of course.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We do all kinds. As former popup campers. We learned to camp for a few days with water, electricity, or sewer for a few nights. Wit lanterns, and a water bladder. We do just fine.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am just a weekend camper with a 20 year old Travel Trailer. I never use the water even when it's available because I don't trust my old plumbing so I always fill the tank. I often prefer Electric especially when it's hot out. But, in the spring and fall I use the non-electric spots because they are often better and cheaper. I have two golf cart batteries so I'm good to go for several days.

Trekkar

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With a small footprint rig, we stay where we like. We prefer boondock sites, but it really depends on what we want to do.
We have free gym memberships, so we can exercise, shower, and even overnight there if we want to. Changed to cassette toilet, so no black tank to dump. Lots of options, and we like it that way.
Isn't it great that we can all pretty much do it like we want to!?

2001 RoadTrek 190

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We do both but prefer full hookups on extended stays.

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Full Hook-ups or no?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.