Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Full Hook-ups or no?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Full Hook-ups or no?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We can go 7-8 days without being hooked up to anything, so if we have a longer trip like that, I prefer boondocking so we can really "get away". But if it's a short weekend trip closer to home, full hookups are nice to have because we're already short on time, so we don't have to spend time filling up the water tank or dumping when it's time to go home. At the very least in a campground, we like having electric because the sound of generators when you're trying to relax is annoying. Ours is quiet, but many other people's are not.

* This post was edited 01/14/20 02:21pm by JAC1982 *

2017 Keystone Impact 351
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch

2019 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn
2016 Ford Explorer Sport 3.5 Eco-Boost
2015 Polaris RZR 900S

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/20 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For us it's pretty simple. DW won't use campground provided showers, and will only use their toilets if it's because we are away from the camper - and that reality means the kids never go acclimated to such things either. So, hookups quickly become a necessity for us. We will frequently do an overnight on the road using nothing but electric, and we will sometimes do a couple of weekend nights at a site with only water and electric (dumping as we leave). More than 2 nights, however, and we absolutely need sewer for our style of camping.

As others said before, that's the blessing of it all...to each his/her own!

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having power is important if the weather is hot or cold. Having water & sewer onsite is a non issue. Prefere a back in also.

Don't understand why so many CG operators look at us & assume that we will want a FHU pull through.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

garmp

St Louis, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/20 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To us, campers of over 40 years recently turned RVers, the difference between fhu or not is basically whether you are a camper or an RVer. A destinationer or a tourer.
We are new to the RV experience and thusly only require electric, water is a plus, as we try to do as much outside as we can.
Many RVers leave their coach only to adjust their satellite dish. They need fhu.
Just my observation.

Our Phoenix Cruiser 2100, "Bob", has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

ncrowley

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In order or priority:
Power
Water
Sewer
However, most of the time we have full hookups. We stay in RV parks and rarely park in the boonies. We are retired and we park in an area where we can see the local sights which usually means we are in a town.

Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We flip-flop between all types. We prefer dry FS types where there's room between sites and where most are outdoor nature oriented.
We do stay at W/E at Oregon St parks. We do the RV thing on occasion but usually only when necessary like needing to dump and wash clothes. Or if it's really hot and we need AC. Or if we're on the road and need a stop over for the night.
I do feel that those that are power pole FHU lovers are really missing out on whats out there. I suppose that to some hiking, swimming, bike riding is just not their thing and thats fine. If all I had to do was sit around and stare at my neighbors I wouldn't own an RV.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On longer trips tHe CG itself is seldom my destination. Generally there is something else in the area that attracts me.
With that in mind I will take best CG available.
Best maybe a nice state park with electric only connection.
Best maybe a full blown resort CG with manicured sites and full hook ups.
Close to the attractions will factor into best. I will not stay on the outskirts and commute to attractions. For example if I'm going to Disney I will budget for Fort Wilderness. Cedar point Park I will stay at their lighthouse point CG.
Myrtle Beach I prefer Myrtle Beach State Park vs. one of the big 3.
Because I don't want to be hot and I don't want to hear my genset the entire trip I require at least 30 amp electric. Sewer connection is optional
I try to roll with the punches and make the most of what's available in the area.
Crowds, distance, site size are bigger factors for me than FHU vs. non FHU.
FHU and packed in like sardines is not desirable vs. a decent size 30 amp no sewer site.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

PhilipB

MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/20 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When kids were young we usually did full (5 of us).

Toy hauler makes boondocking pretty easy. Now we do about 7 weekends a year at motorcycle rides and a few other trips here and there without any hook up.

We can go about 5 days comfortably.

2015 Ram 2500
2013 Raptor 310TS

Lwiddis

Monterey, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/20 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“Water hook-up is preferred but not mandatory.”

Why? Using your pump and tank is safer. No high pressure spikes etc. A place to refill and dump is nice however. Solar gives me enough to recharge 99% of the time.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/20 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Veebyes wrote:

Having power is important if the weather is hot or cold. Having water & sewer onsite is a non issue. Prefere a back in also.

Don't understand why so many CG operators look at us & assume that we will want a FHU pull through.

prob becuz most do.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Full Hook-ups or no?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.