Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dually Valve Stems

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Our Class C has dually wheels.
Hubby can get to them (with difficulty) to air up...but he has huge hands and there is cussing and spitting to get some air in our class c. I tried it (much smaller hands) and it is a pain. Any ideas on this. The valve extension reviews are not good (leakage).
Donna
28 REPLIES 28

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is what I want to have done to mine.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
I'm probably going to get one of the dual air chucks like shown by Klutchdust above. But, another option may be, remove the outer tire cover. I took my rig to Goodyear and that's what the mechanic did. Apparently on the rear tires the shiny metal cover is for show and can be removed by taking off two lug nuts. Then he could reach the stem pointing inward more easily. Has anyone else seen that done?
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
X4 for the Borg valve stems. Have them, love them.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Freep wrote:
Tire-man is no more. The site is still up but none of the phone numbers work, the email bounces and looking at google street maps it looks like someone else has the shop now.

Chuck,the owner passed away and none of his kids wanted to keep it going. I suppose that the website will eventually die as did Chuck and Sue.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
Tire-man is no more. The site is still up but none of the phone numbers work, the email bounces and looking at google street maps it looks like someone else has the shop now.
2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on Kluchdustโ€™s tools. I asked Costco tire shop to use slightly longer rubber stems and have no trouble checking pressures or airing up.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Borg solid stems in the rear and standard short stem in the front. Have TST 507 sensors attached all around, flow throughs on the rear and non-flow throughs on the front. This setup has worked great for years.
2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m basically using the same setup as Klutchdust. One way valve caps and extended dual head air chucks BUT for my dualies, I canโ€™t use the style chuck pictured. There are two types of dual head chucks (that I know of), one that is straight with the rear facing chuck angled (pictured) and another that has both chucks at an angle. Mine is the latter. Because of different wheel and extention configurations, I donโ€™t think there is one solution that will fit all.

Norm

klutchdust wrote:
I have standard valve stems, I installed valve stem caps that cover the stem yet allow air to go into the tire and use long reach air chuck and tire gauge.
No problem.
Add a drop of paint pen on the rim where the inside stem is so you know where it is.

F1BNorm

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
ItsyRV wrote:
Sam Spade wrote:
ItsyRV wrote:
For those with the stems in the rim, how do you handle tire rotation?

An RV owner who rotates his tires ?????
I didn't think such an animal existed.

Really folks.....for the 95% or so of owners who do NOT rotate their tires.....just put a short, straight stem on your outside dual and be done with it.

Simple, cheap and easy.

๐Ÿ™‚
I guess I'm a rare breed. It seems like a really cheap cost to get them inspected and rotated. Because of that, I never understood why a person would install a valve in the rim that was tire position specific since it would no longer serve it's purpose when tire is moved to another location. But, if rotating tires isn't something most RVers do, guess that answers my question.

My outside rims are aluminum and the inside of the duals are steel. To rotate, the tires have to be removed from the rims etc. When it went in for alignment the shop did that for me but I won't do it again.
When a tire shows wear it will be replaced. I was trying to keep all the tires in the same tread pattern but the new michelins are slightly different than the older model tires.
On my other vehicles tire rotation AND including the spare on my new JL is important, the motorhome not so much.
In all my travels I have yet to find a need to add air to my tires when on the road.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
BruceMc wrote:

BTW, I'm one of those 5% who DO rotate tires! I don't remove all of them - I just lift the desired axles,

Do you really put enough miles on in a 5 year span to put enough wear on them to mean that rotating will actually accomplish anything useful ?? For the vast majority of people, the answer to that is a resounding NO......and the tires will be replaced on AGE and not mileage or wear. In which case, rotating is just a waste of time and money.

P.S. How do you do a complete rotation without "removing all of them" ??
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
ItsyRV wrote:

Really folks.....for the 95% or so of owners who do NOT rotate their tires.....just put a short, straight stem on your outside dual and be done with it.

Simple, cheap and easy.

๐Ÿ™‚
I guess I'm a rare breed. It seems like a really cheap cost to get them inspected and rotated. Because of that, I never understood why a person would install a valve in the rim that was tire position specific since it would no longer serve it's purpose when tire is moved to another location. But, if rotating tires isn't something most RVers do, guess that answers my question.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
While the Borg/Tireman extensions are the way to go for many folks, this has been my method for a decade:

Kit:

Small metal extensions - tighten the inner fitting with small pliers. I've never had a leak with these on both our Ford (shown) and our current Sunseeker based on the Chevrolet 4500:

Leave the inner dual as is - no need to add an extension:

Using the short piece of hose, remove the inner valve cap:

Result:

Check the pressure with the double footed gauge:

If it needs air, temporarily use an extender. The female end fitting is fixed; it does not spin on the hose, so it can be spun on using the hose:

Result:

Attach your compressor, and add air as needed:

BTW, I'm one of those 5% who DO rotate tires! I don't remove all of them - I just lift the desired axles, but I did remove all when Michelin had a recall a few years back:

2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your help...he has lots to contemplate.
Donna

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
ItsyRV wrote:

Simple, cheap and easy.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"