Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

North from Colorado to Mt Rushmore

ezgoin
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,

We’re taking I-25 north to Orin, then East on hwy 18 thru Lusk and Edgemont.
Then onto 89 and 385 north thru Hill City.

I would appreciate any info those highway conditions. Google maps looks pretty good, but some personal info always helps.

Thanks to all,
Bill
The older I get....the better I was.

Bill & Terry
And our canine kids, Skippy & Peanut
2014 Fleetwood Bounder Classic 30T
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad
11 REPLIES 11

Expyinflight
Explorer
Explorer
ezgoin wrote:
Hi everyone,

I would appreciate any info those highway conditions. Google maps looks pretty good, but some personal info always helps.

Thanks to all,
Bill

We did that route last June. Heavy construction south of Denver, but we moved right along. Denver itself is never fun, but manageable. Yes, hwy 18 to Lusk can feel long and lonely at times, with very little traffic. We thought it was beautiful and interesting countryside, just the same. I highly recommend stopping overnight in Lusk at BJ's campground. Linda, the owner, is a very entertaining host. And there is a really interesting museum in Lusk. Lots of local history.
2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
When the wind is blowing harder than normal even for Wyoming, i take US 85 North of Cheyenne instead of I-25. You get one more ridge of protection on the west side as a slight windbreak on that route.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can drive out in the Plains by Sterling and go through Nebraska if you want, but staying in Wyoming is much more interesting.

Driving thru Denver takes some time. Be there when it is not rush hour.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
ezgoin wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks to all,
Bill

Specific to the above....lonely. I'm in northern CO, have done that drive more than a few times. Some tips:

Fuel up in Cheyenne. Gas/Diesel will be cheaper than in Colorado. and there's no fuel north of Cheyenne for quite a while. Used to be a place in Chugwater but no more. Next fuel is in Wheatland, some 70 miles north of Cheyenne. There's also a truck stop or 2 at Orin Junction.

From Orin Jct to Lusk, there are some little "towns" (place names) but very little there, until you get to Lusk. If you need it, fuel up in Lusk. There's absolutely nothing north of Lusk on US 85 other than wide open Wyoming and it's big ranches. There's no cell service in that area, as is the case in a goodly sized portion of Wyoming.

There's a rest area at Mule Creek Junction, where US 18 splits from US 85 but nothing else. Good place to stop and stretch a bit.

There a goodly climb in elevation heading east from Mule Creek til you get to the SD/WY line. There's fuel in Edgemont. Nice drive once you reach where it flattens out (a relative term for the Black Hills area). Watch for the SD89 turn off, it always seems to sneak up on me 😄 Rolling terrain, some curves but a good drive all the way in to where you meet up with US 385 at Pringle, and on in the Custer. Hill City is an easy drive up from Custer.

Early fall time frame should be a good time for this, but just be aware that it can still get a bit warm...or a bit cold. Did the drive from Lusk to Mule Jct one time when it was 105+ degrees all the way, then cooled to the 80s in Edgemont.

ETA: As an alternative, you could take US 85/exit 17 on I-25 in Cheyenne northeast to Torrington, then west on US 26 to Fort Laramie, which is, in my opinion, an underrated attraction and historical site, worth spending some time there learning about the history of that part of Wyoming. Double back to Lingle and pick up US 85 north to Lusk. I've enjoyed that part of the drive more than the part from Orin Jct to Lusk.

Whichever way you go, have a great trip!
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
A few years ago did somewhat the same route. I would highly recommend spending a couple nights at Fort Robinson State park. http://outdoornebraska.gov/fortrobinson/

Their rv park is great if you are into history this is a place you will want to stop at.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

gwalter
Explorer III
Explorer III
We just made this trip this fall. The shortest route is 24 to Limon, then 70 to Brush and I 76 to Sterling. Sterling to Sidney, NE and pick up 385 into SD. Much of 385 is divided highway and a good road. 385 goes into Hot Springs and into the Black Hills. Highway 79 at Hot Springs goes north into Rapid City depending on where you are staying.
2010 Ram 3500 Laramie
2021 Bighorn 3120 RK
B & W Companion Hitch
Air Bags

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
I use Wyoming DOT website
WYO ROAD
and downloaded their mobile app to keep an eye on the roads.

I travel to Custer and Rapid City fairly regularly.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
I25 from Monument to Castle Rock is a mess as they are widening about 18 miles all at the same time. Won't be finished 'till 2022. I'd avoid it if at all possible. From Colorado Springs I'd suggest US24 to Limon and then north or to Burlington and then north on US385 which goes all the way to the Black Hills area. I've traveled US385 and it is a good road.

ezgoin
Explorer
Explorer
We are actually starting from Arizona, stopping in Colorado Springs before heading farther north. Planning on the trip for early fall. I guess I should have made my route more understandable. Not looking forward to the drive through Denver either.
The older I get....the better I was.

Bill & Terry
And our canine kids, Skippy & Peanut
2014 Fleetwood Bounder Classic 30T
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Where are you starting in Colorado? I-25 from Colorado Springs through Denver all the way up to Ft Collins can get dicey only because of the sheer amount of traffic, even in the middle of the day in some parts. The other concern once you get north of Ft Collins is the wind, but that's something you just have to hope for the best on.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Compared to the mountains, it is easy.