cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

engine antifreeze

Old_Blue
Explorer
Explorer
2007 Holiday Rambler with a 325 cummins engine, what type antifreeze should I use in the radiator? Pulled some out of the overflow container and it seemed to be a green color. This antifreeze has never been changed.
Thanks
Bill
Bill
36 Holiday Rambler
Harley Rider
21 REPLIES 21

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
Not RVs, but on trucks I have heard that not keeping the right chemicals in the coolant leads to pinholes in the liners, coolant leaking into crankcase or combustion chamber.
Does the engine know what box it is in?

This is true for ANY linered engine.

Again for the OP, if you do not know how long the coolant has been in there or what it is, just drain, flush and go back with a new-generation OAT-based coolant. Then forget about it for 6 years. At that point, you might test it to see if you can go another year.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
wallynm wrote:
I strongly suggest you pull a sample for chemical analysis after 12 years as it could be interesting. We always get a chemical analysis on every oil and coolant change.

Not sure about the "sample at change" Not RVs, but on trucks I have heard that not keeping the right chemicals in the coolant leads to pinholes in the liners, coolant leaking into crankcase or combustion chamber.
Does the engine know what box it is in?

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
I strongly suggest you pull a sample for chemical analysis after 12 years as it could be interesting. We always get a chemical analysis on every oil and coolant change.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
wolfe10 wrote:
Scott,

Just going from the OP's first post-- he currently has green coolant. OE-- we have no idea.

Actually, not a bad idea to do a complete flush and go with one of the new-generation OAT based coolants.

I saw that, someone changed it or added green along the way. All Cummins engines of that year had pink stuff in them.
Odd thing about that pink color, it would fade in color rather quickly in a few years.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Scott,

Just going from the OP's first post-- he currently has green coolant. OE-- we have no idea.

Actually, not a bad idea to do a complete flush and go with one of the new-generation OAT based coolants.
Brett Wolfe

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
wolfe10 wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Green fluid is wrong and can cause damage.

There absolutely ARE some green "approved" coolants for diesels. Most are the old-chemistry "low silicate with added SCA" type. With these, the SCA concentration needs to be checked annually and new added per test results.

From Cummins/Fleetguard pdf. Page 14 Fleetcool is green.

https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/sites/default/files/LT36504_Coolant_Products.pdf

Of course there are some green fluids meant for some diesels - but not the OP's.
His particular engine stipulates OAT and a specific Cummins spec number (CES) that the green stuff, even that made for some diesels by Fleetguard, doesn't.
And you picked the wrong Fleetcool. The OP's engine uses Fleetcool EX/ES formula, which is pink and was the original fill in back then.

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
You cannot judge a coolant by the color. Read your owners manual for coolant specs and then read the label on the coolant jug.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Green fluid is wrong and can cause damage.

There absolutely ARE some green "approved" coolants for diesels. Most are the old-chemistry "low silicate with added SCA" type. With these, the SCA concentration needs to be checked annually and new added per test results.

From Cummins/Fleetguard pdf. Page 14 Fleetcool is green.

https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/sites/default/files/LT36504_Coolant_Products.pdf
Brett Wolfe

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Green fluid is wrong and can cause damage. Get it out of there.
Also, don't just get fluid for "diesels". Make sure it meets the Cummins spec.
This is the correct fluid for your particular angine: Zerex G05

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
Ranger Smith wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Drain the overflow tub and the radiator and replace it with regular anti freeze from Walmart.

Or have Walmart do it for you.

Not on my worst day.

You have either a Fleet Guard fully formulated which has the SCA's in it or you have an OAT coolant depending on the year of your rig. A call to Freightliner can tell you which they put in when built.

Freightliner wont be able to help him , his coach is built on a Roadmaster chassis .
I bought Peak million mile heavy duty diesel coolant at Wal-Mart
approx. 12.50 per gal .
Cummins/Fleetgard has decided that coolants are actually compatible .
So it appears that now you can drain the old coolant , blow out
what you can and refill .

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Ya, can't rule out getting an approved coolant at Walmart.

Also, can't rule out using Prestone. Prestone DOES make an approved coolant for diesels. Just not the "regular" Prestone like you are likely to find at Walmart.
Brett Wolfe

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
My Walmart sells Peak Diesel Coolant.
2014 American Eagle

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on being very careful on getting the correct coolant. My 2014 ctd pickup uses OAT which looks orange in the reservoir yet is actually purple. The CTD SUPPLEMENT warns of engine damage if the wrong coolant is used. Every auto parts store will try to sell me the wrong thing, only the dealer has had the correct stuff so far.

I would never listen to Walmart and auto parts stores

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Note that the quoted text below applies to ALL engines with only a name change:

"Read coolant specs in your Cummins manual or your chassis manual."

This is always the best advice. be it a Cummins, Cat, Detroit Diesel or Chevy or Ford gasser.. Read the manual. NO manual visit the factory store (A Cummins dealer in this case)

The different colors tend to Suggest (not dictate) a type of anti-freeze. Some of them do not mix well with others. Some can cuase real issues if they are put in the wrong engine.

Chevy for a time used a special "Lifetime" coolant on their engines. (I do not know the color)

But you want to stick with the same type the factory put in if you can.
NOTE: you need not buy it at the Cummins shop but find out what kind it is there.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times