Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: New Source of TV While on the Road
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> New Source of TV While on the Road

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Bigbird65

Arlington Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/20 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have DirecTV at home and a portable dish we use on the road. When time is short or I am too lazy or tired to set up the dish I can get all of the channels in our DTV plan using the DirecTV app on my AT&T Samsung GS5 phone. The big advantage is that watching TV this way uses NO data on my phone plan, therefore no additional cost. However, I certainly don't want to watch TV on that tiny screen. So, I wirelessly connect to the Samsung 32" smart TV using Screen Mirroring. I do connect the charge cable to the phone.

[image]

[image]

2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

az99

NY.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/20 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

Using Sling for $25 a month instead of what dish charges you, and I got a free TV dongle for signing up for 2 months.
So for that $25 you get all the same channels as a Dish package? And locals? How about the DVR? How much is your unlimited data plan? I don't think you are comparing apples to apples. [emoticon]

jorbill2or

Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/20 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sling prices just went up as most of the streaming services have . Sling offers almost no locals ( that’s why they are cheaper and very limited channels) , but if they are the ones you want ??

Bill

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/20 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

az99 wrote:

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

Using Sling for $25 a month instead of what dish charges you, and I got a free TV dongle for signing up for 2 months.
So for that $25 you get all the same channels as a Dish package? And locals? How about the DVR? How much is your unlimited data plan? I don't think you are comparing apples to apples. [emoticon]

I "assume" this works the same as my roku where I can get showtime/hbo/etc thru it but only if I have a subscription to hbo etc.
bumpy

jhilley

Buxton, ND

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/20 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sling Blue is now $30/mo. It now has all the channels I want. They give you 10 hrs of free DVR. I have the Sling AirTV Duo connected to an antenna at home for 42 OTA channels that I can get anywhere with the Sling App on my ROKU or Fire Stick connected to TV.This allows us to watch local to our home news anywhere. The AirTV dhas a USB drive attached for 200 hrs of OTA recording viewable anywhere.

2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53 Chassis Solar Power
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C F53 Chassis Solar power
Handicap Equipped with Lift & Hospital Bed
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/20 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do something very similar but I download shows and movies to my mobile device. Works great and no problems with “throttling”.

I have the Base Verizon unlimited plan. I’ve read the fine print. Basically it starts to prioritize you depending on the network load. I have had issues trying to stream in densely populated areas but in rural areas I have never had a problem (as long as I have service). I would say we are heavy streamers as we do not have cable or satellite TV.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

TV- 2011 Chevy Tahoe, 2WD, Hayden transmission cooler
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control
Tekonsha Voyager brake controller (Great Brake Controller)

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

was_butnotnow

Fulltime: Emery, SD

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/20 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The big advantage is that watching TV this way uses NO data on my phone plan, therefore no additional cost.
Aren't you still downloading DTV content over the cell internet, thus using your data?

Now in a 05 Monaco Cayman DP 36 PDQ
Traveled many years in NuWa Hitchhiker 5th wheels.
Travel Journals and Adventures of people living this lifestyle Hitchitch.com
Personal blog with our own travels. www.fulltime.hitchitch.com

Bigbird65

Arlington Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/20 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

was_butnotnow wrote:

The big advantage is that watching TV this way uses NO data on my phone plan, therefore no additional cost.
Aren't you still downloading DTV content over the cell internet, thus using your data?

Yes you are still streaming DirecTV from a cell tower and no you are not using data on your phone plan. The only disadvantage is that you are tying up your phone while watching TV. Not a problem for me. This link should answer your questions. Let me know what you think.
https://www.att.com/directv/experience/watch-directv-app.html

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/20 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have two unlimited (never throttled, just prioritized on busy towers) data plans, one with AT&T at $20/mo using their Connected Car Plan with the SIM in a Netgear hotspot, and a Visible (a Verizon company) $25/mo "Party Pay" phone plan with tethering/hotspot support. We stream to our FireTVstick daily with one or the other plan when we're in transit between destinations, and almost as much at our longer term destinations even with our Dish sat service set up. We've yet to land anywhere that one or the other cell service didn't give us an adequate signal, although I'm sure those places exist. We do use a Maximum Signal Max Amp RV cell amplifier/repeater in fringe areas though.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/20 05:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is anyone streaming programs from your computer to the FireStick? I have old episodes of Northern Exposure on my computer and I was using Plex to stream them without much trouble. Now Plex has changed something and I cannot get my files to load on the Plex Media Server. I tried VLA and that's way over my head. It says it's the easiest but keeps asking for log in information I have no idea how to answer.
No more hardware answers, please. I have a MiFi, a laptop and a FireStick (2 actually).

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> New Source of TV While on the Road
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.