cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trip West

ready2rock
Explorer
Explorer
We’re planning to head west this fall. On the list is Grand Canyon and Denver, Co. we’re leaving from Southside VA. Any suggestions on best route or routes not to take any suggestions on sights to see along the way? Thanks in advance.
Dave and Pam
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500
2009 Rockwood Fiver 8285WS (Ultra Lite)
19 REPLIES 19

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
We’ve taken several trips “West”. One of our favorites was to Utah. On the way, we stayed in Cortez, CO (Cortez/Mesa Verde KOA) and went to the Mesa Verde Indian ruins. In Utah, we stayed in Moab (Spanish Trail RV Park) and made it our “base” while we took day trips to Arches Natl Park, Dead Horse Point State Park, Hole in the Rock, and a beautiful drive…Scenic Route 128 which is accessed from the city of Moab. We also took a trip to Monument Valley and Four Corners.

Another time we visited the Grand Canyon…stayed in Williams, AZ at the Grand Canyon Railway RV Park, and rode the train to the Canyon. Williams is a neat little Route 66 town.

In 2012 we went all the way to California, up the coast to Cannon Beach, OR. Beautiful! In CA, we stayed at a place called Casa de Fruta. It's not a town, but a place with an RV park, a motel, a restaurant, and a market with all kinds of fresh fruits, nuts, and wine.

I know you will enjoy your trip...so much to see and do!

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Word of caution: some of those higher altitudes get snow early in September. It varies from year to year. You will want to take a weather app on your phone and keep an eye on conditions.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
ready2rock wrote:
Thanks and based on everyone’s feedback we might make adjustments in our time frame to get the biggest bang for our trip.

If I were you and had your timeline I'd LOOK Hard at this Post.

IMHO the Aspen in Colorado are just Amazing. Buena Vista and the Collegiates are filled with drives and Hikes. Cottonwood Pass - Independence Pass - Salida - Twin Lakes - Crested Butte......on and on.

If you get Really Luck you might just Catch a little Snow when you are at the top of the Pass - Really Lucky - One year we drove over to Aspen to Hike the Bells for a Couple days - Aspen were only a little Yellow - 4 days Latter on the return Drive a Sea of Gold and SNOW when we reached the Pass - UNBELIEVABLY BEAUTIFUL! - When we got into Buena Vista to head into the Collegiates and Cottonwood Pass it was almost 70 - OMG moments - that trip is one of My Best every in Colorado. (note here RT 82 is a restricted size road so be aware - RT 82 restrictions

If we are on the right path we can help more, all you need to do is be specific on what you need - I'm more of a where to Go Guy - not a where to Stay Guy, so others may suggest CG's

Hope this helps,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

ready2rock
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback. Glad you had a great trip. We’re looking forward to it
Dave and Pam

dmck413
Explorer
Explorer
We did a trip in Sep. for 4 weeks. Got to see Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce,Zion,Grand Canyon and Petrified forest.We went out I64 to I70 and straight to Denver.Prospect rv park for 3 days. West on I70 to Moab,RV Valley resort for 4 days.I70 to 89 Glendale Bryce Zion campground 3 nights.89 to Flagstaff ,J&H rv park for3 nights.East I40 driving through the PF. We stayed in Flying J and Walmarts 3 nights out and back with a stop at Nashville KOA.What an awesome trip.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Look at Route 36. Nice road and it is not signed for 80 mph like the interstates out there.
Another thing to consider is winter weather. If you intend to see the Rockies I would keep the Colorado portion of your trip in Late August or early September. Any later and there is a good chance of snow at elevation.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
ready2rock wrote:
Sorry. We plan to leave va last week of August and are planning on 3-4 weeks out.
Thanks

Planning suggestions:
1. figure the total round trip distance of your total round trip.
2. Approximate the hours and miles you are comfortable driving each day.
3. Now divide that number by the total number of days you have available for your total trip. This should give you a more realistic idea of your total trip. How many days will it take to drive to the farthest point west and then back home.

ready2rock
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks and based on everyone’s feedback we might make adjustments in our time frame to get the biggest bang for our trip.
Dave and Pam

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted to clarify something in my post now that you said you are leaving VA end of Aug. The elk rut season and aspen colors in CO happen during the last half of September, so you might end up in CO too early for those sites.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

ready2rock
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! Thanks for the ideas. We will def entertain these as an option even if we have to stay out longer than we originally planned. We are flexible
Dave and Pam

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

Get yourself a National Parks Pass and end enjoy. Arches,Yellowstone, Bryce, Zion, Grand Teton, Death Valley, Mesa Verde, Rocky Mountain, Yosemite, Joshua Tree, Canyon Land, Capital Reef, Crater Lake just to list a few. All you need is time.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

ready2rock
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I’ll check out that post for ideas
Dave and Pam

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
ready2rock wrote:
We’re planning to head west this fall. On the list is Grand Canyon and Denver, Co. we’re leaving from Southside VA. Any suggestions on best route or routes not to take any suggestions on sights to see along the way? Thanks in advance.

Reading ahead work very hard at getting all four weeks and all 5 weekend long drive and more to do than you can even imagine.

Look at the post 2020 September post that is running now for a lot of good ideas - not sure what you would like for the drive out as it will still be warm in August - any chance that you start in the second week of September. It will be cooler and you might catch the Aspen turning Gold.

We leave from Annapolis taking I-70 to Indianapolis then to Hannibal And RT 36 to Denver.

Hard to type this on the phone so will check back in the AM.

Hope this Helps,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
4 weeks is plenty of time to see Denver and Grand Canyon. A week to get west and a week to get back. But you can’t tarry much along the way or spend much time at other attractions. Assume you will average 50-55 mph on good interstate quality highways including time spent for rest, fuel, and food stops. Less on secondary highways. Now use google maps to find total round trip miles. And do the math to see how many hours that will be actual highway time. Figure how many hours you can comfortably travel a day. That will tell you how much sightseeing time you will have.