cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clean Diesel trucks for TC ... maybe not!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not sure how, but I found this article in my news feed. The net is that although DPFs lower the emissions when the engine is running in a non-regen case, the diesels exceed limits as soon as the engines go in regen mode.

I think this means we’ve added a power robbing emissions system and don’t even get the benefit of cleaner air. Go figure.

The story is about diesels in Europe, but I think the principle applies to truck diesels here, too.

https://www.brusselstimes.com/all-news/belgium-all-news/89163/new-diesel-engines-exceed-emission-sta...

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member
22 REPLIES 22

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
One should be careful what they share here, Gavin Nuisance may be listening. - lol ??

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
The point of this thread was we don’t know how much pollution really happens when diesels regen. AFAIK, there is no emission test for regen mode. Who knows how much a PSD, Duramax, or Cummins puts into the air? For sure, is probably more than the non Regen mode. Just thought provoking.

I think general public doesn't have education to interpret the pollution.
When measuring pollution during regeneration would take special test, I have government station certificate that my diesels emit 0 (zero) particles when doing roll test.
I can only believe that when they emit 0 during normal performance, the emission only slightly increase during regeneration.
What's 150% of zero?

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
The point of this thread was we don’t know how much pollution really happens when diesels regen. AFAIK, there is no emission test for regen mode. Who knows how much a PSD, Duramax, or Cummins puts into the air? For sure, is probably more than the non Regen mode. Just thought provoking.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg - Forscan or Torq will show the regen status. It is a specific PID from the power train module, saying regen active or inactive. It can also be inferred from EGT4, which will ramp up to about 1100 degrees, though is takes several minutes after the start or regen to get there. On mine it happens every 500 miles whether it needs it or not. I have recorded pretty much every one since the truck was new.

On the European article, it seemed pretty typical of newspaper reporting. Slapdash and misleading. Basically they say every 480 km the particulates in the exhaust exceed the limit by 32%. A regen lasts about 16 km, or 3% of the total miles. If you do the math that results in about 1% more particulate emissions over not doing the regen. Journalists aren't usually very good at math. On the other hand my 2015 F350 is FAR cleaner than my 1999 one was. No soot, even inside the tailpipe. It doesn't smell. There is never an embarrassing black cloud behind it (even during regen).

For engine maintenance and reliability these controls are undoubtably expensive and complex, but when working they do what is claimed.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

Grodyman
Explorer
Explorer
Ever get stuck behind a semi spewing a toxic cloud of white regeneration smoke for miles? Every day.

Gman
2017 F150 CC/5.5' 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost/3.55
2018 Passport Ultra-Lite 153ML

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
... Not even sure how it’s remotely specific to a TC, much less breaking news.

TC section become in about 50% trolling.
This thread fits the criteria.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
This one was a mess right out of the gates. Not even sure how it’s remotely specific to a TC, much less breaking news.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
broark01 ..... Pretty true statement; also some people know everything....

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
hedgehopper wrote:
What is regeneration?

Do you drive post 2012 diesel?

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
What is regeneration?

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocamprs wrote:
Ford 6.7l-diesel dpf regen status

Don't know about Ford. But I had to send my old one back to Linear Logic for a update, as the old version did not read many functions on the L5P Duramax

That's the one that doesn't work at all.
On my complain several months ago - ScanGauge send me codes for another gauge, who was showing something, but was missing main regeneration.
On my 2nd complain they responded to "still working on it"
Looks like I might be the only 1 in America who is actually trying to use those gauges 🙂
Now I have to ask Grid Dog to close his ears.
I drive 1 of my sedans with DPF deleted.
The car passed the smog with 0 recorded particles.
Ford Powerstroke with factory set up measured 0 as well.

broark01
Explorer
Explorer
The only thing that travels faster than light is misinformation over the internet.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not a big surprise that the topic went off the rails. 😄

Anyway, the point was that emissions that involves a regen is a pay me now or pay me later deal. Clog your DPF and tell me how much power you have. NOTE: it isn’t fun.

Essentially, you are storing pollutants to release them later all at once. Just another reason to hate a DPF, and another reason to wonder why there are some diesels that mean the requirements without a DPF and some don’t.

Not that Mahindra tractors are known to be the best, but they don’t use a DPF. https://mahindrausa.com/mcrd

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Ford 6.7l-diesel dpf regen status

Don't know about Ford. But I had to send my old one back to Linear Logic for a update, as the old version did not read many functions on the L5P Duramax
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD