cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grand Design vs Mini Winnie plus?

RollingRopias
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Group, First time travel trailer buyer here and we are struggling on which rig to get. We are between the GD Imagine 2800bh and the Mini Winnie Plus 28bhss both 2020. The GD is $31,995 and the MWP is $26,995. Both are the lowest price I have ever seen on either. We do like the second door and interior color of the GD more than the MWP but honestly I can not say that is worth $5000. I am wondering if anyone could give me their advice on which of these TT are better quality and build. On paper they seem the same but we want to buy a TT that will last and know we will be taken care of if there are any issues.

Regarding weight and tow vehicle I have an f250 diesel so both rigs are well under our capacity.
13 REPLIES 13

lcseds
Explorer
Explorer
Opposite in my area. GD selling all day long around $26K and the Winnie is over $30K. Couple things I don't like with the Winnie is the floor mounted heat registers. Crumb catchers I call them. GD has none on the floor. Another thing I don't like, but is correctable, is my dealer gets them all with fireplaces. That takes away the pantry and extra wardrobe leaving you with precious little space. But, the winnie has some bigger TV's :-). Pluses and minuses to both. If I were buying, I'd lean to the GD for a few extra pluses and a less expensive price. No matter what you choose, cross your fingers for a good one.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
OK, I own a 2017 GD Imagine.
My $.02 - Before GD was bought by Winnebago and before they had explosive growth the build quality was better on the earlier units than the current ones. Ever since they expanded their model lineup under Winnebago I feel the quality has taken a hit.
Are they still worth the price? GD's customer service is still second to none but it's the dealer who can make or break your service experience. But yes, I'd probably go back to GD if and when we upgrade.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
RollingRopias wrote:
Hello Group, First time travel trailer buyer here and we are struggling on which rig to get. We are between the GD Imagine 2800bh and the Mini Winnie Plus 28bhss both 2020. The GD is $31,995 and the MWP is $26,995. Both are the lowest price I have ever seen on either. We do like the second door and interior color of the GD more than the MWP but honestly I can not say that is worth $5000. I am wondering if anyone could give me their advice on which of these TT are better quality and build. On paper they seem the same but we want to buy a TT that will last and know we will be taken care of if there are any issues.

Regarding weight and tow vehicle I have an f250 diesel so both rigs are well under our capacity.

Go sit in each one for maybe an hour. Check out every little detail. Imagine you are camping, cooking dinner etc. without the saleman.

We were looking at the GD 376 and the 374 for over a month (on and off). Both are the same floor plan. We also almost bought a Riverstone front living room toyhauler. Sat in it for over an hour. Started noticing that there is a lot of great counter space, but way less storage inside then the Grand Design rigs. We found a GD 2018 374TH-R that love.

It's not the money that should be the decision. Find the right rig for you. KEN
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
never ever pay sticker,or msrp. the money you save goes in your pocket not theres and never ever think the sales person is your buddy. there after your money.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The second door on a TT uses a bunch of space.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I've never been into a Winnebago travel trailer so I can't compare against the GD your considering. I can attest to the customer service reputation of GD as they came through for me on a needed repair after the warranty was over.

Also, you didn't mention the dealer name, or if they were at the same dealer, but don't fall for the "show price" or "sale price". They want to sell you a TT so negotiate for the one you want - don't just buy the one that is priced less.

Take the MSRP and calculate 30% - 35% off that on the TT you want to buy - then compare that number to their price. Their price will be below MSRP. After they give a price to you, take out your phone and calculate it in front of them - show them the phone and say this is where I'm at. Maybe they will take it, maybe they wont. Be prepared to walk - and then do so. You will find one at the price you want to pay.

I took my own advice and got 30% off MSRP on my GD 303RLS and a front bedroom AC on top of that.

Good luck.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Same dealer for both units? A big consideration should be which dealer is going to give the best after sale service. Almost all new RVs need warranty work at some point these days. Some dealers will go to bat with the manufacturer to get everything fixed in a timely manner while others could care less once they have your money.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

RollingRopias
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Second Chance. I have heard about GDโ€™s customer service and that is worth a lot. I am just wondering how that compares to Winnebagos customer service. If they are comparable or not.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Although Winnebago now owns Grand Design, GD operates as an independent company. Given similar build quality on both units, the thing that would set the two apart would be Grand Designs reputation for service (and I have experienced their first-rate customer service myself). You have to decide if a few extra features (the extra door, etc.) and the customer service are worth it to you.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

RollingRopias
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks GDS-3950bh. That is very helpful advice especially from someone who owns a GD.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty easy decision for me and I have a Grand Design. Nothing special about them at all, just another mass produced trailer.

Get the Winnie and save the money. You get a Bal Norco frame and not the Lippert frame that's under the Grand Design. You'll get plenty of Lippert junk regardless in both, so don't worry about that.

You'll get more cheap LED accent lighting with the Grand Design however, including in the exterior $6 speakers.

"but honestly I can not say that is worth $5000" It's not.

RollingRopias
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I have shopped the dealers within 300 miles of me and these are the best prices. One is also an RV show price.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
have you shopped dealers? I found several thousand dollars in difference from one dealer to another on an even smaller TT.