Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Grand Design vs Mini Winnie plus?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Grand Design vs Mini Winnie plus?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
RollingRopias

California

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello Group, First time travel trailer buyer here and we are struggling on which rig to get. We are between the GD Imagine 2800bh and the Mini Winnie Plus 28bhss both 2020. The GD is $31,995 and the MWP is $26,995. Both are the lowest price I have ever seen on either. We do like the second door and interior color of the GD more than the MWP but honestly I can not say that is worth $5000. I am wondering if anyone could give me their advice on which of these TT are better quality and build. On paper they seem the same but we want to buy a TT that will last and know we will be taken care of if there are any issues.

Regarding weight and tow vehicle I have an f250 diesel so both rigs are well under our capacity.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

have you shopped dealers? I found several thousand dollars in difference from one dealer to another on an even smaller TT.

RollingRopias

California

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, I have shopped the dealers within 300 miles of me and these are the best prices. One is also an RV show price.

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pretty easy decision for me and I have a Grand Design. Nothing special about them at all, just another mass produced trailer.

Get the Winnie and save the money. You get a Bal Norco frame and not the Lippert frame that's under the Grand Design. You'll get plenty of Lippert junk regardless in both, so don't worry about that.

You'll get more cheap LED accent lighting with the Grand Design however, including in the exterior $6 speakers.

"but honestly I can not say that is worth $5000" It's not.

RollingRopias

California

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks GDS-3950bh. That is very helpful advice especially from someone who owns a GD.

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/20 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Although Winnebago now owns Grand Design, GD operates as an independent company. Given similar build quality on both units, the thing that would set the two apart would be Grand Designs reputation for service (and I have experienced their first-rate customer service myself). You have to decide if a few extra features (the extra door, etc.) and the customer service are worth it to you.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MOR/ryde independent suspension, disc brakes, LR G tires
2020 Solitude 310GK-R on order (with MORryde IS)
PullRite OE 18K, Demco Glide Ride pin box
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

RollingRopias

California

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you Second Chance. I have heard about GD’s customer service and that is worth a lot. I am just wondering how that compares to Winnebagos customer service. If they are comparable or not.

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Same dealer for both units? A big consideration should be which dealer is going to give the best after sale service. Almost all new RVs need warranty work at some point these days. Some dealers will go to bat with the manufacturer to get everything fixed in a timely manner while others could care less once they have your money.

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never been into a Winnebago travel trailer so I can't compare against the GD your considering. I can attest to the customer service reputation of GD as they came through for me on a needed repair after the warranty was over.

Also, you didn't mention the dealer name, or if they were at the same dealer, but don't fall for the "show price" or "sale price". They want to sell you a TT so negotiate for the one you want - don't just buy the one that is priced less.

Take the MSRP and calculate 30% - 35% off that on the TT you want to buy - then compare that number to their price. Their price will be below MSRP. After they give a price to you, take out your phone and calculate it in front of them - show them the phone and say this is where I'm at. Maybe they will take it, maybe they wont. Be prepared to walk - and then do so. You will find one at the price you want to pay.

I took my own advice and got 30% off MSRP on my GD 303RLS and a front bedroom AC on top of that.

Good luck.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Lwiddis

Monterey, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/20 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The second door on a TT uses a bunch of space.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Grand Design vs Mini Winnie plus?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.