cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

6.7 cummins HP

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at getting a MH and wondering how the 6.7L cummins with 340 HP preforms in the rocky mountains. Since I do most of my travels in and around the Rockies. I am looking at the Forza 34t and maybe the Palazzo 33.2 both have 26k GVWR. This is more about the HP than the MH, but I welcome comments on both.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD
8 REPLIES 8

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Assuming you had to go up a long hill at 35-40 instead of 55, how much time do you think it would cost you? It's not an issue for the engine or the coach but rather only an issue for the driver. Enjoy the drive and enjoy the fact that you are able to take the drive. Life is short! The speed up the hill should be very, very low on your issues list.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
I think a lot of the issue is "owner expectation". If it bothers you to slow down on grades, you will "need" a larger engine.

If you can live with lesser performance it will absolutely get you anywhere you want to go.

We sold our 1993 Foretravel with 170,000 miles. 250 HP and went everywhere. Last coach with 400 HP-- same thing, but lost less speed on grades. Both were fine vehicles.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
My last coach had the 6.7 (340) behind a Allison 2500. The coach was 39' and I towed 4,700 lbs. Crossed the country a couple of times with no issues and plenty of power. I think the ISB is a fine motor and would have no issue with owning another.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
We have the 340 hp Cummins 6.7 liter engine and have been VERY happy with it. The 2000 series transmission may not have the capacity of the 3000 one, but we have had no trouble towing a 2800 lb. car over 48000 miles. And in addition it is the smoothest Allison transmission I have ever had. An Allison tech told me that it is not just because it is newer, but they actually are smoother shifting.

Regarding power, what I have learned is that this engine holds it max torque to over 2700 rpm, so it is governed at that rpm instead of the typical 2200-2400 rpm. This means that I can climb a hill at speeds up to 60 mph in 4th gear. Because of this I have found that I can climb mountains as well or better than our last motorhome with the 9 liter, 400 hp CAT engine in it.

In summary, we are VERY pleased with that engine and transmission.

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
I went and test drove 300hp Palazzo today and I was a little surprised how well it went up I-70 from golden to evergreen it was slow at times it hit about 55MPH most the time on the grades but better than a gas engine screaming at 4500 RPM and loud.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will not have any issues getting up and down the Rockies with that engine. You also have normal R&M issues that you would have with any similar diesel but that thing will get you there and get you back again. What more do you need?
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Yup . . . Anything with the Allison 3000 series transmission will be a better choice.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m not a fan of that rating because itโ€™s paired to the 2xxx series Allison. And the transmission is the reason for the rating. Itโ€™s maxed out and canโ€™t even handle the peak HP or torque from the 6.7. And itโ€™s reduced even lower in top gears and low gears.

Something with the 360 hp rated engine will have the 3000 series tranny and deliver full power in every gear.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...