cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New truck batteries

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
My 2014 Ram 3500 Cummins is starting a little slower now days and I know it's time to replace the original batteries. I have been using Walmart batteries for years and have had fairly good results. I decided to check at Sam's to see what they have and the Duracell brand is what they carry. After some reading it seems they have a good rating and I can get the AMG version for only a little more than the flooded cell. I am not looking to put Optima's or any super high dollar batteries in. Are any of you running the Duracell and if so what do you think about it?
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
56 REPLIES 56

Travel_glampers
Explorer
Explorer
I stopped using the Walmart batteries, and went to the Duracell one's from SAM'S. They are holding up better/good price. Sam's covers warranties and returns well also. I will stick with them for now.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good call on new batteries as you were on borrowed time!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
OP here and I did go ahead and buy 2 of the Duracell AGM batteries from Sam's. I believe this was a good choice based on all the comments. I know the truck spins over a lot faster than it had been. Thank you to all those who replied and especially Big Toe. I found this post to be very informative.
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:
SweetLou wrote:
SweetLou wrote:
blofgren wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Truck is assembled in Mexico of mostly US Made components.

Not thrilled about it being assembled there but the other alternative is a Mexican made engine.

Oh, is GM not making diesel engines any longer? I thought there was a third choice....:h :W

What does choices mean?
Worthly of being chosen or preferred; select; superior; precious; valuable."My choicest hours of life are lost." [ Swift.]
Preserving or using with care, as valuable; frugal; -- used with of; as, to be choice of time, or of money.
Selected with care, and due attention to preference; deliberately chosen." Choice word measured phrase." [ Wordsworth.]
Does not apply here
Just what it states. I won't make the choice you offered and for the reasons why

:h It's been a long time since I've been corrected in English class.....is "option" up to par, Professor? :R

Mr. Blow, Choice is the word of the day
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

BigToe
Explorer
Explorer
Retired JSO wrote:
Most every automotive batteries from the US are made by either Johnson Controls or Exide Technologies. Interstate and DieHard are made by Johnson as is Optima.

No summary about batteries could be more popular.

No summary about batteries could be further from the truth.

Let's update this summary into today's reality:

"Most every automotive batteries (sic) from the US are made either by Johnson Controls or Exide Technologies."

1. Johnson Controls doesn't make any automotive batteries any longer period. None. Zero. Zilch. As stated earlier in this thread, Clarios owns most of the battery manufacturing businesses formerly associated with Johnson Controls.

2. When Johnson Controls did make batteries, they were not "from the US", as the majority of Johnson Control manufactured batteries were made in Mexico and other countries overseas, not in the USA.

3. East Penn Manufacturing, a stand alone company not associated with Clarios, Johnson Controls, or Exide, is arguably the largest automotive battery manufacturer producing batteries within the United States.

- East Penn manufactures the Duracell branded automotive batteries found in Sam's Club, including the AGM type of battery referred to in this thread.

- East Penn also manufactures the CAT branded batteries referred to in this thread.

- East Penn also manufactures the PACCAR branded batteries referred to in this thread.

- East Penn also manufactures the TRP branded batteries, that were not mentioned in this thread, but TRP is the battery brand tradename for batteries sold in PACCAR (Peterbilt and Kenworth) dealerships

- East Penn also manufactures the Sears Die Hard Gold Platinum AGM batteries... not Johnson Controls as stated in the quote above, and never Johnson Controls, even when Johnson Controls was in the battery making business.

4. And speaking of Die Hard batteries, East Penn is not the only MAJOR automotive battery manufacturer that is actually "from the US". There is also EnerSys, which manufactured the Sears Die Hard Platinum AGM battery, before that product was discontinued.

- EnerSys manufactures the Odyssey brand of AGM batteries

- EnerSys manufacturers the Hawker brand of AGM batteries

- EnerSys recently acquired Northstar Batteries, which was started by 4 former employees of EnerSys/Hawker, so EnerSys now can be said to manufacture Northstar AGM batteries, as well as all the brands that Northstar private labeled, such as the X2Power brand of batteries.

5. There are not just two or three battery manufacturers that make all the batteries available for purchase in the US.

6. The battery business is constantly changing... with companies being bought and sold and parceled out into pieces and recombined into different alliances.

7. A brand name of battery can have multiple sources of manufacturing.

- The Sears Die Hard brand of batteries is one example. Not only does Sears not manufacture any batteries, Sears contracts with different battery manufacturers to produce batteries under the Die Hard brand name (but generally with a different model / color designation.

- The Interstate brand of batteries is similar. Interstate has never manufactured a battery, but Interstate does contract with different manufacturers to produce batteries under the Interstate brand name (but often with different model designations). For example, one Interstate MT7 was manufactured by EnerSys, but most other Interstate batteries are made by other battery manufacturers, such as Clarios.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"If they re-branded the 3rd CHOICE and said it was made by "AMZ/OIL", he'd want one then!"

True story!

Fixed it for ya.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
blofgren wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Not thrilled about it being assembled there but the other alternative is a Mexican made engine.

Oh, is GM not making diesel engines any longer? I thought there was a third choice....:h :W

No thanks!

If they re-branded the 3rd CHOICE and said it was made by Amsoil, he'd want one then!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And it also means
"an act of selecting or making a decision when faced with two or more possibilities"

Jus sayin...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
SweetLou wrote:
SweetLou wrote:
blofgren wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

What does choices mean?
Worthly of being chosen or preferred; select; superior; precious; valuable."My choicest hours of life are lost." [ Swift.]
Preserving or using with care, as valuable; frugal; -- used with of; as, to be choice of time, or of money.
Selected with care, and due attention to preference; deliberately chosen." Choice word measured phrase." [ Wordsworth.]
Does not apply here
Just what it states. I won't make the choice you offered and for the reasons why

:h It's been a long time since I've been corrected in English class.....is "option" up to par, Professor? :R
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check a Kenworth dealer or Pacar, they run some real good specials on batteries at times.

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
SweetLou wrote:
blofgren wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

What does choices mean?
Does not apply here
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

What does choices mean?
Does not apply here
We love our Westie

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
blofgren wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

No thanks!

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes