Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: New truck batteries
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> New truck batteries

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
DustyR

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/20 06:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The last go around on batteries I went with AGMs from AutoZone. The thing is a lot of my driving is short trip and they recover quickly. Time will tell.

Coachmen Denali 270FK 32 Ft.
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/20 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not due for batteries on the 2016 yet, but when the 2001 needed batteries I chose to get from the local Ram dealer OEM as many were reporting getting 7+ years out of them. I will see when the current OEM's start to fail. I replaced the batteries 9/29/2012 at 253,050 miles, I sold it 6/30/2019 at 315,000 miles. During the last six months the truck would set for a month between starts, fired up every time.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Odyssey is not a standalone mfg of batteries. They’re made by EnerSys who produces many different “brands” just like the other mfgs.
That said, I don’t usually believe the “hype” about batteries, as I’ve had conflicting experiences with several brands. And had “bad” batteries that were used regularly or maintained properly and “good” batteries that were neglected.
I have found the couple sets of Odysseys I’ve had to be exceptional though. Have a mismatched date set of odyssey’s in the Dodge diesel that are now 11-12 years and 9-10 years old. And a “new” set in the boat that are going on 6 years this spring.

Also have a set of Duracell’s in the camper that are going on 4 years. To early to decide, but they didn’t die in 3 years anyway!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have been eyeing up the Exide batteries at Home Depot recently.
Prices are very reasonable compared to what I’ve seen at the auto parts chain stores.

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightsadie wrote:

X2 and wal mart are as good as any.

X3. Walmart brand in the wife's Traverse going strong for 5 years. Will definitely replace with same when the time comes

As I recall Walmart, Interstate and most auto store house brands are made by Johnson Controls.

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron3rd wrote:

midnightsadie wrote:

X2 and wal mart are as good as any.

X3. Walmart brand in the wife's Traverse going strong for 5 years. Will definitely replace with same when the time comes

As I recall Walmart, Interstate and most auto store house brands are made by Johnson Controls.

...and if not Johnson then Exide

JesLookin

Appleton,WI

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bob213 wrote:

Duracell are made by EastPenn Mfg. Same as a Dekka. Great batteries for the money.
Check Baterries Plus if you have one. Order online and pick up in store and save 10%. Sometimes makes them cheaper than Walmart or Sam's Club.

I would have never thought to get batteries for our '14 Ram from Baterries Plus, but called them on a whim and ended up with the best deal and they installed them for free.

2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just put in two new batteries from Costco - they're 850CCA Interstates @ $99.95 each.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

jdc1

Riverside, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 09:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Arcamper wrote:

My 2014 Ram 3500 Cummins is starting a little slower now days and I know it's time to replace the original batteries. I have been using Walmart batteries for years and have had fairly good results. I decided to check at Sam's to see what they have and the Duracell brand is what they carry. After some reading it seems they have a good rating and I can get the AMG version for only a little more than the flooded cell. I am not looking to put Optima's or any super high dollar batteries in. Are any of you running the Duracell and if so what do you think about it?

There are WalMart's, Sam's Club's and Costco's everywhere. They are the easiest to deal with when it comes to batteries.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/20 12:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

There are WalMart's, Sam's Club's and Costco's everywhere. They are the easiest to deal with when it comes to batteries.

Be careful buying at those places, I went to Sam's Club and found batteries more than a year old. Learn about date codes.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> New truck batteries
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.