cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof Vent Security

pfast
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All - we are taking our Lance Camper down the Panamerican highway for a year. The roof vent is the only opening (besides the door) that is big enough to fit a person through, and I'm concerned that the manual crank/vent cover isn't secure enough. Has anyone else seen any off the shelf or custom solutions to this? Ideally a stronger vent cover that I could lock off from the inside. Or perhaps security grilled on the inside? I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Paul
31 REPLIES 31

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
yes, be concerned seems like Canadians can go anywhere in South America I talked to a couple that made it back to Texas, minus truck and camper all they had was the clothes on their back
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low

johnadam55
Explorer
Explorer
Nice

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Locks keep honest people honest, a thief wants in he will get in. Kick door, pry doors, break windows, see them go through wall to get in a commercial building. Ever see videos of thief's falling trough ceilings?
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
The only issue that I have heard about with a 12x12 roof vent, is when a black bear in a Montana CG choose that as his method of access into a truck camper. The opening was enlarged enough for access, and the TC was trashed and remained derelict in the CG.

Don't leave smoked salmon exposed on the kitchen counter?

That's funny as long as it wasn't mine.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

ghooos
Explorer
Explorer
What area are you in? https://areacodes.net/678 Read there about the closest points where you go for a consultation. I doubt if you will be able to fix it by yourself. You will need someone who knows all the nuances of these exits. Do not try to repair it yourself as you may damage it even more. Let us know what have you finally decided to do and what solution you have found to your issue.

Boondocking2019
Explorer
Explorer
$2,000 dollar repair bill for our 5th Wheel Entrance Door. They used a crowbar and though the damage was extensive to the door and the frame the perps gave up and went to the next RV in the storage bay where they were successful in getting inside. We have several Keys hidden in the Truck, under the truck frame. Not having a Key wonโ€™t be my worry.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Theft prevention is whole psychological issue.
Most of the break-ins are done by homeless people. I heard that some homeowners in high-break in areas put couple of dollar bills on the countertop and most of the burglars grab this and don't look any farther.
Than putting size 12 work boots at back door turns out as pretty good theft prevention.

Bedlam
The problem with campers is the strength of the doors and frames. You can easily get in with a claw hammer and if the door were to be secured heavily, that same hammer could be used on a window.

I am looking at buying a second home that is more remote and this is my biggest worry until I can move there full time.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
You still need vents and emergency exit on armored truck conversion. :h

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Emergency hatches are much larger than 12x12.

Regardless, a thief is not going to draw attention to themselves by climbing up on top of the camper like a baboon to gain entry. They're going to pop the latch on the back door, clean and quiet, while looking like they belong there.

Unless, of course, you've set up your camper door like a Brinks armored truck. Then they KNOW something valuable is in there, and it will just make them more determined.

If you're that paranoid about "home invasion" perhaps you should consider getting a Brinks truck and outfitting it as a camper.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
pfast wrote:
Fair enough, I may be overthinking it. Determined thiefโ€™s will always find a way in. That vent (yes itโ€™s the 12x12 emergency exit) just looks way too easy/inviting and I donโ€™t want to tempt a guy that might otherwise not bother. Flat bar across the opening is probably a good, easy way to go. Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't see how a 12x12 vent could even be considered an emergency exit . Who could fit through one , except maybe a child .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
best deterrent is large barking dogs inside the camper.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bingo, normal โ€œhome securityโ€ stuff like a deadbolt or locking your operable windows just means a burglar is going to cause more damage gaining access.

There is a placebo effect, that Iโ€™ve personally never had, about locking everything up good and tight, but while Iโ€™m not a burglar or car thief, I know how quickly I can get into most vehicles or houses and Iโ€™m an amateur!
Do the normal stuff to prevent the looky loos or low risk opportunity folks and carry a sidearm and insurance for the rest.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
I moved into a new house and I changed the locks. While he was here I asked the locksmith if he thought it would be a good idea to install a deadbolt. He said he would be happy to install one, but that if a thief wants to get in he'd just break the window next to the door.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV