Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Roof Vent Security
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Roof Vent Security

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
pfast

Vancouver Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All - we are taking our Lance Camper down the Panamerican highway for a year. The roof vent is the only opening (besides the door) that is big enough to fit a person through, and I'm concerned that the manual crank/vent cover isn't secure enough. Has anyone else seen any off the shelf or custom solutions to this? Ideally a stronger vent cover that I could lock off from the inside. Or perhaps security grilled on the inside? I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Paul

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you talking about 12"x12" roof vent, or skylight/security exit Lance installs on some models?
I have the 2nd and actually like the idea that in case of lost key I can get inside in 2 minutes with help of screwdriver.
Camper with security? Dream on.

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/20 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’d rather have a determined theft enter through the vent than pry the door open.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 06:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Are you talking about 12"x12" roof vent, or skylight/security exit Lance installs on some models?
I have the 2nd and actually like the idea that in case of lost key I can get inside in 2 minutes with help of screwdriver.
Camper with security? Dream on.

A cordless angle grinder negates RV security.

rdhetrick

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/20 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

A cordless angle grinder negates RV security.

This..."RV" and "security" don't belong in the same sentance! Why would someone go through the effort to climb up onto the roof when they could pop the door open with a prybar or bust a window?

Rob
2006 Mandalay 40E Full Time
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Pangaea Ron

Anacortes, WA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 08:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only issue that I have heard about with a 12x12 roof vent, is when a black bear in a Montana CG choose that as his method of access into a truck camper. The opening was enlarged enough for access, and the TC was trashed and remained derelict in the CG.

Don't leave smoked salmon exposed on the kitchen counter?

2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you are overthinking things...but just screw some metal bars on the underside of the opening. Even 1 or 2 would make it so a person couldn't get in.

Even one of the vent covers, so you can leave it open in the rain would make it appear as if it's not a viable entrance. If they are willing to start tearing that apart, they likely would just take a small crowbar to the door.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree about the overthinking. The point of your escape hatch is to be able to escape in case of a fire. If you that worried about going to the place, I’d find somewhere else to go.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/20 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You're worrying about nothing. Just gotta jimmy your cheap door and they're in quick. Whole lots less effort.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

pfast

Vancouver Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 11:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fair enough, I may be overthinking it. Determined thief’s will always find a way in. That vent (yes it’s the 12x12 emergency exit) just looks way too easy/inviting and I don’t want to tempt a guy that might otherwise not bother. Flat bar across the opening is probably a good, easy way to go. Thanks for the suggestions.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Roof Vent Security
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.