Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Roof Vent Security
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Roof Vent Security

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 12:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

A cordless angle grinder negates RV security.

In my construction experience I had to enter house with lost keys few times. Usually I could get inside without doing any damage in about 20 minutes.
Than had few jobs when determined person enter locked house in 2 seconds.
The $7 dead bolts with short screw on the latch plate will give you that, or less. Long screws will add 10 seconds.
On new house couple years ago I was thinking about importing real locks from Europe, but then house has alarm system, who I signed monitoring with company having security patrols and that is the only security that will work (with 1 hr delay).

jake2250

Comifornia

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 12:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Max Air roof vent cover. They would have to remove that before entering. Not saying it can't be done,, But it covers the roof vent and would take a few extra minutes to remove it.

If you are away from the camper, a longer throw dead bolt would help.

MikeJinCO

Salida, CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been traveling down thru Mexico for most of the past 15 winters. The only break in we have ever had was in the San Juan mountains in Colorado. A bad guy wouldn't even know there are holes in the roof. There are few traveling campers down there these days and you're more likely to mistaken for a bus when traveling than recognized as an RV. We have been to Belize and Guatemala, but always had a dog and they can be difficult and expensive to get into countries south of Mexico.

If you have a diesel, don't expect to find any ULSD or the DEF fluid south of Mexico. Mexico now claims to have ULSD, but you never know, our truck is a 2006, non ULSD.

For information find an old and out of date Church's Guide to Mexico, it and ioverlander.com are the best information out there. Dumping the black tank can get tough particularly south of Mexico consider swapping out the toilet for a cassette toilet which can be dumped at any gas station. For maps, there is a Guia Roji highway map of Mexico, probably available on Amazon. For GPS maps check out openstreet maps.

Most overland travelers stop at Overlander Oasis a small campground at Tule just east of Oaxaca. That is the best place for information further south and many of the people are from Europe but speak English.

edbehnke

North America (from Michigan)

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

it is what it is. if they want to get in they will.

just enjoy the trip and use common sense.

eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

pfast

Vancouver Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey MikeJinCO that's helpful information, thanks! I bought my diesel in 2005 specifically because of the ULSD concerns, so we should be ok. Didn't want to be reliant on it either.

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/20 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn’t worry to much about them getting into your TC through the roof. I’d me more concerned about them taking the whole thing. Quicker, quieter, more valuable.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

Photomike

Southern Alberta or where the camper is parked!

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You realize that this is an emergency exit? Screwing bars across it is going in the opposite direction of what it is designed for. Even one bar and by the time you find a screw driver in a fire you are dead. And if you think you can pull it off if there is a fire then it won't be strong enough to stop someone then.

Also, why would someone climb up on top of a camper to try and break in??? They don't know if the hatch is big enough to fit through. You have windows lower down and a door that would be easier and faster.

If you are set on doing something then I would suggest making a hinged set of bars that can be locked in the closed position to stop an intruder. Then unlocked when you are in the camper and swung out of the way and attached in the open position to the ceiling. That way you won't be found dead looking for a way out.

2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If they want in bad enough to climb up on the roof, and break thru the vent. Doors aren't going to stop them.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I moved into a new house and I changed the locks. While he was here I asked the locksmith if he thought it would be a good idea to install a deadbolt. He said he would be happy to install one, but that if a thief wants to get in he'd just break the window next to the door.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bingo, normal “home security” stuff like a deadbolt or locking your operable windows just means a burglar is going to cause more damage gaining access.

There is a placebo effect, that I’ve personally never had, about locking everything up good and tight, but while I’m not a burglar or car thief, I know how quickly I can get into most vehicles or houses and I’m an amateur!
Do the normal stuff to prevent the looky loos or low risk opportunity folks and carry a sidearm and insurance for the rest.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Roof Vent Security
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.