cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding USB and 12v outets to my 2 RVs

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I have a lot of photo equipment and other things that need charged when I'm out adventuring.

In my truck camper I switched things around part way through the project and ended up with a 12v battery monitor up near the control panel, and 12v / USB down below.

Here's how I did it in the truck camper.

In my Nash 17k, I connected the 12v and USB to the stereo power lead, which is right next to where I mounted them.

12v and USB in my Nash 17k
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator
19 REPLIES 19

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
philh wrote:

Click For Full-Size Image.

The bottom port is 2.1 amps, the top port is only 1 amp. Or so the label on it says.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I have a few of these in my trailer. Two 2.1A charge slots and best of all no LED.

Link
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Ive got a dual 2.4a output. Does the 9v fast charge using micro usb.
If buying new i would just buy 3.0a. Cost the same from what i saw a month ago when i bought (2) of the dual 3.0a.

I think the 2 pack was actually cheaper. Could go find it if anyone is interested. Was an amazon order.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
But, it would be nice if a 2 port device had 2.4 amps on both ports at the same time. Another thread had a "2.4 amp" device with 2 ports, but it was "2.4 amps (one port)." If using both ports, it was 1.2 amps per port The micro USB can do 2.4 amps.
Bobbo and Lin

MrWizard
That's still the limit if your device uses a micro usb charge/data port
The 3amp 15w is the new type 'C' usb port
Only my year old Lenovo tablet from last Dec 2019, uses a 'C' charge data port
Every other device is micro usb cords
I wouldn't worry about usb sockets not being the new 3 amp version, unless I had several devices with type C charge ports and used fast charge often
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Friendly heads up dont buy anything 2.4a.
It's a little outdated here in 12/20.

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
SJ-Chris wrote:
Very easy solution:

I installed these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZQJPJMB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you put them within ~6-10 inches from your under-cabinet dome lights (if you have those), you can tap off the dome light wiring.

With the correct sized drill bit, it is a 10 minute job! I have a Majestic 28a and I added them to above the couch, above the dinette, and above the bed in the rear.

Good luck!
-Chris

When it says "2.4 amps (one port)" does that mean that if you are using both ports at the same time you only get 1.2 amps per port? There are other brands that will do 2.4 amps on both ports at the same time. For example: https://www.amazon.com/Voltmeter-SunnyTrip-Waterproof-Replacement-Motorcycle/dp/B08FBY351F/ref=sr_1_...

I did install that type once before. That's when I learned there was a problem with them... They are TOO TALL/DEEP. They won't fit in the spacing in most cabinet undersides.

To answer your question, yes I think the one I use is 2.4amp total. But my experience is that it actually produces a strong charge and hasn't been an issue. As a reference, I have a cigarette lighter charger on my dashboard that actually shows the amps as it is charging and most of the time it bounces around between 1-1.5amps when charging and it always seems to do a decent job.

Good luck!
Chris
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I sold the Nash17k and bought a bigger TT to replace it, so of course I had to upgrade it with more USB ports too:

Here's how I did it this time

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
coolmom42 wrote:
How does one go about locating, accessing, and identifying the wiring to something like the stereo?

Pull the stereo out of the cabinet. That's what I did.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
SJ-Chris wrote:
Very easy solution:

I installed these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZQJPJMB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you put them within ~6-10 inches from your under-cabinet dome lights (if you have those), you can tap off the dome light wiring.

With the correct sized drill bit, it is a 10 minute job! I have a Majestic 28a and I added them to above the couch, above the dinette, and above the bed in the rear.

Good luck!
-Chris

When it says "2.4 amps (one port)" does that mean that if you are using both ports at the same time you only get 1.2 amps per port? There are other brands that will do 2.4 amps on both ports at the same time. For example: https://www.amazon.com/Voltmeter-SunnyTrip-Waterproof-Replacement-Motorcycle/dp/B08FBY351F/ref=sr_1_...
Bobbo and Lin

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
Very easy solution:

I installed these:

Good luck!
-Chris
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess we all have different needs. What I seem to use the most are 12 v charging ports. Adding a single one over by the sink would not be at all ideal for my needs. Instead I added 3 ports on the side of the dinette were my wife usually sits and another 3 on my side of the dinette. With 6 additional ports we can use car chargers for running our laptops, charging cellphones, charging camera batteries, etc. When necessary I plug in a small inverter for charging batteries where I have not found a 12 v alternative to 110 charging. The small inverter also has a couple of USB ports but I don't think I have ever used one.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I put this in a couple years ago.

I used this fixture, which connects to any 12vdc source.
12v USB wall fixture

They also have one for 110vac source. Surprisingly the one with a built-in transformer is less $.
110vac USB wall fixture

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver