cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rearview camera hardwired on fifth wheel

roachcoach
Explorer
Explorer
I'm installing a rearview camera on my fifth wheel and looking for ideas on the best way to run the wiring. My fifth wheel is 40'and had a wireless camera that was problematic.
Richard & Rachel
2006 Damon Astoria Diesel Pusher
2004 Jeep Liberty
10 REPLIES 10

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
BillB3857 wrote:
We bought a used 5th wheel that had 3 cameras. One rear view mounted on the outside above the full width rear window and the other two are side view mounted about shoulder high forward of the cross-over storage doors. Wiring for the rear camera is run across the roof being held down with Dicor, then enters the corner molding and hides behind the vinyl strip. From there, it follows the frame to the front where it goes into the front storage compartment. The other two cameras are mounted far enough forward that the wires go directly into the front storage compartment. From there, they are bundled and zip tied to the 7-way cable. On the truck, I drilled through the side of the bed near the 7-way connector and mounted three fittings that would mate with the cables. Inside the truck, i mounted a small 5" display and a switch that would allow me to select any of the three cameras. One thing to watch out for is that the camera actually sends a reversed image so that what you see is the same as you would see in the rear view mirror. Otherwise, it really messes up your brain.

Had a friend who did this on his Newmar Kountry Aire. Had a 7" or 10" dedicated monitor for them in the cab of his Sport Chassis Freightliner. Could switch between 1, 2 or 3-way split or isolate any one cam. Side cams were in really nice little aero pods and painted to match; almost unnoticeable. All were hardwired into a single plug that plugged into a socket on his truck.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

BillB3857
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a used 5th wheel that had 3 cameras. One rear view mounted on the outside above the full width rear window and the other two are side view mounted about shoulder high forward of the cross-over storage doors. Wiring for the rear camera is run across the roof being held down with Dicor, then enters the corner molding and hides behind the vinyl strip. From there, it follows the frame to the front where it goes into the front storage compartment. The other two cameras are mounted far enough forward that the wires go directly into the front storage compartment. From there, they are bundled and zip tied to the 7-way cable. On the truck, I drilled through the side of the bed near the 7-way connector and mounted three fittings that would mate with the cables. Inside the truck, i mounted a small 5" display and a switch that would allow me to select any of the three cameras. One thing to watch out for is that the camera actually sends a reversed image so that what you see is the same as you would see in the rear view mirror. Otherwise, it really messes up your brain.
2004 Silverado LB7 D/A CC LB DRW 4x4, Firestone RideRites, Air Lift Compressor, Line-X Bed Liner, Retrax Bed Cover, Backup Cam, Pullrite Super 5th Hitch, Rear View Cam
AstroStart 2205A Remote Start
2014 Keystone Outback 5th Wheel
Trail-Air Pin Box

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a hardwire setup on my previous travel trailer.

Details here: http://www.2manytoyz.com/backupcam.html

In a vehicle that didn't have a backup monitor, I added an aftermarket clip-on mirror/monitor.

What you're seeing in the mirror is actually the video feed from behind the travel trailer.

I also tried a dedicated monitor on the center console:

But the monitor on the mirror was much easier to use while driving.

When I traded in that tow vehicle for an F150, it had a monitor in the mirror, albeit very small, it did work. Same idea, the image is behind the trailer.

I modified the tailgate camera connector on my truck. I can now disconnect the stock camera, and plug in the trailer camera. I found the wiring diagram on an F150 forum. Pic of it here: http://2manytoyz.com/xterra/camera/f150cameramod3.jpg
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Not to hijack, but has anyone installed a =dashcam= on their rig as a backup cam? Alternatively, do the "usual" backup cam systems have any way to store video or images?

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
roachcoach wrote:
I'm installing a rearview camera on my fifth wheel and looking for ideas on the best way to run the wiring. My fifth wheel is 40'and had a wireless camera that was problematic.

Most problematic wireless cameras are a result of supplying low voltage to the camera via the running lights. We had a wireless camera on a 39'4" 5th will powered from a sconce light on the back wall. It worked great. Moved it to our bumper pull and it still works great. It is the better observation model not the back up model.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same problem on my 40' Cedar Creek.

Moved the antenna to the front cap.

No way was I going to a hard wired camera.

Ran the cable to the back attaching to to A/C's and vents.

In between used White silicone to attach to roof.

Cable has not moved since Summer of 2014

Picture doesn't skip a beat.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
My camera for the Garmin 760 is mounted on rear bumper then I ran wire under frame using the the-wraps with the screw mounting hole. Used the coroplast screws to fasten with. Mounted wireless transmitter on front wall going thru propane compartment. I mounted a switch next to my 6pt controller & picked up 12volts from a compartment light. I just power it on/off when I raise lower legs.

neal10a
Explorer
Explorer
roachcoach wrote:
Youtube has many videos showing how to install https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ford+trailer+camera+and+tpms+kit

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
I mounted my camera on a rung of the back ladder with hose clamps then ran the wires down and under my 5th wheel zip tied all the way up to the front. From there I ran the wire into my front compartment and out and up to my pin box where I had another wire from my truck's rear door (I had a cig plug power and ran it under the floor mats then shut the rear door on the wire) to my pin box where the wires plugged into each other. I had one wire that was an extension and everything plugged in easy. When I stop I just unplug one wire, roll it up and place it under the rear floormat of my truck; then reverse when I'm ready to hit the road. Everything including camera and monitor cost me $60 and works great. PM me if you want details on the purchase.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
I would look for ways to run it inside under cabinets, etc. If that doesn't work with your layout, I would run it right beside the support beam that runs front to back. Encase it in a piece of PEX tubing (water line) to keep it out of the rain, mud, snow, salt, etc. that you are likely to encounter. If it is within the tubing, it will be easier to zip-tie to other components that are underneath the trailer. I would have another connection at the front to tie in to the wiring from the truck.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW