cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Phoenix to Toronto, May 2020

teejaywhy
Explorer
Explorer
Long way off, but looking for feedback on routes for this journey. Due to schedule, we have to bomb it on the most direct route to Toronto, then we can take our time to meander our way home.

Leaving Phoenix May 24th.

PHX to STL pretty standard I-40 / I-44.

Of the suggested routes, I'm thinking to avoid both the Chicago and Detroit metro area by taking I-70 to Indianapolis, then north on I-69 and entering Canada at Port Huron.

Then CA-402/401 to Toronto.

Comments? Suggestions?
THANKS IN ADVANCE
The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, Duramax LBZ
2019 Nash 23D
14 REPLIES 14

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
teejaywhy wrote:
Long way off, but looking for feedback on routes for this journey. Due to schedule, we have to bomb it on the most direct route to Toronto, then we can take our time to meander our way home.

Comments? Suggestions?
THANKS IN ADVANCE

I think youโ€™re going to find the border closed tight unless you have a reallllllly good reason for needing to cross. Even then you need to call the crossing point you intend to use and verify with staff there that you will indeed be allowed across the border.

Prolly wouldn't hurt to read the OP's update.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
teejaywhy wrote:

Comments? Suggestions?
THANKS IN ADVANCE

I think youโ€™re going to find the border closed tight unless you have a reallllllly good reason for needing to cross. Even then you need to call the crossing point you intend to use and verify with staff there that you will indeed be allowed across the border.

teejaywhy
Explorer
Explorer
A little late with an update, but as you might have expected, the event for which we were traveling to Toronto, was cancelled. Or "postponed" to some yet-to-be-determined fall date.

Disappointed, but at the same time, a bit relieved because of the tight time constraint we were facing on the drive to. Hopefully, the reschedule allows us a more leisurely travel time.
The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2019 Nash 23D

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, we go through the area when we go east or west, it is usually bearable. There is a short toll section that is not worth avoiding.

Then again, you could catch I-70 at StL to I-69 in Indy, and stay with that to the bridge. You still have to deal with Indy and that is not usually terrible. Ft. Wayne and Flint are not usually any issue except at rush hour. Any urban area is not all that good. Even Lansing can be a bear on a Football Saturday.

If you do get near Detroit, plan 2 days (or three) for the Henry Ford, Greenfield Village and maybe the factory tour.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

teejaywhy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions!

@Matt_Colie: To pick up I-94 I would need to use I-55 or I-57 north from St. Louis which would seem to take me into the heart of Chicago-land. Is that your suggestion or am I missing something?

Detroit exploration will have to wait for another trip, but thanks for the offer. I would like to visit Greenfield Village someday.
The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2019 Nash 23D

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I like most of what is written here, but I will suggest you target to pick up I-94 and take that to where you can get I-69 (near Battle Creek) and take that to PH/Sarnia and the 402.

My one big caution is that you fuel before you leave the US. You may have to go down to the surface streets to find fuel (I don't know if the Duty Free at PH has this), but if you see the fuel prices in Canada....

If you come back close to Detroit, ask me for interesting stops.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
RoyF wrote:
Google Map's best route is I-40, I-44, I-70, I-69 to Fort Wayne, then through Detroit to Port Huron for crossing into Canada.

If it were me, in Michigan I would stay on I-69 all the way through Lansing and Flint to Port Huron, avoiding Detroit. (I try to avoid the congestion of large cities whenever possible.)

It is hard to avoid St. Louis, but there are good bypass routes using I-270. The southern bypass is slightly shorter than the northern. The direct route through St. Louis is two minutes shorter unless there is traffic congestion. (There is often a delay at the downtown Mississippi River bridge.)

You are the best judge on how to get from Phoenix up to I-40.

We have used this route many times going to Texas. I live near Hamilton and would avoid crossing at Niagara Falls or Buffalo. The traffic congestion through to Toronto can be a nightmare.
As mentioned above, the 401 will get busy the closer you get to Toronto but there is no traffic free way to get there. Choose your time - Sundays are not too bad - especially early in the day.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
goggle has a route that looks good. 33 hours. It does go through Detroit but that traffic is workable if you go through it on the off hours.

Detroit is nothing like Chicago....I am from Michigan.
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Port Huron is the easiest crossing. The 402 is an easy drive with mostly light traffic. From there the 401 eastbound is usually ok with slow downs at hwy7 at Kitchener and then traffic get congested approaching Milton. The QEW route from Niagara to Toronto can be a traffic nightmare more often than not, especially through Hamilton and Burlington.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
I would agree with I70-I69 to Port Huron/Sarnia border crossing and then 402-401 to Toronto.
402 and 401 are virtually the same as any U.S. interstate highway. Once you get with a 30 mile radius of Toronto, highways are like any big city highway, busy and crowded about 20 hours a day.

Agree. Have crossed at Port Huron/Sarnia the last two times into Ontario to near Hamilton. No problem and little delay at border.

teejaywhy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies.

@romore: You think thru Cleveland/Buffalo/Hamilton would be preferable?

We will likely pass by Niagara Falls on the way back home, stopping in Ohio to visit family.

THX
The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2019 Nash 23D

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
Google Map's best route is I-40, I-44, I-70, I-69 to Fort Wayne, then through Detroit to Port Huron for crossing into Canada.

If it were me, in Michigan I would stay on I-69 all the way through Lansing and Flint to Port Huron, avoiding Detroit. (I try to avoid the congestion of large cities whenever possible.)

It is hard to avoid St. Louis, but there are good bypass routes using I-270. The southern bypass is slightly shorter than the northern. The direct route through St. Louis is two minutes shorter unless there is traffic congestion. (There is often a delay at the downtown Mississippi River bridge.)

You are the best judge on how to get from Phoenix up to I-40.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
I would agree with I70-I69 to Port Huron/Sarnia border crossing and then 402-401 to Toronto.
402 and 401 are virtually the same as any U.S. interstate highway. Once you get with a 30 mile radius of Toronto, highways are like any big city highway, busy and crowded about 20 hours a day.
Going through Niagara, longer going around the east end of Lake Erie and you still get bad traffic on QEW highway.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Would you do better entering Canada at Niagara Falls? 401 is a gong show, I would spend as little time as possible on it.