Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Phoenix to Toronto, May 2020
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Phoenix to Toronto, May 2020

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
teejaywhy

Gilbert, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Long way off, but looking for feedback on routes for this journey. Due to schedule, we have to bomb it on the most direct route to Toronto, then we can take our time to meander our way home.

Leaving Phoenix May 24th.

PHX to STL pretty standard I-40 / I-44.

Of the suggested routes, I'm thinking to avoid both the Chicago and Detroit metro area by taking I-70 to Indianapolis, then north on I-69 and entering Canada at Port Huron.

Then CA-402/401 to Toronto.

Comments? Suggestions?
THANKS IN ADVANCE

The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, Duramax LBZ
2019 Nash 23D

romore

Okanagan valley British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would you do better entering Canada at Niagara Falls? 401 is a gong show, I would spend as little time as possible on it.

Beverley&Ken

Tottenham,Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would agree with I70-I69 to Port Huron/Sarnia border crossing and then 402-401 to Toronto.
402 and 401 are virtually the same as any U.S. interstate highway. Once you get with a 30 mile radius of Toronto, highways are like any big city highway, busy and crowded about 20 hours a day.
Going through Niagara, longer going around the east end of Lake Erie and you still get bad traffic on QEW highway.

Ken

2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

RoyF

Fayetteville Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/20 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Google Map's best route is I-40, I-44, I-70, I-69 to Fort Wayne, then through Detroit to Port Huron for crossing into Canada.

If it were me, in Michigan I would stay on I-69 all the way through Lansing and Flint to Port Huron, avoiding Detroit. (I try to avoid the congestion of large cities whenever possible.)

It is hard to avoid St. Louis, but there are good bypass routes using I-270. The southern bypass is slightly shorter than the northern. The direct route through St. Louis is two minutes shorter unless there is traffic congestion. (There is often a delay at the downtown Mississippi River bridge.)

You are the best judge on how to get from Phoenix up to I-40.

teejaywhy

Gilbert, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies.

@romore: You think thru Cleveland/Buffalo/Hamilton would be preferable?

We will likely pass by Niagara Falls on the way back home, stopping in Ohio to visit family.

THX

padredw

East Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/20 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I would agree with I70-I69 to Port Huron/Sarnia border crossing and then 402-401 to Toronto.
402 and 401 are virtually the same as any U.S. interstate highway. Once you get with a 30 mile radius of Toronto, highways are like any big city highway, busy and crowded about 20 hours a day.

Agree. Have crossed at Port Huron/Sarnia the last two times into Ontario to near Hamilton. No problem and little delay at border.

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Port Huron is the easiest crossing. The 402 is an easy drive with mostly light traffic. From there the 401 eastbound is usually ok with slow downs at hwy7 at Kitchener and then traffic get congested approaching Milton. The QEW route from Niagara to Toronto can be a traffic nightmare more often than not, especially through Hamilton and Burlington.

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

edbehnke

North America (from Michigan)

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/20 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goggle has a route that looks good. 33 hours. It does go through Detroit but that traffic is workable if you go through it on the off hours.

Detroit is nothing like Chicago....I am from Michigan.

eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

Tripalot

Golden Horseshoe, Ont. Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/20 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyF wrote:

Google Map's best route is I-40, I-44, I-70, I-69 to Fort Wayne, then through Detroit to Port Huron for crossing into Canada.

If it were me, in Michigan I would stay on I-69 all the way through Lansing and Flint to Port Huron, avoiding Detroit. (I try to avoid the congestion of large cities whenever possible.)

It is hard to avoid St. Louis, but there are good bypass routes using I-270. The southern bypass is slightly shorter than the northern. The direct route through St. Louis is two minutes shorter unless there is traffic congestion. (There is often a delay at the downtown Mississippi River bridge.)

You are the best judge on how to get from Phoenix up to I-40.

We have used this route many times going to Texas. I live near Hamilton and would avoid crossing at Niagara Falls or Buffalo. The traffic congestion through to Toronto can be a nightmare.
As mentioned above, the 401 will get busy the closer you get to Toronto but there is no traffic free way to get there. Choose your time - Sundays are not too bad - especially early in the day.

2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/20 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like most of what is written here, but I will suggest you target to pick up I-94 and take that to where you can get I-69 (near Battle Creek) and take that to PH/Sarnia and the 402.

My one big caution is that you fuel before you leave the US. You may have to go down to the surface streets to find fuel (I don't know if the Duty Free at PH has this), but if you see the fuel prices in Canada....

If you come back close to Detroit, ask me for interesting stops.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Phoenix to Toronto, May 2020
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.