Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Phoenix to Toronto, May 2020
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Phoenix to Toronto, May 2020

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
teejaywhy

Gilbert, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the suggestions!

@Matt_Colie: To pick up I-94 I would need to use I-55 or I-57 north from St. Louis which would seem to take me into the heart of Chicago-land. Is that your suggestion or am I missing something?

Detroit exploration will have to wait for another trip, but thanks for the offer. I would like to visit Greenfield Village someday.

The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, Duramax LBZ
2019 Nash 23D

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, we go through the area when we go east or west, it is usually bearable. There is a short toll section that is not worth avoiding.

Then again, you could catch I-70 at StL to I-69 in Indy, and stay with that to the bridge. You still have to deal with Indy and that is not usually terrible. Ft. Wayne and Flint are not usually any issue except at rush hour. Any urban area is not all that good. Even Lansing can be a bear on a Football Saturday.

If you do get near Detroit, plan 2 days (or three) for the Henry Ford, Greenfield Village and maybe the factory tour.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

teejaywhy

Gilbert, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/20 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A little late with an update, but as you might have expected, the event for which we were traveling to Toronto, was cancelled. Or "postponed" to some yet-to-be-determined fall date.

Disappointed, but at the same time, a bit relieved because of the tight time constraint we were facing on the drive to. Hopefully, the reschedule allows us a more leisurely travel time.

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/20 05:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

teejaywhy wrote:

Long way off, but looking for feedback on routes for this journey. Due to schedule, we have to bomb it on the most direct route to Toronto, then we can take our time to meander our way home.

Leaving Phoenix May 24th.

Comments? Suggestions?
THANKS IN ADVANCE

I think you’re going to find the border closed tight unless you have a reallllllly good reason for needing to cross. Even then you need to call the crossing point you intend to use and verify with staff there that you will indeed be allowed across the border.

SpeakEasy

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/20 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

teejaywhy wrote:

Long way off, but looking for feedback on routes for this journey. Due to schedule, we have to bomb it on the most direct route to Toronto, then we can take our time to meander our way home.

Leaving Phoenix May 24th.

Comments? Suggestions?
THANKS IN ADVANCE

I think you’re going to find the border closed tight unless you have a reallllllly good reason for needing to cross. Even then you need to call the crossing point you intend to use and verify with staff there that you will indeed be allowed across the border.

Prolly wouldn't hurt to read the OP's update.

-Speak

It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Phoenix to Toronto, May 2020
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.