Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Need help replacing charging circuit solenoid.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Need help replacing charging circuit solenoid.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
maillemaker

office

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/20 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know. I have already ordered a replacement solenoid. It is suspect to me already because when the engine battery was down to 11.6V, and I pressed MOM to gang in the house batteries, the voltage did not change, or change much.

I've got to do some diagnosing on the charging system. But for now it seems fine.

Steve

1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

No, the coil will draw very low amperage, maybe 1 amp.

I mean the solenoid that has the house battery wire on one side of it. I think the coil has to do with the starting one.

No idea if it could be related, but my test with the solenoid closed had the middle post with the ?name? wire showing about 0.5v lower than the voltage at the engine battery side post. This was with the engine off, key to "ON".

I don't know where that thin middle wire comes from, but wondered if it could affect the voltage at the dash where the OP's voltmeter is mounted, but the real battery voltage be ok.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That could be due tovoltage drop on the small wire. Voltage drop to the voltmeter could be slightly effected by voltage drop.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So with the rocker, you can push MOM and now the solenoid closes, then you turn the key to "Start" and instead of the solenoid opening as when powered from the engine battery, it stays closed from being powered by the house battery?

So you should turn off the heater fan etc yourself to reduce the total drain on the house when starting?

maillemaker

office

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/20 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

So with the rocker, you can push MOM and now the solenoid closes, then you turn the key to "Start" and instead of the solenoid opening as when powered from the engine battery, it stays closed from being powered by the house battery?

So you should turn off the heater fan etc yourself to reduce the total drain on the house when starting?

As I understand it, when pushing and holding the spring-loaded MOM side of the rocker, it manually (from you pushing and holding the button) energizes the solenoid from the house batteries. It does not care what the key position is.

As long as you hold MOM down, the house and engine batteries will be ganged together. Normally you turn the key to start the engine at this time, and when the engine is running, you release the MOM button, whereupon the rocker returns to the center "off" position, and the charging solenoid disengages.

Yes if your house batteries are low then you might want to turn off house energy users to maximize what the house batteries can do.

Steve

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Yes if your house batteries are low then you might want to turn off house energy users to maximize what the house batteries can do."

No, that too, but I meant the loads on the engine battery that are on in "ON", but get cut off when you go to "START" so they are not on at the same time the starter is on.

I think you would need to turn off your "climate control" or whatever fans you have in the cab yourself.

Also you would need decent wiring from the house side, not the long #10 like I have. Mine is fine for charging amps to the house with my low amp alternator (pre-1992 Ford), but not so good if I had one of those MOM deals to start the starter at high amps.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The vehicle HVAC fans would still turn off when cranking. The momentary switch does not connect the house battery to the chassis run circuit; rather, it switches the control line to the battery combiner solenoid from the chassis run circuit (non-pressed) to a house battery circuit (pressed).

This does imply having a pretty heavy gauge wire between the solenoid and the batteries, and a sufficiently beefy solenoid. On my motorhome I think it's 2 gauge wire or so, with appropriately big fuses at either end.

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 05:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

Pretty much. Think of it this way - the solenoid has two power sources 1) chassis battery and 2) house battery. The rocker switch connects the house battery to the solenoid and is generally only used when the chassis battery is depleted and can't start the vehicle.

Kevin

maillemaker

office

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/20 06:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

No, that too, but I meant the loads on the engine battery that are on in "ON", but get cut off when you go to "START" so they are not on at the same time the starter is on.

So here is how it works:

DUAL
1) Flip rocker to DUAL position.
2) Set ignition key to RUN position (engine is generally running at this point).

Engine electrical system now energizes charge solenoid and house and engine batteries are ganged together.

MOM
1) Hold rocker to MOM position.

House batteries energizes charge solenoid. House and Chassis batteries are ganged together.

2) Turn Key to START.

All non-essential loads are turned off in START mode.
Engine starts.

3) Release key. It returns to RUN mode.

All normal chassis electrical functions resume.

4) Release MOM rocker.

Charge solenoid is disengaged.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/20 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Somehow I got the notion that when you turn the key to Start, that cuts off the blower motor etc including the power to the solenoid from the engine battery.

With MOM you get house battery power to the solenoid, not any engine battery power if I got that right.

So with MOM when you turn the key to Start it can cut off Engine battery power to the blower and solenoid, but that power is now from the House, so it all stays on is what I assumed.

You are saying that with MOM, the key in Start still cuts the house power to the blower, but leaves the power to the solenoid on so it stays closed.

So even when on engine battery, all normal, turning the key to Start cuts power to the blower as one event and separately somehow on a different line somehow also cuts the power to the solenoid.

MOM is able to distinguish between these two events and only cuts the power to the blower and not to the solenoid?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Need help replacing charging circuit solenoid.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.