cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

good Sam VS AARP.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
So which do you think would serve you better if you were old enough to use one, or both. Good Sam is good for "some" CGs, and AARP is good for "some" CGs. But AARP is good for some motels. So just wondering which y'all would prefer.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers
48 REPLIES 48

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
garmp wrote:
RGar974417 wrote:
I don't belong to ARRP.I am a Good Sam Life Member but I joined many years ago.Not sure I would do it again today. We rarely use private campgrounds anymore so the discount means nothing to us. We get 50% off Federal Campgrounds with the Senior Pass and state and county parks are generally cheaper than private parks. Plus they are usually more scenic and provide more room between sites.We had a nice large site right on Lewisville Lake near Ft Worth. Regular price was $38 for water and electric. With Senior Pass it was $19. So if you are looking to save money,there is where you should look.

Couldn't agree more, other than the fact we are not GS members, but a disabled Vet that can use FamCamps and am very appreciative of the fact that we can. Commercial parks just aren't for us. unless maybe for a night over or so.

I know this just became available to me, is there a list of the camp grounds & whats there?
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
RGar974417 wrote:
I don't belong to ARRP.I am a Good Sam Life Member but I joined many years ago.Not sure I would do it again today. We rarely use private campgrounds anymore so the discount means nothing to us. We get 50% off Federal Campgrounds with the Senior Pass and state and county parks are generally cheaper than private parks. Plus they are usually more scenic and provide more room between sites.We had a nice large site right on Lewisville Lake near Ft Worth. Regular price was $38 for water and electric. With Senior Pass it was $19. So if you are looking to save money,there is where you should look.

Couldn't agree more, other than the fact we are not GS members, but a disabled Vet that can use FamCamps and am very appreciative of the fact that we can. Commercial parks just aren't for us. unless maybe for a night over or so.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I will apologize for my last line it was uncalled for. You are correct in each person needs to decide for themselves. I felt your statement implied that making a decesion other then yours was not a free thinker, sorry if I took it out of context.

's ok.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Not in my best interest and cost me several thousand for the mathematical challenged. So if I don't think the way you do I'm not a free thinker, more nonsence.

Never said those that don't think like I do aren't free thinkers.
Let me refresh for you..what I said to the OP which was Quote;

"So read between the lines or do like other free thinkers and use your own judgement on choosing AARP or GS."

AARP organization .... I'm just the opposite of you.
I'm of the opinion the vast majority of retired folks enjoy AARP organization and all its benefits. With 38 million members AARP can't be all wrong.
I have my own horror story about what a insurance company that backs a certain political party did to me and mine but .....its also pointless.
I will apologize for my last line it was uncalled for. You are correct in each person needs to decide for themselves. I felt your statement implied that making a decesion other then yours was not a free thinker, sorry if I took it out of context.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of the PA places that we have stayed at had a 2 day max at the discount rate or some such. But if its a nice place, we always try to stay a bit longer to support a nice campground. I mean, other than filling slots, that's got to be why a campground does PA anyway- to increase their customer base.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:

Have to disagree. we've been using PA for the past 10 years and it's always been worth the cost of membership.
now that we're retired, it's been even more worth the cost. Around 75% of our entire 10 week trip, south to Calif and Arizona, has been 50% off the places we stay.

Those that don't like PPA works great for me. I can read notes that say certain days, months, time limit #of days, etc. Every park has been better that at least two KOA's come to mind. The less people use it the less chance they will not have a space when I call, retired you can be pretty flexible on where to stop. Go pay $40-$50 a night, you have $$ to burn. I'll stay with PPA twice as long for the same price you paid. Didn't get where I am wasting money.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
I dropped AARP, but not for political reasons. I would use AARP if it actually saved money. I have found that if I comparison shop I can find cheaper health, auto, and life insurance than the offers that AARP constantly sent me. You would think that if they were doing any good for their senior members that the insurance deals they offer would be the best. I think they pick the insurance companies they promote based on which ones give them the most kickback.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
bikendan wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
pnichols wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
pnichols wrote:

Now .... with respect to camping discounts ... the most worthless campng membership we have is Passport America. RARELY do commecial campgrounds honor their supposed 50% discount - there's always some excuse at campgrounds as to why our Passport America isn't honored. What a waste. ๐Ÿ˜ž

total nonsense.
but I always suggest to folks that they check the web site for locations/conditions/etc. If you can't save the pittance to sign up with PA which is about 2 nights use, you just aren't trying or it is not right for you.

bumpy

We're signed up with PA on a multi-year membership. HOWEVER, we don't "search intentionally" for PA campgrounds ... we choose camping spots based on where we are at the time (... and BTW we're not into "resort campgrounds", either).

It's just that usually the campgrounds that we pick either wind up not being a PA CG ... or are a PA CG, but for a variety of excuses don't happen to honor the PA discount "at that time". Baloney!!

PA needs to modify their contracts with campgrounds (and charge more for memberships if that'll help their business model) such that when you pull into a PA campground, you can COUNT ON getting the discount ... regardless of the day or season. Now that I could get excited about!
PA is designed to let campgrounds fill unsold spaces. No different then airlines giving discounts to fill unsold seats or discounts that allow motels to rent unfilled rooms. Just as airlines and motels if rv parks can fill their sites at full price why offer a massive discount. Just like airlines and motels you can save money in non peak times.

EXACTLY! What campground is going to give a 50% discount during high season, when they have all their campsites occupied at full price.:S
I'll agree that it may not work for everyone but that doesn't mean it's not worth the $44/yr membership. A two night stay often recoups the $44.

"What campground is going to give a 50% discount during high season, when they have all their campsites occupied at full price." .... Any PA contracted campground that gets subsidizd by Passport America to make up for the 1/2 price that a PA member doesn't pay because that customer is paying only 1/2 price.

What this means is that PA becomes a huge "campground pricing control insurance company" with a huge base of (hopefully ever increasing quantity) of members - only some of which are camping at any one given time across America.

The actuarial math would have to be worked for PA to offer this without impacting campground incomes in order to do this, of course. In fact that was the type of business model that I thought I was signing up for when I joined PA: Maybe higher membership fees ... but always 1/2 price on PA-contracted campgrounds anytime, anywhere for PA members .
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Not in my best interest and cost me several thousand for the mathematical challenged. So if I don't think the way you do I'm not a free thinker, more nonsence.

Never said those that don't think like I do aren't free thinkers.
Let me refresh for you..what I said to the OP which was Quote;

"So read between the lines or do like other free thinkers and use your own judgement on choosing AARP or GS."

AARP organization .... I'm just the opposite of you.
I'm of the opinion the vast majority of retired folks enjoy AARP organization and all its benefits. With 38 million members AARP can't be all wrong.
I have my own horror story about what a insurance company that backs a certain political party did to me and mine but .....its also pointless.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
pnichols wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
pnichols wrote:

Now .... with respect to camping discounts ... the most worthless campng membership we have is Passport America. RARELY do commecial campgrounds honor their supposed 50% discount - there's always some excuse at campgrounds as to why our Passport America isn't honored. What a waste. ๐Ÿ˜ž

total nonsense.
but I always suggest to folks that they check the web site for locations/conditions/etc. If you can't save the pittance to sign up with PA which is about 2 nights use, you just aren't trying or it is not right for you.

bumpy

We're signed up with PA on a multi-year membership. HOWEVER, we don't "search intentionally" for PA campgrounds ... we choose camping spots based on where we are at the time (... and BTW we're not into "resort campgrounds", either).

It's just that usually the campgrounds that we pick either wind up not being a PA CG ... or are a PA CG, but for a variety of excuses don't happen to honor the PA discount "at that time". Baloney!!

PA needs to modify their contracts with campgrounds (and charge more for memberships if that'll help their business model) such that when you pull into a PA campground, you can COUNT ON getting the discount ... regardless of the day or season. Now that I could get excited about!
PA is designed to let campgrounds fill unsold spaces. No different then airlines giving discounts to fill unsold seats or discounts that allow motels to rent unfilled rooms. Just as airlines and motels if rv parks can fill their sites at full price why offer a massive discount. Just like airlines and motels you can save money in non peak times.

EXACTLY! What campground is going to give a 50% discount during high season, when they have all their campsites occupied at full price.:S
I'll agree that it may not work for everyone but that doesn't mean it's not worth the $44/yr membership. A two night stay often recoups the $44.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
Is this thread being moderated?
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
No discount card is good unless you have use for it ! AARP pays for its self many times over at Dennys restaurants ,15% ain't bad . We can eat breakfast for less than $7 .
Passport is good if ya stay 3 or 4 times a year . We only stay at Passport , but I am a cheap SOB ! we are not campers , we are travelers and a " Resort " has no appeal . But different strokes for different folks .

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
pnichols wrote:

total nonsense.

bumpy