Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs: Grill conversion
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Grill conversion

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
perseid88

Black Hills

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can I convert any portable gas grill that uses the 1 lb propane bottles to use the quick connection of my 5er? I know I have to remove the regulator on the grill and add a short hose but wanted to know what other connection changes are needed and if I can expect the BTU output to be sufficient.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/20 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Should be no problem. Should perform exactly as it always has.

Do be aware there are two quick connect systems in use, depending on the age of the RV, neither of which is compatible with the other or with the ones used for compressed air.

Lwiddis

Monterey, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/20 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes. Should work well.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

bob_nestor

murphy

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes. You should find everything you need at sites like http://caloreequipment.com/. The two types of quick connect are the low pressure 250 series of connectors and the high pressure 5LPN. The two are not compatible. The way to tell which you have is to look at the female end of the quick connect. If it has a small round tube in the center it is the low pressure 250; if it has a small bar in the center it is the 5LPN high pressure.

When you do this though you need to replace the regulator that normally comes on the grill where the small bottle attaches, with just a valve assembly. The propane connection coming off your RV is already regulated and having a second regulator in the circuit will not work.

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The stove that I converted produced much higher BTU's with my big tank versus the small cannister. Evidence was the second and third burners had same flame as the first unlike the traditional first burner stealing all the pressure.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 2003 Jetcraft 2125 - Yamaha 150 HP & 8 HP Kicker

rrupert

NW PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/20 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a link to the Jayco owners forum with an extensive discussion for converting portable grills to the low-pressure connection. It is addressing Weber grills but it is the same principle as most other portable grills.

Portable Grill Conversion to Low-pressure

Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The post above has a lot of good info. You did not say what grill you have. I can only speak for the Weber Q.

The basic idea is your quick connect off your trailer delivers low pressure gas off the regulator in the trailer. Most grills have a regulator to regulate high pressure gas from the screw on cylinders. Therefore, you end up with 2 regulators in the chain which can result in bad performance of the grill. You need to set up your grill for the low pressure gas from the trailer.

The solution is to remove the regulator on the grill. With the Weber Q grills this is easily done as the regulator simply unscrews and you're left with an 1/8 NPT male fitting. Calor makes an adapter fitting for this with a quick connect for your hose. It's a simple 5 minute conversion on Weber grills.

If you need more info I have an old post on this forum with pictures and will try to find it.

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's my old post for Weber Q grills:

WEBER CONVERSION

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Grill conversion
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.