cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kirkland motor oil

two_travelers
Explorer
Explorer
I see that Costco has their own brand of synthetic motor oil. Like other Kirkland branded items, is it any good? Having a sale on 2 pack of 5qt containers for $25 delivered.
30 REPLIES 30

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used it in my wife's Prius. Check back in 5,000 miles.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
Oil is oil is oil.

Ignorance is bliss (so they say at least) until you have a lubrication related failure. Then you'll change your tune.... as your wallet gets emptied.
Show me any documentation that the use of one oil over another, with regular oil and filter changes, caused any engine failures.

You're right, there aren't any.

Actually there are. In the early/mid eighties, Audi had 1,000's, of premature turbo failures on their I5 (2.1 liter) engines (which they fixed under warranty) due to oil coking up the turbo housing bushings because the turbo would overheat if it wasn't cooled down properly prior to engine shut down. (after spirited driving) It cost Audi $$$$$$. The fix: Change the specs to improve the temperature stability of the oil which led to Audi specifying synthetic oil and changing it more frequently. Also, install after run electric water pumps, water/oil cooled turbos, and after run radiator fans. To be fair, Audi warned owners about the cool down issues but hey, . . . . . who reads owners manuals? Some, not all, of the turbo failures led to premature catastrophic engine failures.

Other manufacturers had similar issues with their turbo models until the learning curve took over.

Chum lee

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
For a long time I have read about many grades of synthetic oils. I would speculate Kirkland is at the low end of the list. Still going to meet specifications and provide long life of your engine.

As I pointed out earlier, Kirkland's full synthetic oil is the same as Amazon Basic full synthetic. There have been several test done on Amazon's oil (been out longer than Costco's label) so you just need to look at those comparison test to see where it stands. As also mentioned, Project Farm's YouTube channel has at least two side by side test of Amazon's oil compared to other top premium oils. If you like what you see for Amazon's, you'll also like Kirkland's.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look on your manufactuers website. Somewhere there is a list of approved oils. If Kirkland is on it you are golden.
I just bought the oil to do my annuel on my ISM and the generator. I am running Shell Rotella T-6. Dealer said he could get it for $35.00 a gal. I said I would bring him some I had from Walmart at $22.47. Keep in mind the ISM takes 10 gal+ then add for generator, it totaled at $339.78. That is just oil, no filters.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK maybe we can get back to Kirkland synthetic now ๐Ÿ˜‰

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
GDS-3950BH wrote:
It's the oil you want to use in the B&S powered lawnmower you bought for $89 in 1990, that burns a pint while cutting your 1/8 acre lot, not what you want to put in your 2020 Ford F-150 LOL.
Exactly what specification does the Kirkland synthetic oil not meet for your 2020 F150?

If you read through the prior posts, you would see my comments were in reference to an oil marketed by a certain "national retailer", which was introduced into this thread by ItzyRV. It was not referencing Kirkland oil. That national retailer is Dollar General and is the defendant in the frivolous class action mentioned.

Oil that states this CLEARLY on the label.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
GDS-3950BH wrote:
It's the oil you want to use in the B&S powered lawnmower you bought for $89 in 1990, that burns a pint while cutting your 1/8 acre lot, not what you want to put in your 2020 Ford F-150 LOL.
Exactly what specification does the Kirkland synthetic oil not meet for your 2020 F150?

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
GDS-3950BH wrote:
ItsyRV wrote:
Although the ambulance chasers are using the marketing of "obsolete" oil next to current standards as deceptive, in NM they did test the oils and discover the emissions control systems on many modern vehicles using the obsolete oil did cause problems with the emissions controls and may have damaged certain sensors. The long term effects are not know simply because there is no way to go back and test what had happen as nobody can say for sure what they sued last year or the year before. So, it's all based on what can be tested now.

It still does not do away with the fact that it was a frivolous lawsuit as supposedly the oil in question was clearly marked with the grade and other language, like not made for most engines made after 1930 er duh.

The ambulance chasers mentioned fine print and being on the shelf beside oil that had a higher spec. Fine print my rear end. All legalized extortion and DG will settle as that will be the cheaper route, the class will get a Dollar General gift card worth $2.00, and the ambulance chasers will get millions. It's the oil you want to use in the B&S powered lawnmower you bought for $89 in 1990, that burns a pint while cutting your 1/8 acre lot, not what you want to put in your 2020 Ford F-150 LOL.

It's not unlike the McDonald's coffee foolishness. Sure its hot, it's coffee. Just because your an idiot and spill it on your hoohaa, that should not give you the right to perform legalized extortion. I digress.

Well digressing as well, she lost the lawsuit in appeal, so McDonald's did not pay.

Al

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
For a long time I have read about many grades of synthetic oils. I would speculate Kirkland is at the low end of the list. Still going to meet specifications and provide long life of your engine.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
ItsyRV wrote:
Although the ambulance chasers are using the marketing of "obsolete" oil next to current standards as deceptive, in NM they did test the oils and discover the emissions control systems on many modern vehicles using the obsolete oil did cause problems with the emissions controls and may have damaged certain sensors. The long term effects are not know simply because there is no way to go back and test what had happen as nobody can say for sure what they sued last year or the year before. So, it's all based on what can be tested now.

It still does not do away with the fact that it was a frivolous lawsuit as supposedly the oil in question was clearly marked with the grade and other language, like not made for most engines made after 1930 er duh.

The ambulance chasers mentioned fine print and being on the shelf beside oil that had a higher spec. Fine print my rear end. All legalized extortion and DG will settle as that will be the cheaper route, the class will get a Dollar General gift card worth $2.00, and the ambulance chasers will get millions. It's the oil you want to use in the B&S powered lawnmower you bought for $89 in 1990, that burns a pint while cutting your 1/8 acre lot, not what you want to put in your 2020 Ford F-150 LOL.

It's not unlike the McDonald's coffee foolishness. Sure its hot, it's coffee. Just because your an idiot and spill it on your hoohaa, that should not give you the right to perform legalized extortion. I digress.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
ItsyRV wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
Oil is oil is oil.

Ignorance is bliss (so they say at least) until you have a lubrication related failure. Then you'll change your tune.... as your wallet gets emptied.
Show me any documentation that the use of one oil over another, with regular oil and filter changes, caused any engine failures.

Well there was the more recent issue with oil sold at cheapo places that did cause engine problems. The courts have agreed to combine all the various lawsuit all over the US into one class action from one major retailer who sold that junk. Although oil may be oil, SA or SB rated oil should not be used in vehicles manufactured after the 60's but it's still being sold at stores all overt the US to ignorant people.
An example of a cheapo place? Business name? Oil brand name? What was the damage to the engine? Sorry just my skepticism from my 30 years as a cop that I like to see proof of some sort.

Dollar General, house brand. No real damage to anything. More of a case of they sold oil and people did not read the specs on the bottle but looked past it at the cheap price. The claim was Dollar General is at fault because they put it on the shelf next to motor oil that did meet newer specs. Just a case of someone smelling a payday because somes people are cheap morons. You sold cheap oil and put it next to the Quaker State, I did not read the label, so pay me LOL.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
ItsyRV wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
Oil is oil is oil.

Well there was the more recent issue with oil sold at cheapo places that did cause engine problems. The courts have agreed to combine all the various lawsuit all over the US into one class action from one major retailer who sold that junk. Although oil may be oil, SA or SB rated oil should not be used in vehicles manufactured after the 60's but it's still being sold at stores all overt the US to ignorant people.
An example of a cheapo place? Business name? Oil brand name? What was the damage to the engine? Sorry just my skepticism from my 30 years as a cop that I like to see proof of some sort.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
Oil is oil is oil.