Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Kirkland motor oil
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Kirkland motor oil

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/20 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

Oil is oil is oil.

Ignorance is bliss (so they say at least) until you have a lubrication related failure. Then you'll change your tune.... as your wallet gets emptied.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/20 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If there is one store that has earned my loyalty, it is Costco. I trust their marketing and packaging departments have done their homework and are offering a quality product at a fair price. If they offered a 15/40 diesel blend I would change in a heartbeat. However, their chicken seems to be overpriced!

WILDEBILL308

FORT WORTH , TEXAS

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/20 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"However, their chicken seems to be overpriced!" That is because it is harder to catch those "free range" little suckers.????
Bill

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/20 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kirkland/Costco doesn't manufacture or blend oil. They buy blended bulk oil from those who do and package it in their own proprietary containers. Costco brands, IMO, have always had my respect as far as quality. (they aren't perfect) 10 quarts of synthetic oil for $2.50/quart is a good price provided the oil meets the specifications (in your owners manual) required. Any quality oil, synthetic of not, will have the specifications it meets written on the container. (API, ISO, ACEA, etc.) You can always pay more, if you want. It is your responsibility to confirm that the oil you purchase meets/excedes the requirements of your specific application. In short, you have to decide if good, . . . . . is good enough.

Chum lee

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/20 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SidecarFlip wrote:

azdryheat wrote:

Oil is oil is oil.

Ignorance is bliss (so they say at least) until you have a lubrication related failure. Then you'll change your tune.... as your wallet gets emptied.
Show me any documentation that the use of one oil over another, with regular oil and filter changes, caused any engine failures.

You're right, there aren't any.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/20 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have sold private label products for many years and there is no way that Costco/Walmart or any of the other major retailers are going to sell a private label product that doesn't meet or exceed the quality specs of the major brands. Same product that came out of my factory had multiple labels - prices/advertising budgets varied but the product was essentially the same. Think about it - big retailer has significant leverage on mfg and there is no way he is going to put his name on product if he has exposure.

Kevin

tinkerer

Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/20 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is interesting. I also have sent in sample of off brands synthetic oils after 5000 miles and the results said the oil was close to being new. All of these oils are made by major oil blenders.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dePQujX1g8I

ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/20 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

SidecarFlip wrote:

azdryheat wrote:

Oil is oil is oil.

Show me any documentation that the use of one oil over another, with regular oil and filter changes, caused any engine failures.

Well there was the more recent issue with oil sold at cheapo places that did cause engine problems. The courts have agreed to combine all the various lawsuit all over the US into one class action from one major retailer who sold that junk. Although oil may be oil, SA or SB rated oil should not be used in vehicles manufactured after the 60's but it's still being sold at stores all overt the US to ignorant people.

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/20 10:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ItsyRV wrote:

azdryheat wrote:

SidecarFlip wrote:

azdryheat wrote:

Oil is oil is oil.

Well there was the more recent issue with oil sold at cheapo places that did cause engine problems. The courts have agreed to combine all the various lawsuit all over the US into one class action from one major retailer who sold that junk. Although oil may be oil, SA or SB rated oil should not be used in vehicles manufactured after the 60's but it's still being sold at stores all overt the US to ignorant people.
An example of a cheapo place? Business name? Oil brand name? What was the damage to the engine? Sorry just my skepticism from my 30 years as a cop that I like to see proof of some sort.

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 04:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

ItsyRV wrote:

azdryheat wrote:

SidecarFlip wrote:

azdryheat wrote:

Oil is oil is oil.

An example of a cheapo place? Business name? Oil brand name? What was the damage to the engine? Sorry just my skepticism from my 30 years as a cop that I like to see proof of some sort.

Dollar General, house brand. No real damage to anything. More of a case of they sold oil and people did not read the specs on the bottle but looked past it at the cheap price. The claim was Dollar General is at fault because they put it on the shelf next to motor oil that did meet newer specs. Just a case of someone smelling a payday because somes people are cheap morons. You sold cheap oil and put it next to the Quaker State, I did not read the label, so pay me LOL.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Kirkland motor oil
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.