cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solar panels and battery cut off

irish31790
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new 5er. It came with solar charger - Go Power brand. I’ve only had it a couple of weeks and haven’t had a chance to do much with ie because of the holidays and weather. My question has to do with the batteries and the solar chargers. When I put the rig in storage I hit the battery disconnect. I assumed the solar charger would still charge with battery cut off. But when I returned the batteries were dead. I guess I shouldn’t use the battery cut-off??
Mr. B
Reading, OH
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman SRW Diesel
10 REPLIES 10

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have two problems.

First it would seem the cut off switch is allowing something to continue to drain your battery. Need to rewire something.

Second you need to move the solar controller connection to be direct to the battery terminals. BTW best practice to always disconnect the solar panels from the controller before you disconnect the battery from the controller.

justme
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
panels-->switch-->controller-->fuse-->battery bank-->cut off switch-->loads.

Never have the panels send power to the controller without the battery connected.

That is very good advise because when the solar charger is unloaded with the panels connected the voltage from the panel to the controller exceeds the rating of the semiconductors in the charge controller-- thus destroying the controller.

irish31790
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like I have some homework to do! Thanks for the ideas gang.
Mr. B
Reading, OH
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman SRW Diesel

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
panels-->switch-->controller-->fuse-->battery bank-->cut off switch-->loads.

Never have the panels send power to the controller without the battery connected.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
Battery must not be cut off from solar, its good bye controller if that is the way it is wired, check and be sure solar is wired to controller and direct to battery.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, a couple of weeks disconnected shouldn’t drain them.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
A couple of weeks with the batteries disconnected should not happen,even if the solar is not directly connected. I would start by testing those batteries. I'll bet the place you bought the rv had it connected to the shore power while you checked it out?

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
irish31790 wrote:
I have a new 5er. It came with solar charger - Go Power brand. I’ve only had it a couple of weeks and haven’t had a chance to do much with ie because of the holidays and weather. My question has to do with the batteries and the solar chargers. When I put the rig in storage I hit the battery disconnect. I assumed the solar charger would still charge with battery cut off. But when I returned the batteries were dead. I guess I shouldn’t use the battery cut-off??

Sounds like the solar is wired in such a way that it doesn't charge when the disconnect is off. Same with shore power; if the disconnect is off, batteries won't charge. I'd leave the disconnect on, OR re-wire the solar direct to the batteries.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Seems as if it comes with “solar prep” but not a solar system. Did you get a solar package?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Guess not. Do you have a wiring diagram? Did you check at the battery for any charging? Does the controller indicate charging? What’s the total solar watts? Which controller do you have?