Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Camper title and registration.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Camper title and registration.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reminds me the procedure I had in CA for getting CDL while using pickup for towing heavy trailer.
Even such CDL is clearly listed in books, took me 4 months of calling CHP headquarters till they found me DMV office in different county who would perform behind the wheel exam.
Than they put endorsement on my CDL that no officer could understand.

S Davis

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Washington will not do anything without a MSO, I just bought a new truck in Idaho and waited for my paperwork to arrive. After three weeks I went down to DMV to get the registration done and they said no paperand had arrived, I called the dealer and was informed that UPS had a delivery exception.
The UPS truck had crashed the trailer burned and the paperwork had been destroyed, it took them two months to figure out how to get a replacement MSO from the manufacturer. I had a temporary in the window for three months before I got my plates.

srschang

Western NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/20 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What's the advantage of having your truck camper titled? Or is it just another revenue stream for the state? If that's it, I'm amazed New York hasn't required it yet.

2020 Ram 3500 SRW Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/20 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

srschang wrote:

What's the advantage of having your truck camper titled? Or is it just another revenue stream for the state? If that's it, I'm amazed New York hasn't required it yet.

That is only because there are so few in NYS that the State cannot make enough money to bother with.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

S Davis wrote:

Washington will not do anything without a MSO, I just bought a new truck in Idaho and waited for my paperwork to arrive. After three weeks I went down to DMV to get the registration done and they said no paperand had arrived, I called the dealer and was informed that UPS had a delivery exception.
The UPS truck had crashed the trailer burned and the paperwork had been destroyed, it took them two months to figure out how to get a replacement MSO from the manufacturer. I had a temporary in the window for three months before I got my plates.

That sounds like a nightmare.

What are the odds of that UPS truck crashing and burning up?

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

srschang wrote:

I like having proof of ownership. Its not required and there was no cost involved in getting one.

ryoung

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you buy the camper from a private seller? I'm curious as to why the seller could not supply you with a title or a Certificate of Origin?

ryoung

* This post was edited 01/18/20 01:58pm by ryoung *

2018 Ram 3500 SRW Diesel
2019 Wolf Creek 840

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ryoung wrote:

Did you buy the camper from a private seller? I'm curious as to why the seller could not supply you with a title or a Certificate of Origin?

ryoung

I bought it from a dealer. I have no idea how many times its changed hands.

The selling dealer nor the DMV ever mentioned a certificate or origin.

This thread is the first time I have ever heard of one.

ryoung

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I understand it, a manufacturers Certificate of Origin is a document used to obtain the first title for a TC. Manufacturers of TC's do not assign a VIN. Instead they assign a unique serial number and attach it to the unit. This number is included on the certificate of origin that is given to the selling dealer.

If the dealer sells it to someone who lives in a state that requires a title, (there are only 8 states), the dealer will use the certificate of origin to apply for the title.

If a buyer lives in a state that does not require a title, the dealer will (should) pass the certificate of origin on to the buyer, reminding him that is should be kept as proof of purchase. This can then be substituted as a title if later sold.

As an example in 2004 I bought, a TC when I lived in Indiana, which does not require titling or registration. Ten years later I took the camper to Oregon and put it on consignment with a dealer.
Luckily I had kept the original Certificate of Origin as it was accepted by the dealer as proof of ownership just like a title.

Had I not had the original certificate I would have had to go through the same fiasco that you did.

ryoung

* This post was edited 01/19/20 06:44pm by ryoung *

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ryoung wrote:

Had I not had the original certificate I would have had to go through the same fiasco that you did.

ryoung

We need a like button.

I live in Utah and the camper was originally sold in Texas.

When the ran the serial number nothing came up so it never had been titled or licensed.

I got my title so now I'm happy. [emoticon]

I just feel sorry for the next guy.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Camper title and registration.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.