Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Another Tesla problem
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Another Tesla problem

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/20 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A computer is NOT infallible...nor perfect...

A sensor going bad or flaky will or can have the logger...log nothing wrong...

For those who compare to an airliners autopilot...ask how many redundant systems and components a car has ? vs any airliner...

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/20 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

For those who compare to an airliners autopilot...ask how many redundant systems and components a car has ? vs any airliner...
I understand many vehicles have throttle by wire at this point. Minimum three sensors must give same reading or the vehicle does not move.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/20 09:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stripit wrote:

In the report you posted "Three weeks after the crash, the owner got a letter from Tesla saying that the accelerator was depressed to 48% just before the crash and 98% at the time of impact. The owner still believes the car accelerated by itself, the complaint stated."
They can tell a lot of things going on when the vehicle is operating and I have to think the investigation should not be that hard to do. Call up the vehicles report and show the investgators.Did it fail or did it do what the driver asked it to do?

But it is drive by wire. So was it pushed or did the computer just read it that way? I have no idea. Just playing devils advocate.

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/20 09:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

Will be interesting to see how "uncontrolled acceleration" works for towing with the pickups.
Tesla

An unidentified person petitioned the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration asking for an investigation into the problem. An agency document outlining the allegations shows 127 owner complaints to the government/QUOTE

More FUD from Tesla shorters,maybe!?
Lol

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/20 09:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

Pressing on the brake pedal will stop Tesla and every other car too every time,
asuming the brakes work.
Computer aka AP can NOT overide brakes.

Some dumbel obviously steped on go pedal instead of brake and blames the car.
Tesla has log to prove exactly that.

I noticed There are people who use left foot on brake and right on acelerator,sometimes at same time !!!
easy to get confused in a hurry.

ROBERTSUNRUS

Salem, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/20 10:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

BenK wrote:

Pressing on the brake pedal will stop Tesla and every other car too every time,
asuming the brakes work.
Computer aka AP can NOT overide brakes.

Some dumbel obviously steped on go pedal instead of brake and blames the car.
Tesla has log to prove exactly that.

I noticed There are people who use left foot on brake and right on acelerator,sometimes at same time !!!
easy to get confused in a hurry.

[emoticon] Hi, Back in the old days, Ford products depended on the brake light switch to shut off the cruise control; This was before the vacuum dump switch was used. If you were using your cruise control and your stop light switch failed, hitting the brakes would cause the cruise control to go FULL THROTTLE. And no amount of pressure from the brakes could stop the car. I turned the ignition off and hit the brakes as hard as possible with both feet on the brake pedal and pulling my body with both hands on the steering wheel. Very close to crashing.

If the engine or motor wants to go, your brakes will not stop it.

"> Bob ">
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/20 11:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:

If the engine or motor wants to go, your brakes will not stop it.
NO, I don't buy that story for any vehicle.

NJRVer

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/20 05:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Other thing to consider.
I did a job for a customer with a tesla and he told me he rarely, rarely ever uses his brake pedal.
He said the gas pedal works if push it you go, and if you let off of it the car will stop.

He said it took getting used to at first but now he barely needs the brake pedal.
Could be instance in OP's link where the driver was doing that and in a panic situation stomped on the gas pedal instead of the brake because they were so used to never using the brake.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NJRVer wrote:

Other thing to consider.
I did a job for a customer with a tesla and he told me he rarely, rarely ever uses his brake pedal.
He said the gas pedal works if push it you go, and if you let off of it the car will stop.

He said it took getting used to at first but now he barely needs the brake pedal.
Could be instance in OP's link where the driver was doing that and in a panic situation stomped on the gas pedal instead of the brake because they were so used to never using the brake.

That is exactly how “epedal” works in a leaf and “hold” works on a Tesla. You can literally go weeks at a time without touching your brake pedal. Which is why EV’s generally never need brake service.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/20 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NJRVer wrote:

Other thing to consider.

You may be on to something. Changing basic driver controls should be approached with caution and only with significant study. Muscle memory is tough to reprogram, especially under a stressful situation where humans go back to basics.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Another Tesla problem
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.