cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why do I still look at my tankl level gauges?

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I was just thinking about this. I know we are all familiar with stock tank level gauges not being accurate. On my trailer sometimes I push the button and the level looks right. And sometimes I push the button and know in my head that there is no way it's that full. So it brings up the questions?

Why do I press the button at all?
  • If the reading seems high I ignore it because these sensors all stink.
  • If the level seems about right I believe it. But then how do I know it's not actually wrong?

I guess my theory is that based on the way the sensors work it is safe to say they may read high, but they will never read low.

What's your theory, Am I on the right track or all full of p@@p?
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup
21 REPLIES 21

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Figured out why you still look at gauges. My Fresh water still works after almost 15 years
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DavidandDayle
Explorer
Explorer
Our grey tank gauge seems to be reasonably accurate. I dump both tanks at the same time. Only worry is if someone has been over-zealous dumping dishwater down the toilet.

On the last trip we were more worried about the readings on the propane tank. How does that work when it starts off only 80% full?
David and Dayle

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Hook up a hose and macerator. I'm sure the garden department would appreciate the free fertilizer.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
importman wrote:
MrWizard wrote:
When i step on the toilet and it burps,
I know it's time to go dump
The water gauge works, and i can open a compartment door and visibly check the fresh water

That's what I do. Never been wrong.

So now you know it is full while staying overnight at Walmart, then should we do a Cousin' Eddie sewage drop?

importman
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
The water gauge works, and i can open a compartment door and visibly check the fresh water

That's what I do. Never been wrong.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine quit working completely . They don't even light up. I really don't care. I can open a compartment door and see the level of the fresh water tank. I can look down the toilet and see the level in the black water tank. And, as just a weekend camper I've never gotten the gray tank to full.

Oh, and, I have a gauge the I plug into an 12 volt outlet to tell me the voltage in the batteries.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
philh wrote:
wildtoad wrote:
DSDP Don, I have to think if a 40 or more gallon black tank only lasts 2.5 days, you need to cut down on the beer. ??

I was thinking something similar. For two of us, 33 gallons is about 5 days.

My TT sleeps 10. I'm lucky to make 2 full days. Plus I have told them all to use plenty of water
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
wildtoad wrote:
DSDP Don, I have to think if a 40 or more gallon black tank only lasts 2.5 days, you need to cut down on the beer. ??

I was thinking something similar. For two of us, 33 gallons is about 5 days.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:

A very accurate way to determine when it's time.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
opnspaces wrote:
Why do I press the button at all?

Question: Do you go to Church?
related: Do you believe in Miracles?

You push the button to see if a Miracle has happened and the sensors are working as they should instead of as they do.. Of course they are not. but hey. Faith springs eternal they say.

Why the need to slam God and His children by comparing them to your cheap and broken black tank gauge?

MrWizard
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
as stated above, we check the level of the FW tank.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't been RVing for several months but I seem to remember that the Freshwater gauge might be `accurate' and maybe even the gray tank.
But the black tank is hopeless. I just go by the number of days we've been camping since the last dump. I think we can go a week.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I loved the ones on my first trailer. They were in 1/4 increments. Now they are in 1/3โ€™s. Sucks when you see 2/3โ€™s and all of a sudden full. At least with the 1/4โ€™s when I seen 3/4โ€™s I knew I was close.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!