cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Route through the Smokies

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looking for advice going from Gatlinburg to Ashville NC. Anyone made that trip and know of the best road? Is 441 across the Smokies any good for a Diesel Pusher with Toad? Planning for the summer-fall of 2020. Thanks for any advice. Arnold, Happy travels.
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime
14 REPLIES 14

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
441 isn't just a challenge is isn't very wide when you got crazy 4 wheeler s on both sides of switch backs. Relaxing I don't think so LOL.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
howdy35 wrote:
Looking for advice going from Gatlinburg to Ashville NC. Anyone made that trip and know of the best road? Is 441 across the Smokies any good for a Diesel Pusher with Toad? Planning for the summer-fall of 2020. Thanks for any advice. Arnold, Happy travels.

As a personal view driving in the Smokies will Test even the Best drivers - PERIOD.

Straight is not in the description of anything.

Can you, sure, either one but IMHO I-40 is just Crazy - the speed limit for trucks is set to the slowest truck driving as they are - for the most part - Restricted to the right lane, and most are doing well over 65 on a road designed for a Sports Car, if you dare to get into the Left lane you will be run over by the local traffic doing 75+.

I remember thinking that while I love a Challenge and I love to Drive this would not be Fun in the RV - Luckily I was in Really Nice New Truck (Brothers) and it was still a drivers drive.

Guess what I'm trying to say is that it is like Driving the Washington Beltway - At Rush Hour - with two lanes closed - Jersey walls on both sides - 11' lanes - at 75+ MPH.

So while RT 441 may be a challenge it will allow you to get out of the way and take the drive at a much more leisurely pace.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
kohldad wrote:
Then you still have to deal with 19 and it's ups/downs to Asheville.

Just follow US-441 on south a few miles to US-74. 4 lane to Asheville.

But I-40 would be a better choice.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
The smell of burned brakes is in the air constantly on 441 going over the mountain. If you are not well experienced in steep grade driving and using that exhaust brake and down shifting you will be in for a workout and possible a brake job by the time you are down the mountain. Its easy enough to head east on 321 and go over to 40. Do your sightseeing in the toad and take the DP over to 40 when you head out.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
I40. Period.
Lived in that area most of my life and spent untold hours on all those roads. Just watch for the semiyearly rockslide that narrows the interstate down to 1 lane for a month or so.

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you are familiar and comfortable with mountain driving, I wouldn't recommend it. Once you pass Sugarlands Visitor Center @ 1,480', it's 13.3 miles constant up to Newfoundland Gap @ 5,040'. On the way down you drop to 2,800' in 8.4 miles before becoming more gradual decent for the remaining 7.4 miles to Oconaluftee Visitor Center. Then you still have to deal with 19 and it's ups/downs to Asheville.

You can figure about 1.5 hour via I40 or 3 hours via 441 because while it isn't that much further, you will be a lot slower.

I go over the mountain frequently for the last 40 years but I definitely don't go out of my way to do it. Only if I'm in GA and headed to Elkmont with a stop at Smokemount will I usually take 441.

Since you will be in Gatlinburg to start with, make sure you take a day to drive up to Clingmans Dome in the car so you can stop at the overlooks on the way up and down. Then you can decide yourself.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
I live here don't take 441 you will be sorry with all the switch backs and narrow rds for a suv ok but that's it.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on what you want. Beautiful scenery take 441 and enjoy. Fast route take die-40. Although the turns on that route at highway speeds is not relaxing. IDE rather take 441 even though it is a bit out of the way!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Horsedoc wrote:
You would be headed too far south to do the 441 route. Go up to I-40 and take a right ๐Ÿ™‚

Yes, it is 6 miles farther to take 441 rather than I40 but you would miss some of the best scenery in the Smoky Mountains.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
You would be headed too far south to do the 441 route. Go up to I-40 and take a right ๐Ÿ™‚
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

fishingbob61
Explorer
Explorer
I-40 all the way.

Bob
Bob and Sue
51 years camping
2005 Fleetwood Bounder DP
2004 Chevy. Tahoe

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
accsys wrote:
If it were me, I would take I-40. You definitely DO NOT want to take US 19 between Cherokee and Maggie Valley. US 74 from 441 just south of Cherokee to US 19 north of Waynesville is a good ride but you will wind up on I-40 regardless.

I agree with above. 441 to Cherokee is full of gawkers and very tight turns and grades. 19 to Maggie Valley is not a good road for a coach, although I've been on worse, but certainly not fun. I-40 is the way to go.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me, I would take I-40. You definitely DO NOT want to take US 19 between Cherokee and Maggie Valley. US 74 from 441 just south of Cherokee to US 19 north of Waynesville is a good ride but you will wind up on I-40 regardless.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I did it with a gasser pulling a toad. I am sure that a DP should make it without any issues.